• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

True passive crossover for high-end stereo system with 1 or 2 subwoofers ?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Maybe I'm wrong but I see 11 4-channel opamps among other components,I know of another using 4-channel along with 2-channel opamps to make crossover.

Sokel

Master Contributor
That's not Icon Audio but interesting product...

dlaloum

Major Contributor
If you live in the US and if you and Amir feel like it, submit that Harrison Labs FMOD to him for measurements, tests.:)
Heheh, I don't, I live in Australia....

But the FMOD's are not overly expensive, and might be worth a test anyway....

Last edited:

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Doing passive crossovers for subwoofers is stupid.

If you are doing high-level filtering, coming off the amplifier, the inductor and capacitor costs skyrocket. If you try and use iron core inductors to save money, then you have hysteresis distortion. Even if you use air core inductors, then you are wasting amplifier power, because the inductors will add resistance to the circuit.

If you are doing low-level filtering with op-amps, well that isn't really "passive", and the distortion/jitter/noise isn't going to be any better than a digital solution. If you have a high-end system, $600 for a miniDSP Flex with balanced IO is pocket change. The ADC/DAC easily clears 16 bit resolution, and subwoofer integration is trivial with the DSP capability. With the op-amp setup you don't have a fraction of the flexibility.

dlaloum

Major Contributor

If you are doing high-level filtering, coming off the amplifier, the inductor and capacitor costs skyrocket. If you try and use iron core inductors to save money, then you have hysteresis distortion. Even if you use air core inductors, then you are wasting amplifier power, because the inductors will add resistance to the circuit.

If you are doing low-level filtering with op-amps, well that isn't really "passive", and the distortion/jitter/noise isn't going to be any better than a digital solution. If you have a high-end system, $600 for a miniDSP Flex with balanced IO is pocket change. The ADC/DAC easily clears 16 bit resolution, and subwoofer integration is trivial with the DSP capability. With the op-amp setup you don't have a fraction of the flexibility.

Passive crossovers before the amplifier - at the line level, pre-out - makes perfect sense....

However in this day and age of cheap digital, one expects the pre-pro to do that work, and many (most?) do... AVR's with Biamp crossover capabilities, and the allocation of 2 channels both to front mains, with a crossover between them - and the crossover processing is done in the digital domain as part of the Speaker/Room EQ....

Crossovers done post amplifiers, have a bucket load of issues/complications.... effectively an obsolete technology

DanielT

Major Contributor

Sounds reasonable, but the subwoofer that the OP is thinking about already has:

"Brand-new driver design, sophisticated DSP and full parametric EQ ensure a tailor-made fit for your set-up."

Plus 24 dB HP filter, see #15.

Then one must examine what Dynaudio means by: "sophisticated DSP and full parametric EQ". What are its features for Sub 6? Possibilities, limitations and so on.:)

yavormoskov

The title "True passive crossover for high-end stereo system with 1 or 2 subwoofers"? is wrong (or deceptive) - Gradient Box is true active analog crossover.
Article in 6Moons about Gradient Box is the worst text I have ever read in my life - hazy, chaotic and clear as mud.
Yes, the article is absurd at best.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thinking of adding 1 or 2 Dynaudio Sub 6 white (waf) to a pair of high-end bookshelf speakers (50hz, Raidho) in a larger room...
Sorry for being late, but I'd seriously check required SPL and room size.
Sub6 is a relatively small sealed sub with 2x9" roughly equal to good 12,5". This size, extended down to 16 Hz in small sealed box have not much headroom when pushed hard.
I'd look at JL Audio. They are among the best in terms of "bass per cubic feet" but not cheap.

Top Bottom