• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntables?

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looking to get my first turntable.

Not really sure what I should be paying attention to but so far rega planar 1, project DC and Sony ps-hx500 are names that came up.

I'm considering adding a Cambridge duo per this site's recommendation but I don't know what else.

This is not a thread of debate or counter arguments. The decision has been made, now I'm just looking for guidance. Please do not waste your time if you don't know have any insights on the 3 mentionned turn tables.

My stack is in my signature

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Technics SL1200 Mk II deserves serious consideration: Published specs are excellent, but affordably-priced ones are often well-used and lacking the dust cover, hinges and mounts. Nothing wrong with higher MK # but they have more DJ-specific features and aren't necessarily newer.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Not really sure what I should be paying attention to but so far rega planar 1, project DC and Sony ps-hx500 are names that came up.

I'm considering adding a Cambridge duo per this site's recommendation but I don't know what else.

Be careful that the cambridge duo doesn't have a volume control for line out.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I have a Technics SL1200 MkII... Since more than 30 years. This is the one I do not resell. It is still working fine, with new not expansive cartridge from Audio Technica.

I've bought an Audio Technica 120 for my nephew but there is some things to do on it (remove their electronic card, and create silent block to avoid motor noise in the audio signal). Here in Europe I think Reloop are a little bit more expansive than the AT but still <500€ again really good value. This kind of brand is for people working with their turntables, it is a different needs than "audiophile" who want to spend a lot for an esoteric sort of thing ans sometimes really less competent.

I prefer no belt, this is one less problem.

When you will have your turntable, the main point is to set up correctly : the position of the cartridge is really deterministic (search protractor).
You also will need a good phono preamp and the one you have seen is really a good one.

Don't spend a lot for the first turntable

Some links:
https://vintagetechnics.audio/turntables.php
https://www.vinylengine.com/
also on android there is a funny app name is "RPM speed and flow"

And do not spend tooo much!

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor

You do have the option of not getting a turntable. If you don't have LPs already note that the new LPs are all [with a few, expensive, exceptions] derived from digital files. Those digital files will sound better than the LP due to obvious factors, such as the groove of the LP losing 40% of its energy by the time the stylus gets to the deadwax. There's no fix for this. Throw in self-noise, eccentric LPs and the usually bad condition of used LPs, you have a losing proposition all around. If you haven't got into the LP habit already, this is a great time to avoid it. Digital has closed the gap as regards timbre, always had analog beat as regards pitch security and self-noise.

Just say no.

patient_ot

Even though I like vinyl and digital formats, I wouldn't recommend vinyl to most people.

The biggest reason is vinyl is trendy right now and shopping for records isn't like it was years ago when you could pick up a lot of great records cheaply. If you have common tastes, and are searching for the same bog standard classic rock records as everyone else, you'll be overpaying for albums in the used bins or buying half-assed, digitally sourced reissues.

There are new AAA records still being made but they are a small percentage of what's out there and they tend to start at $35-40 a pop and go up from there.

RE: the turntables listed in OP's post, I wouldn't recommend any of them. If OP is hell bent on getting into vinyl, I would look for something like a late 70s or early 80s mid-grade Japanese direct drive TT that takes universal headshells. Depending on where you live a used 1200 at a good price isn't all that easy to come by anymore and many examples are trashed and not worth buying. You could buy a new MK7 (which I may do in 2020) but that is $1,000.

Last edited:

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Lurk your local flea markets. I once picked up a Realistic turntable (probably built by Sanyo) and a crate of classical LPs for $25.

OP
confucius_zero

confucius_zero

Just say no.

This is not a thread of debate or counter arguments, it's to help get the proper vinyl equipment to enjoy such a medium. Please stay on subject.

You're welcome to create your own thread for this or disregard.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are new AAA records still being made
Are these really all analogue? The cutting lathe electronics for groove pitch and monoing the bass were upgraded to digital 40 odd years ago and I would be surprised if there were any analogue equivalent left un-scrapped, unless somebody like Tim de Paravincini is making it specially.

patient_ot

Are these really all analogue? The cutting lathe electronics for groove pitch and monoing the bass were upgraded to digital 40 odd years ago and I would be surprised if there were any analogue equivalent left un-scrapped, unless somebody like Tim de Paravincini is making it specially.

Yes. There are number of mastering studios that can still cut AAA and do it for specialized releases that usually cost a lot more than your crappy $20 reissue. Think old restored lathes and custom built or restored equipment. No digital delay preview heads.

MOFI has their own AAA cutting system. Bernie Grundman Mastering, Kevin Gray @ Cohearant, Ray Staff @ Air, and Caspar Sutton Jones @ Gearbox can all cut AAA, to name a few. Joe Schmo at the pressing plant doing cut rate lacquers isn't cutting AAA.

Also, Quality Record Pressings purchased all of Doug Sax's studio gear from the Mastering Lab and is starting to do AAA cuts again at their facility in Kansas. Stephen Marsh also recently got an AAA cutting system up and running, though I'm not sure they have cut many AAA lacquers just yet since this is fairly recent and the studio does a lot of digital mastering work.

As an example, I'm listening to an archival live recording of Johnny Griffin and Eddie Lockjaw Davis right now. This an AAA cut directly from radio broadcast session reels. Cut by Bernie Grundman. $50 for a 2xLP.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If like me you enjoy electronic music which sometimes is vinyl only and not even digital, or have old rare records only on that medium, having a turntable really makes sense.

Otherwise you might think twice because it is gonna take you a lot of money and room. Not very planet-friendly neither.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 4 record players and a lot of LPs. I don't play them often but would never sell.
I haven't heard a Rega for years but they are a serious engineering company.
The least expensive TT I would buy personally is the re-engineered new Technics SL1200GR.

Twitch54

The least expensive TT I would buy personally is the re-engineered new Technics SL1200GR.

I hear ya and I'm a big fan of the 1200G but I agree with the reviews of that table, given it's price point not the best value. Regardless, buy the time one adds a 'minimalist' cartridge and phono-pre you're at or above 2k .........

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

This is not a thread of debate or counter arguments. The decision has been made, now I'm just looking for guidance. Please do not waste your time if you don't know have any insights on the 3 mentionned turn tables.

See if you can compare the Rega P1 with the Rega P2. The P2 is reckoned to be a lot better for 50% more.

Robin L

Master Contributor
This is not a thread of debate or counter arguments, it's to help get the proper vinyl equipment to enjoy such a medium. Please stay on subject.

You're welcome to create your own thread for this or disregard.
Check the measurements at Hi Fi news, that can clarify your choices.

Edit: all three are low-cost [relatively speaking], belt driven tables. The Sony has a built in phono pre and and ADC for needledrops, costs more. I tend to find low cost, low mass belt drive tables to have dodgy wow and flutter, tend to be a little out of spec in general due to cost measures. Similarly priced as the Rega, including a phono pre/ADC and being a direct drive table, the Audio Technica LP120 is another table worth considering.

Review with technical specs:

https://referencehometheater.com/review/audio-technica-lp120-turntable-review/

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear ya and I'm a big fan of the 1200G but I agree with the reviews of that table, given it's price point not the best value. Regardless, buy the time one adds a 'minimalist' cartridge and phono-pre you're at or above 2k .........
The only review I have seen with rumble and w&f measurements was excellent.

Top Bottom