• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

True passive crossover for high-end stereo system with 1 or 2 subwoofers ?

djgras

Hi. 6Moons Srajan is investigating this soon

Attachments

• APJ_1_PROOF.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • APJ_3r.pdf
    372 KB · Views: 69
  • 2wqReviewAudioPerfectionist.pdf
    446.8 KB · Views: 57

DanielT

Major Contributor
But what a messy text, or mass of text, this:

What is it that this Srajan Ebaen actually arrives at? What is the conclusion?What is that Gradient Box? It's said a bit miscellaneous but I can't get a grip on it. Too bad it is not summarized in technical specifications.

Edit:
Maybe it's just me who is a bit tired and has a sluggish brain. :)
Maybe it's obvious what it's about, or?

____
On page two of this link, the Gradient Box begins to be described:

Screenshot_2022-07-22_222707.jpg

Page 1 of the link:
Screenshot_2022-07-22_225206.jpg

Almost unreadable.:oops:

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
All passive speakers have passive crossovers but if this a line-level passive crossover that's just dumb!

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All passive speakers have passive crossovers but if this a line-level passive crossover that's just dumb!
This Gradient Box certainly is no passive crossover. Too many active devices.

DanielT

Major Contributor
This Gradient Box certainly is no passive crossover. Too many active devices.
You don't agree on what kind of gadget it is, the very base for the construction.
Suspect that when Mr. Srajan Ebaen writes about this Gradient Box it shows that:
What is dimly said is dimly thought. :)

OP
D

djgras

Thinking of adding 1 or 2 Dynaudio Sub 6 white (waf) to a pair of high-end bookshelf speakers (50hz, Raidho) in a larger room...

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thinking of adding 1 or 2 Dynaudio Sub 6 white (waf) to a pair of high-end bookshelf speakers (50hz, Raidho) in a larger room...
Good, we skip 6moon. Now we have something concrete to start from! :)

Would you like to use your HiFi system both for listening to music and for movies?

How big is your room?

Screenshot_2022-07-23_094439.jpg

Screenshot_2022-07-23_094459.jpg

Last edited:
OP
D

djgras

Why such generalisation about 6Moons, many readers of which I have been one for years. Anyway I would be looking for high pass, not just sub low pass. And which does not deteriorate the sound, eg through digital jitter or noise or analog distortion etc and which ideally does not look like a network switch in a rack...

DanielT

Major Contributor
Anyway I would be looking for high pass, not just sub low pass. And which does not deteriorate the sound, eg through digital jitter or noise or analog distortion etc and which ideally does not look like a network switch in a rack...
It will be interesting to see what tips you will get. I myself drive with an ugly (visually not nice looking, but I'll hide it away so I don't have to see it) active crossover sub-speaker, so it's not something you'd be interested in.

If you add a capacitor you get a 6 dB HP filter. But I suspect you want steeper slope? By the way no analog distortion with a capacitor with a uF value which gives a crossover point around 80 Hz.:)

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
I guess 24dB
Here from the manual for Dynaudio Sub 6:
(I can't put the link in, you have to google it)

HP Filters
Engages or disengages a 4th order, 80Hz Linkwitz-Riley high-pass filter on the Left/Right outputs. Engaging the high-pass filter ensures that low frequency signals below 80Hz are not passed to satellite speakers connected to the subwoofer outputs.

Why not use that?

From Wikipedia:

Fourth-order Linkwitz–Riley crossover (LR4, LR-4)

Fourth-order Linkwitz–Riley crossovers (LR4) are probably today's most commonly used type of audio crossover. They are constructed by cascading two 2nd-order Butterworth filters. Their slope is 24 dB/octave (80 dB/decade). The phase difference amounts to 360°, i.e. the two drives appear in phase, albeit with a full period time delay for the low-pass section.

Attachments

• 20220723_110621890.jpeg
    20220723_110621890.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_2022-07-23_094459.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-23_094459.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi. 6Moons Srajan is investigating this soon
The title "True passive crossover for high-end stereo system with 1 or 2 subwoofers"? is wrong (or deceptive) - Gradient Box is true active analog crossover.
Article in 6Moons about Gradient Box is the worst text I have ever read in my life - hazy, chaotic and clear as mud.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I have in the past used the Harrison Labs FMOD, in line passive low pass / high pass filters to crossover before a pair of power amps, allowing proper crossed over biamping... - Simple and works very well... also truly passive:

DanielT

Major Contributor
I have in the past used the Harrison Labs FMOD, in line passive low pass / high pass filters to crossover before a pair of power amps, allowing proper crossed over biamping... - Simple and works very well... also truly passive:

If you live in the US and if you and Amir feel like it, submit that Harrison Labs FMOD to him for measurements, tests.:)

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
The guy who wrote that is probably faking and does not want to tell that this is an active electronic crossover.
Because that is what this device is.

Although he gives hints writing about some other hiend electronic crossover.
Taboo matter for 6moons even though there are some electronic crossover that could easily fit in their philosophy.

Can't find info about it,does anyone?

Top Bottom