• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Townsend Isolda cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Since you have declined to specify the reference for the unmarked axis and there’s a key (deliberate?) error in the test setup, there’s nothing to explain.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The honest test we do is to supply our cables, on a sale-or-return basis worldwide, for the end-user to make up their own mind. Our returns department is very dusty.

At the Hifi shop I worked they also had a policy that when you bought ANY cable, even when cut to size, and the customer was not satisfied they could return it for a full refund within 1 month. Needless to say NO customer EVER returned a single cable (speaker nor interconnect !)

win

It's a bit like saying "have an orgasm now".

not to get too graphic but sometimes sexy talk does involve variations (with more vulgar language) of that command!

win

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Seraph

Forum Donor
Alpha brain waves are needed to really hear these small differences in audio. For the experienced listener, given the right conditions, this is not too difficult, but when under control doing A/B/blind testing, the stressed brain is in Beta waves and all-important small differences are very difficult, if not impossible to hear. I certainly wouldn't want to participate in one of your tests. It's a bit like saying "have an orgasm now".

What the actual fuck is this nonsense? Get a grip on yourself or professional help.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The figure you've already found to be meaningless in your earlier post.
Worse yet, a fundamental flaw in the rather sketchily described experiment: a big ol’ pickup loop.

But hey, just keep saying it over and over, ignore the pointed out flaws and dishonesty, and it will magically be true.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The honest test we do is to supply our cables, on a sale-or-return basis worldwide, for the end-user to make up their own mind. Our returns department is very dusty.

Weren't you going to send Amir some cables for testing? What happened to that?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Alpha brain waves are needed to really hear these small differences in audio. For the experienced listener, given the right conditions, this is not too difficult, but when under control doing A/B/blind testing, the stressed brain is in Beta waves and all-important small differences are very difficult, if not impossible to hear. I certainly wouldn't want to participate in one of your tests. It's a bit like saying "have an orgasm now".

Good lord, do you really believe this? That’s astounding.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor

So you really cant gear the difference, make all the excusses you want no one believes you.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
What I posted here:https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/363106-analysis-speaker-cables-8.html

BS audio strikes again. There graph of freq response for different cables has no units, db what? Is this nano volts? Useless. There listening tests are the difference signal, ( the voltage across one wire so itss been amplified 100db? ) thats why there so dramatic, again no reference to the signal. The square wave test shows no time scale. All convenient omissions to hide the BS.

And the error signal there recording is the current thru the speaker which should follow the inverse of the speaker impedance, but it dosnt. Why? Have they fudged the results?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

That's an intriguing claim, but it does set off some alarm bells. It sounds like a pseudo-science version of "You have to be in the right mindset for it to happen." When asked for a reliable demonstration of a claim, especially under conditions controlling for imagination or trickery, this is the calling card claim of countless fringe/fraudulent/un-demonstrated claims in the world (e.g. everything from psychics, spiritualism, mind reading, new age healing therapies, dowsing, faith healing, and everything else that might fill up the local New Age/Psychic fair).

In other words, the Uri Geller excuse:

The presence of a skeptical mind-set seems to be a super power against these types of claims :)

And I do wonder how this idea of Alpha brain waves being needed to hear small differences in audio plays out in practice. For instance, I work in film sound editing and I'm paying very close attention in manipulating sound all day long. Often enough it can be very, very subtle differences I'm manipulating, whether it's dialing in a precise balance among 24 background tracks, or minutely manipulating barely audible "room" and "air" tones to match those of production tracks. And I do this "on demand" all day long, under varying conditions, and often under quite a bit of duress (schedules are routinely tight). So do I have some miraculous control of my alpha brain waves, I wonder?

And in blind tests I have been able to detect subtle sonic differences (e.g. between DACs), while failing to find differences on other occaisions (e.g. between AC cables).

How would this Alpha Brain wave hypothesis come in to play? Apparently the brain waves CAN be in the correct mode for detecting small sonic differences in blind testing. I've done it; plenty have done it (including Amir).

So do you then apply the hypothesis to the failed tests, e.g. "if you heard a subtle difference in blind testing your brain was using alpha waves, but if you didn't hear any difference, your brain may have been in beta wave mode, blocking your ability to hear the difference?"

If so, this seems in most practical instances yet another unfalsifiable claim. How do you distinguish a "failed" test that implies "no sonic difference" from one that implies "wrong brain wave pattern?"

This all seems to be a way of essentially ruling out any possibility of controlling for well-known bias effects. And it's extremely typical to find these type of moves against controlling for imagination made in all the pseudo-scientific/supernatural claims. In fact, it's pretty much a signature of those belief systems.

(BTW, I write all that as someone who actually uses some of your spring-based isolation pods, to measurable effect, under my turntable
platform! But as I understand it, the concept that springs can be used to isolate from low resonances isn't technically controversial at all, unlike the above claim about brain waves).

Cheers.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Heres some sims. Used Hans's cable model and a generic speaker model that was handy. The first one is there test, the voltage at the speaker negative. It does not look like there graph and the level is -60db. How did they fudge that? The second is what they should have measured, the error voltage, the voltage difference between the amp and the speaker terminal. As expected the freq variation is less than .05db but the audio they submit has 10db variation. Hard to call it a fudge when its a straight up lie. I feel like posting this in BS audio comments but Im sure thell erase it instanly.
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• speaker cable with load.jpg
    speaker cable with load.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 86
  • there measurement V at speaker grnd.jpg
    there measurement V at speaker grnd.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 82
  • voltage across speaker.jpg
    voltage across speaker.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 78

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Nobody has explained the graphs in fig 3.
1606159393720.png

To be clear, neither have you. You have not made stated what you are measuring and what the dB scale refers to. What accounts for the level differences and HF increase? What kind of connection does the "short" refer to?

Can you post pictures or a video of your setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom