• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Transparent DSD DAC/chip

babysnake

Hi

I use HQPlayer to convert all my audio to DSD128 (limited by PC grunt rather than SQ), so no PCM

I'm looking for a DAC or dac chip implementation that will do the absolute electrical minimum required to convert that incoming DSD signal to analogue

Signalyst's own DSC-1/2 does this but I am looking for a more 'mainstream' solution (ie: a box not a board)

Do ESS or AKM chips work like this?

Any suggestions gratefully received

gvl

Major Contributor
AKM chips have DSD direct mode, some DACs allow to enable it, e.g. the RME ADI-2 DAC (the earlier version that used AKM) at the cost of volume control.

OP
B

babysnake

I have a Topping E30 Mk1 with the AKM chip, but I'm unsure if Direct DSD is enabled by default

Certainly can't find a menu option for it

gvl

Major Contributor
I don’t think the E30 allows it.

OP
B

babysnake

Ok cheers. Other than the RME is anyone aware of any other dacs where I can use this functionality?

Zek

Major Contributor
Ok cheers. Other than the RME is anyone aware of any other dacs where I can use this functionality?
Maybe old version of Loxjie D30 (with AKM chip)...
Screenshot 2022-10-08 at 17.46.19.png

gvl

Major Contributor
Ok, I stand corrected.

Saidera

I've always wanted to use the Direct DSD pathway of chips, including those from Cirrus Logic. But very few implementations allow it.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Smsl D300 has a direct DSD mode and u get to bypass the SDM also.

Saidera

Last edited:

Nutul

U can't adjust volume with DSD at all.

Not to break any belief, but rather than "you can't" I think "you shouldn't", first. Than, the fact that some DAC implementations forbid it, looks more like a proof.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Seems that D300 can't be used to adjust volume when playing DSD? D-6 is a better option also with DSD Direct mode explicitly stated on advertising material. I don't see any customer reviews discussing its DSD playback though. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-d-6-dac-review.36235/page-12

I have it , very good in DSDD mode

Just make sure you have something after the DAC to control volume

Use Monoprice TRS to XLR balanced cables

So cheap for an excellent balanced out DSDD DAC

b7676

Cs43198/cs43131 has direct DSD mode. It is a little bit better than processing DSD in harmonic distortion but halved in level so worse in SNR and overall THD+N.
Cs43198/cs43131 are multibit delta sigma dacs with very good performance. If there's a way to reduce noise at full level it will be even better.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Not to break any belief, but rather than "you can't" I think "you shouldn't", first. Than, the fact that some DAC implementations forbid it, looks more like a proof.

My understanding is that is inherent to the DSD format. One of its many limitations is that it has to be converted for there to be any kind of alteration, including volume. Are you saying that's not the case?

Nutul

My understanding is that is inherent to the DSD format. One of its many limitations is that it has to be converted for there to be any kind of alteration, including volume. Are you saying that's not the case?
Absolutely not; on the contrary: since it's transitional (every new bit determines the new level based on the previous) it's almost impossible to modify it on-the-fly, that's why it's sometimes advisable to convert it to Hi-freq PCM if some changes, such as volume adjustment, are to be applied.

Top Bottom