• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntable upgrade question

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Yes Pro-ject tables come with RCA sockets and an included separate RCA lead as opposed to fixed un detachable cables.
I also found the included cable to be of good quality. I really can not complain.

Same with my new Technics 1200 GR. The fixed cable was indeed a nuisance on old Technics turntables in the past. Today, very few turntables have fixed cables.

I could also recommend the Technics 1200 GR, but it may be too expensive.

Mean & Green

I also found the included cable to be of good quality. I really can not complain.

Same with my new Technics 1200 GR. The fixed cable was indeed a nuisance on old Technics turntables in the past. Today, very few turntables have fixed cables.

I could also recommend the Technics 1200 GR, but it may be too expensive.
I agree the included cable does seem to be of good construction, I’ve no complaints.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked because my original issue of the Technics SL1200MKII (and few Thorens before it) were all w/crummy fixed cables.
I had almost convinced myself to fix that weakness but instead chose to pawn it off (at half-price but for a good cause).:(

AaronJ

I think my initial budget of $500 is strictly for the turntable, I'm willing to allocate more for the cartridge upgrade based on having a solid foundation.
I think there isn’t much difference between most turntables under $500. If that’s the case maybe consider $500 for turntable and a phono stage like Schiit Mani 2, then add on the cartridge upgrade later or separately.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked because my original issue of the Technics SL1200MKII (and few Thorens before it) were all w/crummy fixed cables.
I had almost convinced myself to fix that weakness but instead chose to pawn it off (at half-price but for a good cause).:(
What was the particular issue with the quality of the included cable? Mine are still doing fine after almost 40 years.

I don't have any particular need to detach them in any case.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think there isn’t much difference between most turntables under $500. If that’s the case maybe consider $500 for turntable and a phono stage like Schiit Mani 2, then add on the cartridge upgrade later or separately.
I currently have the Art Dj PreII as phono stage and it’s pretty similar to the Mani 2.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What was the particular issue with the quality of the included cable? Mine are still doing fine after almost 40 years.
Would you care to show us the actual photo of the RCA connectors?
It really is a fairly simple (max 40 minute) mod: The replacement output board is readily available.
Mod a new board and swap (<< as far as I can remember, 4 years ago before pawning it off)...
For extra points, provide a better grounding lug instead of that pos (~22awg) grounding wire that is part of the fixed cable.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you care to show us the actual photo of the RCA connectors?
It really is a fairly simple (max 40 minute) mod: The replacement output board is readily available.
Mod a new board and swap (<< as far as I can remember, 4 years ago before pawning it off)...
For extra points, provide a better grounding lug instead of that pos (~22awg) grounding wire that is part of the fixed cable.
What would a picture indicate? They're the stock ones. What benefits would the mod have? Did you also replace the wire from the arm?

Martin Takamine

Good morning,

I have an Audio Technica LP60 that I've had for the past five years and finally want to upgrade to a new forever turntable. My budget is $500 and I've been looking at Fluance RT85 and Pro-ject Debut series, but not sure which one of the two would be a better deal. Any other recommendations or insights are welcome.
Thank you.
I don't know about a "new forever turntable" for $500 but if that was my budget I would get the Audio-Technica AY-LP5X. It has a good cartridge mounted that has options for numerous replacement styli.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[1]What would a picture indicate?
[2]They're the stock ones.
[3]What benefits would the mod have?
[4]Did you also replace the wire from the arm?
[1]Will show how corroded just the RCA outer (gnd) connection is after 40 years (=weak to begin with)
[2]Exactly:facepalm:
[3]Better grounding? Better cabling? Lower Resistance? Better controlled capacitance? Custom Length cabling?
[4]n/c irrelevant

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[1]Will show how corroded just the RCA outer (gnd) connection is after 40 years (=weak to begin with)
[2]Exactly:facepalm:
[3]Better grounding? Better cabling? Lower Resistance? Better controlled capacitance? Custom Length cabling?
[4]n/c irrelevant
Not corroded. Weak in what way?
So you're saying Technics didn't know how to spec an appropriate cable?
Better in what particular way for my use?
So only rca cables make a difference on a tt? Really?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not corroded. Weak in what way?
So you're saying Technics didn't know how to spec an appropriate cable?
Better in what particular way for my use?
So only rca cables make a difference on a tt? Really?
Happy Hotdog Day!:confused:

robwpdx

I would suggest looking at a used Revox linear turntable. You will need a tech to install the cartridge. They are solidly built and there is a good repair parts supply chain. The other linear turntables of the era are hard to find parts for and set up the cartridge.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I would suggest looking at a used Revox linear turntable. You will need a tech to install the cartridge. They are solidly built and there is a good repair parts supply chain. The other linear turntables of the era are hard to find parts for and set up the cartridge.
It's supposed to be a 'forever turntable' after all. That means a device with a long lifespan from now. Such an old, relatively complicated Revox linear tracker is not suitable for this project. It has its best time behind it. BTW: I could get one as a gift, would just have to pick it up.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I wanted to briefly address the negative criticism of the Pro-Ject "the Classic" expressed in post #11, which I cannot understand based on my own experience. Apparently, EISA was also of the opinion that it is an outstanding device.

1689843952539.png

My personal example at home:

orange.jpg

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
IMG_9288.jpeg
Before you buy anything, check the speed with a phoneRPM app. place phone on a ring over the spindle. Anything below 0.1%variation is quite good(blue dots left scale). Technics do 0.05%. 0.2 or more is bad very bad.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
There are good or bad turntables in all price ranges. Unfortunately, you can't see which specific models we're talking about on the chart.

Besides the speed variation, which you can usually see in the manufacturer's specifications, I find the S/N value even more important in practice. But I agree that wow & flutter should be much less than 0.2%.
Absolute speed accuracy on the other hand is only important for people who have absolute hearing in terms of pitch. I don't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom