• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AUDIUM Comp 7.2 Passive - Teardown

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
This is a teardown of a pair of AUDIUM Comp 7.2 Passive, exquisite speakers, with a much better and authoritative bass that I was expecting given their size. These speakers belong to a good friend of mine and I was taking the below pics while I was changing the backplates with the binding posts and make them EXAKT compatible.

They look very much like the Comp 5 generation reviewed by 6moons back in 2009, at least their look and the woofer placement.

IMG_1568.jpg

AUDIUM Comp 7.2 Passive along with a couple of SVS-SB2000 and other Hi-Fi equipment

IMG_1564.jpg

Right speaker with it's front cover ON

IMG_1557.jpg

Left speaker with its front cover OFF

IMG_1560.jpg

Full range driver close-up (combined tweeter and midrange: > 200 Hz)

IMG_1682.jpg

Taking out the full range driver

IMG_1684.jpg

Full range driver close-up

IMG_1680.jpg

Full range marking

IMG_1542.jpg

Woofer close-up

IMG_1543.jpg

Woofer marking: T 609 GF (4 Ohms)

IMG_1544.jpg

Woofer close-up

IMG_1545.jpg

Behind the woofer (under the stand)

IMG_1553.jpg

Inside AUDIUM Comp 7.2 Passive

IMG_4752.jpg

Top side of the main crossover (there's another one inside, smaller, just one coil)

IMG_4754.jpg

Crossover close-up

IMG_4755.jpg

Crossover close-up

IMG_4753.jpg

Bottom of the main crossover

IMG_1554.jpg

Binding post

Speakers sound very well in the room from the first picture, for some songs there's not even need for the subwoofers. Unfortunately I can't find out my in-room REW measurements, but if I'll ever find them then I'll definitely post'em here in the thread.

The works I've done to these speakers was to remove the original binding posts (that were containing a few passive components, part of the entire crossover) and to disable the two drivers inside each speaker, then to install new binding posts dedicated for LINN EXAKT. This means that the drivers are directly exposed to the two amplifiers (one for each driver), without any analogue filters (crossovers) in between, so everything relies on the digital filters developed by the LINN manufacturer. Too bad that the custom digital filters were not quite perfect and the bass delivered to the full-range driver was simply too much, so I needed to revert everything back on how it was with the original crossover filters and binding. My friend purchased meanwhile a pair of Kudos Super 20a speakers that works perfectly with the LINN EXAKT technology and with the dedicated digital filter and now he's very happy.

Attachments

• Upgrade of AUDIUM Comp 7.2 to EXAKT.pdf
    305.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Top Bottom