• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntable upgrade question

spiral scratch

I think the more I've read up on suggestions and forums, Direct drive is the way to go.

Yeh, I agree with you. Pay attention to the review specs as there are some DD turntables that don't work so well. Some good suggestions in this thread what to look for. If there was something better than the DD for the same price that came with a belt I'd consider it.

I also bought all my turntables used. One direct drive from the 70s and one belt drive from the 80s and they both are still working fine. I also use a couple from the 60s that I've upgraded with new parts.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeh, I agree with you. Pay attention to the review specs as there are some DD turntables that don't work so well. Some good suggestions in this thread what to look for. If there was something better than the DD for the same price that came with a belt I'd consider it.

I also bought all my turntables used. One direct drive from the 70s and one belt drive from the 80s and they both are still working fine. I also use a couple from the 60s that I've upgraded with new parts.
with belt drive you need to check for right speed ... a stretched belt is a common thing.

spiral scratch

with belt drive you need to check for right speed ... a stretched belt is a common thing.

Yep, I've replaced the belt on my Rega a couple of times now, so I guess that's once every 10 years or so. They run fast so a stretched belt actually makes the platter spin at the right speed. Kind of like a stopped watch having the correct time twice a day. Not exactly a great engineering proposition, but if I understand it correctly it was done intentionally to make their turntables sound more 'lively'. I didn't know any better when I bought it and for $150 plus a couple of dozen LPs it worked out OK for me.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Rega turntables are not my religion :)

Top Bottom