• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Set-Up for Small Room - Does This Make Sense?

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why would I STILL need a MiniDSP Flex if I have EQ controls through the WiiM though? Or (if I am lucky) if the active monitors/speakers I end up with have EQ/DSP-like functions themself? Is it because I am misunderstanding, and you're actually saying (1) MiniDSP Flex + WiiM Mini OR (2) WiiM Pro Plus with no MiniDSP Flex?
The miniDSP provides more powerful capabilities than the WiiM, which is limited to 4 PEQ channels. It can also have (at exrea expense) Dirac Live, which is an automated room calibration and EQ system. To do room compensation one needs a microphone (Umik-1), analysis software (REW) and some form of EQ (WiiM or miniDSP). You could start with just the WiiM and add a miniDSP later if you want more DSP than the WiiM provides.

OP
56suited

56suited

The miniDSP provides more powerful capabilities than the WiiM, which is limited to 4 PEQ channels. It can also have (at exrea expense) Dirac Live, which is an automated room calibration and EQ system. To do room compensation one needs a microphone (Umik-1), analysis software (REW) and some form of EQ (WiiM or miniDSP). You could start with just the WiiM and add a miniDSP later if you want more DSP than the WiiM provides.
THAT takes a massive amount of pressure off of my wallet...and gives me more budget space to go heavy either into TT or speakers (I could likely hit the 700EUR range now, or stick with around 400EUR and get a sub...or stands...or isolation pads...or whatever)

So...

Turntable (built in phono stage optional) > phono stage (separate optional if not built into the TT) > WiiM Pro Plus > amplifier (optional, and likely unnecessary if going with active speakers...unless I decide on a sub) > speakers

On the topic of cabling, do I need TRS/XLR inputs and outputs, or can I use RCA to TRS/XLR plugs for higher-end monitors?

Last edited:

Zapper

THAT takes a massive amount of pressure off of my wallet...and gives me more budget space to go heavy either into TT or speakers (I could likely hit the 700EUR range now, or stick with around 400EUR and get a sub...or stands...or isolation pads...or whatever)

So...

Turntable (built in phono stage optional) > phono stage (separate optional if not built into the TT) > WiiM Pro Plus > amplifier (optional, and likely unnecessary if going with active speakers...unless I decide on a sub) > speakers
Sounds good.
On the topic of cabling, do I need TRS/XLR inputs and outputs, or can I use RCA to TRS/XLR plugs for higher-end monitors?
You can use inexpensive RCA to TRS/XLR cables.

quadratique

Hi, I am moving along similar lines. I have listened to many amps, and to me Arcam A5 / Rotel 12 / Fezz Torus 5060 all sounded very similarly good. Marantz 70s was waaaaaay below these. So unless you have actually heard them in A/B testing, I would definitely drop that from the list.

OP
56suited

56suited

My space and needs have changed, and my options are becoming limited.
  • I have ~2m² (80"²) of listening space so we're talking really near-field constraints. I think the ELAC DBR62s are a no-go now.
  • With such near-field constraints there's only so much correction I can do, whether in a DSP or room treatments
  • I probably won't even get close to 86dB volume on a regular basis, so the focus now is on wide frequency range, and high fidelity
  • I'll probably want/need a headphone option
Here's my most recent plans:
  1. Pro-Ject Debut PRO S Turntable - €900
  2. iFi Audio ZEN Phono MM & MC Phono Stage - €200
  3. WiiM Amp - €350
  4. Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers - €279
  5. Bowers & Wilkins ASW608 Subwoofer (only for bass extension...the Diamonds don't get down low enough on their own, and this is the only sub I can find that will fit into one of the squares of a Kallax shelf unit from IKEA) - €499
Alternatively, I'm wondering if the Adam T5V monitors, or even a single Adam A44H would do. I don't have space for the accompanying S10 subwoofer though, and I think it's a bad move to go to the T7V for bass extension...right? Here's an alternative setup:
  1. Pro-Ject Debut PRO S Turntable - €900
  2. iFi Audio ZEN Phono MM & MC Phono Stage - €200
  3. WiiM Pro Plus - €249
  4. Adam T5V (pair) - €366
Only the first option let's me plug in a TV for video game and TV audio. None of the options give me a wired headphone option, which I'll likely need considering my wife is an evil, fiery dragon.

Any suggestions or substitutes? My wife was like "dude just get one of those all in one turntable things" and I almost murdered her.

Zapper

How about a low profile sub?

