• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Townsend Isolda cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Wow that's something, thanks for the link, not sure how it's related to my subjectivist origin story but it's a bloody good example of the mind been fooled by sight.....

Sight is easily fooled too...

The squares marked A and B are exactly the same shade of gray.

1606692366659.png

audio2design

Major Contributor
On Audiogon Max shamelessly spams his Dec. 5 conference call while "pretending" no real errors have been pointed out in his work. Shilling 101. Almost all of the replies have been pointing out errors in his work.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Imagine what it must be like to have to sell speaker cables for a living. What a life.

Geert

Major Contributor
And you just know no one who disagrees will be allowed in that conference.
I think they will. But their remarks or questions will probably not get addressed, because that could have been done already via the forums.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Max Townshend

Audio Company

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'ts not always about having the education , but internalize it and truly understand what it means.

Like when you see nurses and doctors smoking outside the hospital ... :rolleyes:

There are many people who passed grades in all kinds of scientifically inclined subjects that still reads a horoscope or swims with dolphins or go to healers ..

You cant claim that you understood your highshool physics and then read a horoscope .

Been there myself as an EE and audiophile :oops: oops

Max Townshend

Audio Company
I'ts not always about having the education , but internalize it and truly understand what it means.

Like when you see nurses and doctors smoking outside the hospital ... :rolleyes:

There are many people who passed grades in all kinds of scientifically inclined subjects that still reads a horoscope or swims with dolphins or go to healers ..

You cant claim that you understood your highshool physics and then read a horoscope .

I am not superstitious, I am not religious, I believe in natural selection and that the world is round.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Early in my narrow field of work, my boss ran the facility where I worked horribly. He wasn't dumb. He wasn't uneducated, but all of his decisions were those of an uneducated dumba** yokel as were his results. As I became reasonably knowledgeable and gained experience I tried to work with him. Tried to get better results. He'd listen, stop me, finish exactly what I was thinking indicating he knew all the things he was supposed to know. Then he'd laugh and say, "you don't really believe all that shit do you?" laugh again, and ignore what made sense. I never fully understood how someone gets to that kind of position. Nor how he managed to work in it for 25 years before finally doing a series of things so stupid and detrimental they got rid of him. Finally.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Max no one here has any belief in your "knack" given your inability to see through your dogmatic attachment to an obviously wrong hypothesis coupled with a high school level of scientific work on this topic while making cables pretty much the same as Goertz did 30 years ago and for the same reason. You have brought nothing new to the table scientifically or as a product.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I am not superstitious, I am not religious, I believe in natural selection and that the world is round.

I thought it was kind of 'spherical' and not round (a disc is also called round), a bit flattened around the poles. ;)

What is clear is that indeed mr Townshend's cable has less loss of treble in the cable (no loss at all) at some potential cost.
Not that this has any audible consequences, but it is indeed measurable.

The price of the cable is a 'bit' on the high side but when you don't sell many and still want to keep the chimney smoking you would have to make more profit and jack up the price.

It's the theories and the way the cable is marketted (with all the 'explanations') that rubs folks here against the grain.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And in the financial rewards of selling cryogenically treated "fractal" cables, super tweeters with a range up to 90kHz featuring Marilyn Monroe, and a preamplifier that doesn't amplify (http://www.townshendaudio.com/allegri/).

Max Townshend

Audio Company
BTW I went from Hale School to The University of Western Australia where I completed a five-year Communications Engineering degree course, 1961 - 1965.
The first impedance matched cables came from Japan and were invented by Shin Endo, UK patent attached and were marketed by Monitor Audio in the UK and by Polk in the USA. We used the cables exclusively as they sounded better than all other cables and they worked perfectly with competently designed amplifiers.

Unfortunately, they blew up the conditionally stable Naim amplifiers and a few others. However, Naim were so powerful, they forced the Monitor audio cable off the market.

Now that there was no off-the-shelf impedance-matched cable, we made our own by paralleling up six 50ohm coaxial cables to get 8.2ohms in about 1983. It worked as well as the Shin. Joining the 900 odd strands of copper when paralleling RG213/U required lots of soldering, hence I solder and I solder, became Isolda. Unfortunately, in the US it would be Isoda, which is another cable.

In 1992, or so, Goertz introduced their two flat strips, which they patented. Now that the patent has run out, we are using it as it is far less labour intensive the coax solution and it sounds better as it uses very little PTFE as the insulator. There is an unmistakable purity about the sound when impedance matched speaker cables are employed.

Attachments

• Shin Endo Patent.pdf
    578.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Monitor Audio brochure 1979 bac.pdf
    237.2 KB · Views: 171
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom