• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA7 Plus Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 38 10.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 149 39.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 173 46.1%

• Total voters

Music1969

Major Contributor
Any quality control / controversies with this amp ?

Or better reputation than PA5?

Toku

Major Contributor
I looked into the specific differences between PA7 and PA7Plus, but I couldn't find any differences in the parts used.
The only obvious difference is the output power figure. Is the power adapter the only difference between the two models?
Does anyone know about the specific differences between the two models?

UAN

I looked into the specific differences between PA7 and PA7Plus, but I couldn't find any differences in the parts used.
The only obvious difference is the output power figure. Is the power adapter the only difference between the two models?
Does anyone know about the specific differences between the two models?
Yes... Obviously, this is pure marketing. The same thing with PA5 II plus, the price is 80 dollars more PA5 II.

Last edited:

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Happy to report that after a week of use I am enjoying the PA7 and E70 combo. My only nitpick would have been a scratchy pot on the PA7 but that seems to have mostly resolved itself with use. Turntable/phono noise has been greatly reduced and digital inputs including a wiim, RPI4, and cd player are all playing nice and sound good. I noticed a little bass impact reduction but nothing that can't be fixed by turning up the sub volume (high level connection). View attachment 287598
Nice stack. I really like how everything looks.

Namesbuck

Nice stack. I really like how everything looks.
Thanks. I added a cd player and vu meter recently as well that tracks both digital sources. I also built another diy stand. I'm happy with the setup.

Attachments

• 20230908_002149.jpg
    20230908_002149.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 232

garyjac

GDay,

I may have missed it, but does the manufacturer quote an output inductance value for this amp? Very important to know if trying to assess interactions with electrostatic speakers.

Regards
Gary Jacobson
www.qusdesl.org

Guddu

My early release PA7 is functioning fine. It triggers on from an E70 and I keep it at 12 o'clock on the volume dial and if the e70 is at 0 db then with my speakers I can hit 86 db peaks. Which is plenty loud in my room.

Does it get hot? Yes, if played for more than a short period. It's designed that way. It uses the case as a heat sink which has been mentioned on this thread. If it's not playing music it's room temp.
Hi Namesbuck,
Have you ever observed how much power it takes when idle, powered ON but no music?
Is it possible for you to check with a smart plug or something, it would be great help if you could.

Thanks

Namesbuck

Hi Namesbuck,
Have you ever observed how much power it takes when idle, powered ON but no music?
Is it possible for you to check with a smart plug or something, it would be great help if you could.

Thanks
I have it hooked up to a power strip without a smart plug. I don't need a smart plug since it triggers on from its inputs. I doubt it consumes much power in idle state but probably more than a simple DAC. Even the PA7 indicator light is off when in idle. I'd be mildy curious to find out.

Guddu

I have it hooked up to a power strip without a smart plug. I don't need a smart plug since it triggers on from its inputs. I doubt it consumes much power in idle state but probably more than a simple DAC. Even the PA7 indicator light is off when in idle. I'd be mildy curious to find out.
No worries, I have just ordered one. Will find it out soon.
Thanks

GiBo61

Thanks. I added a cd player and vu meter recently as well that tracks both digital sources. I also built another diy stand. I'm happy with the setup.
Nice VU meters! Where did you get them from?

Bleib

Major Contributor

Guddu

Thanks, makes me feel good as I am waiting to get mine delivered (non-plus version though).
Timestamp 7:15, what does it even mean that its comparable to 2-3K amplifiers?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Thanks, makes me feel good as I am waiting to get mine delivered (non-plus version though).
Timestamp 7:15, what does it even mean that its comparable to 2-3K amplifiers?
Same performance as something which costs a lot more?

ErkyPerky

I have a 7 year old Cambridge Audio CXA80 using with monitor audio silver 100. I'm thinking of getting a PA7 to replace the Cambridge, but is it really worth it?

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
I have a 7 year old Cambridge Audio CXA80 using with monitor audio silver 100. I'm thinking of getting a PA7 to replace the Cambridge, but is it really worth it?
The PA7 has slightly more power. You might notice that, but not very likely unless you play loud or have inefficient speakers, and the power difference is really tiny so not much anyway. It also likely has better noise and distortion, not very likely you will hear that since the Cambridge is a fine amp. The PA7 has no features, just a volume control, if that is OK fine but for many that would be inconvenient. The Cambridge is paid for, you would have to spend money to get the PA7. Topping has a poor reliability and after sales support, perhaps since you already have an amp this is less of a big deal since you have a backup.

Seems like a waste of money to get a PA7 since you already have a nice fully-featured amp from a reputable manufacturer with almost the same power. 99.9% of the time you will never be able to tell a difference, maybe even 100%.

ASR supposed to show people how to get good performance, but lots of times ends up making people want stuff that will make no difference, this may be an example of that...

ErkyPerky

The PA7 has slightly more power. You might notice that, but not very likely unless you play loud or have inefficient speakers, and the power difference is really tiny so not much anyway. It also likely has better noise and distortion, not very likely you will hear that since the Cambridge is a fine amp. The PA7 has no features, just a volume control, if that is OK fine but for many that would be inconvenient. The Cambridge is paid for, you would have to spend money to get the PA7. Topping has a poor reliability and after sales support, perhaps since you already have an amp this is less of a big deal since you have a backup.

Seems like a waste of money to get a PA7 since you already have a nice fully-featured amp from a reputable manufacturer with almost the same power. 99.9% of the time you will never be able to tell a difference, maybe even 100%.

ASR supposed to show people how to get good performance, but lots of times ends up making people want stuff that will make no difference, this may be an example of that...
Thanks for getting back!! I'm happy with sounds that comes out of the amp. It drives the monitors really well and can get very loud. Few downside with this amp, it heats up, but I think that's normal with class a/b amps. Also the toroidal transformer has a hum/buzz when there is silence(a few others have said this about the cxa series) so maybe that's why I wanted to try the PA7 but it's true what you have said about wasting money when I have a functioning beast of an amp lol. I'll get more use out of it a couple of more years

Top Bottom