Or this teeny Audioengine sub:
Dimensions (HWD)
10" (25.2 cm) x 8.7" (22.2 cm) x 10" (25.3 cm)

Or this:
Dimensions (HWD)
11.25" (28.6 cm) x 11.25" (28.6 cm) x 11.25" (28.6 cm)

I like Plan 1 with the Wharfedales and whatever tiny sub you can get

Last edited:

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
I got rid of like 22,000 CDs acquired during my youth, and now all I have is Spotify and Tidal. Re-entry into collecting music via vinyl is sort of a nostalgic return to analog, embracing the artwork and old format with only a small selection of vinyl (I have 10 albums right now, and I have a list of ~200 LPs that I'll take time looking for and buying). It's going to be a lot of fun crate-digging at garage sales and other places. Call it a mid-life crisis.

Do I even need a DAC if my only other source of music would be Spotify or Tidal?
I did this too. I dropped $1500 a really nice turn table and cart, and then started buying vinyl, all for the exact same reasons you state. I burned out on it pretty fast (like SO many others who do this!), and now I just don't use any of it anymore, and I feel a bit foolish for the whole endeavor. I bet I haven't used it in nearly a year, and most of the action it gets is simply people thinking it's cool when they come over, which I could care less about. I thought I'd wanted all the "nostalgia" but it wore off quick compared to the sound quality and ease of use of digital (not to mention the lack of groove noise, click, pops, etc). If I were you, I'd reconsider adding the TT later if you decide you still want it, and instead put together a better core system now.

OP
56suited

56suited

I did this too. I dropped $1500 a really nice turn table and cart, and then started buying vinyl, all for the exact same reasons you state. I burned out on it pretty fast (like SO many others who do this!), and now I just don't use any of it anymore, and I feel a bit foolish for the whole endeavor. I bet I haven't used it in nearly a year, and most of the action it gets is simply people thinking it's cool when they come over, which I could care less about. I thought I'd wanted all the "nostalgia" but it wore off quick compared to the sound quality and ease of use of digital (not to mention the lack of groove noise, click, pops, etc). If I were you, I'd reconsider adding the TT later if you decide you still want it, and instead put together a better core system now.
I'm still investigating/obsessing...but like with so many others, your feedback is helpful. I'm enjoying learning things and trying to figure out the sweet spot.

poxymoron

I completely agree. I've coveted turntables for some time now but I've realised it's for nostalgia only, and perhaps a bit of hifi jewellery, but I know I'd never use it. Drop the turntable and phono stage completely and you'll be in the ballpark for some end game Neumann nearfield speakers. You may never look back.

OP
56suited

56suited

I think I am really, really close...here's where I am at:
  1. Pro-Ject Debut Pro S Turntable
  2. Ifi Audio Zen Phono Stage
  3. WiiM Amp
  4. Wharfedale Diamond 12.1
  5. Klipsch R-8SW Subwoofer (down firing, small SW that will sit in a IKEA Kallax shelf)
My room is 77" x 111" (197cm x 282cm) so totally near-field listening, and my dB cap will likely be around 75...so the SW is purely for frequency range extension.

I sadly have decided against the Adam Audio T5Vs and T7Vs because I can't test/listen to them, and I'm worried about having to PEQ the crap out of them just to get them sounding pleasant on the low end. I am too new to this hobby to recognize if a truly flat monitor sound will be appealing or not - and I am not a producer or a DJ. Also, the Adam Audio SWs (Sub8 and T10S) are probably too big for my room, and I wouldn't be able to place them right.

Maybe I am wrong.

JeremyFife

Nice :)

Don't know enough about subwoofers to comment on that bit, but sounds terrific.

nerdemoji

i dont know if i posted this here yet but i can advocate for the kef q150 (i have them) which measure better and are cheaper

OP
56suited

56suited

i dont know if i posted this here yet but i can advocate for the kef q150 (i have them) which measure better and are cheaper
In Europe, they are more expensive. Where do you see their measurements? ASR has no review.

OP
56suited

56suited

Less than 6m2?l.. skip the Hifi system and buy some earphones!
Funny that you mention that. It's likely where I am headed.
  • Pro-Ject X1B turntable
  • ifi Phono Stage
  • Wiim Pro Plus
  • An amp that I can grow into later (ex: powerful enough to drive a set of speakers with a sub, but primarily a headphone amp (got any recommendations?)
I own V-Moda Crossfade 3s, but might spring for some higher-end cans. I wish I could go bookshelf or even active monitor, but the room is too small and I have finally come to terms with it.

OP
56suited

56suited

Funny that you mention that. It's likely where I am headed.
  • Pro-Ject X1B turntable
  • ifi Phono Stage
  • Wiim Pro Plus
  • An amp that I can grow into later (ex: powerful enough to drive a set of speakers with a sub, but primarily a headphone amp (got any recommendations?)
I own V-Moda Crossfade 3s, but might spring for some higher-end cans. I wish I could go bookshelf or even active monitor, but the room is too small and I have finally come to terms with it.
I'm more than likely going with the Topping A70 Pro.

Top Bottom