• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Have 4 drivers with 0.97 Qts. What should I make with it?

krisskross

I made a horrid ported sound bar 4yrs ago when I was complete newb to the topic. And frankly, I'm still newb.

Now I know little better than 4yrs ago and also not satisfied with the sound it's making, I decided to tear the sound bar and and salvage drivers.

So Now I have 4 drivers of Peerless TC9FD18-08 which has quite extreme Qts: 0.89 (Link)

Now, I would like to make pair of bookshelf out of these 4 drivers. (music oriented. But would be nice to reach 50hz F3)

Any suggestion of what to do with high Qts driver like this?

Am I better off with closed enclosure? Or passive rad?

Would I need subwoofer with crossover?

I've heard that high Qts doesn't mix with ported box.

But I would like to avoid adding complexity such as crossover and want it to be bookshelf size.

Any idea of what to do would be great.

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
If you put them into a 12-13l enclosure with a capacitor in front of 300uF, you will get an f3 of 98hz.

1712665430776.png

Red is without capacitor.

ChrisG

3rd order sealed box, as mentioned above, is a pretty good approach.

The alternative would be to put it in a ported box tuned to around 70Hz (going lower probably won't happen) and EQ the result to flat. Since you have 4x drivers, I'd suggest running one of them wide-open, and using an inductor to roll the HF off the other one. That'll gain you +6dB of output in the LF, which is where you need it.

Without a floorstanding horn enclosure, you're unlikely to get 50Hz out of these. 70Hz can be pretty satisfying, though, especially if there's a bit of a peak before the LF rolloff.

Chris

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Get some speaker design software and you can predict/model/optimize performance. The software should recommend a box design and you can experiment (virtually) with various sealed & ported designs. I've used WinISD (FREE).

Would I need subwoofer with crossover?
Big things make bass! ;)

Top Bottom