• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA7 Plus Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 9.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 149 39.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 172 46.1%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Once the peak sound volume at the listening point has been determined, only the sensitivity of the loudspeakers and the distance to the listening point are needed to calculate the maximum power required from the amplifier.
The speaker placement within the room is also important.

Simply moving your speakers into the corners of your room can quarter the output power required for identical SPL.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
The speaker placement within the room is also important.

Simply moving your speakers into the corners of your room can quarter the output power required for identical SPL.
Of course, the room influence is very difficult to calculate, but let's assume that the position of the speakers is fixed, for aesthetic or practical reasons

Of course, the room influence is very difficult to calculate, but let's assume that the position of the speakers is fixed, for aesthetic or practical reasons
For practical reasons in my not particularly large room, I forgo the SPM and triamp my speakers with 3x2x300w.

The practical reason being that I do not have a SPM.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
The objective is to know the maximum sound pressure (peak) at the listening point in order to calculate the required amplifier power. With a hand-held sound level meter, set in C-weighting mode, and if it has the Z-mode, the better, but it is not common in simple sound level meters. In this way we are measuring the sound pressure given by the amplifier plus the loudspeakers, not the one received by the human ear (A-weighting). As we are looking for the peak power, the sound level meter is configured in MAX or PEAK mode, as it is called in the sound level meter model used. As a source, I would use at least two tracks that I usually listen to, one very compressed and the other with the highest possible dynamic range, both played at the usual listening level.

View attachment 349374

Thank you.

As most of us have access to most of the world’s music through streaming apps, could you give us a couple of examples of those two categories of music which are commonly available on most streaming apps?

I’m guessing …And Justice For All by Metallica is a famously compressed example. Or Oasis Definitely Maybe.

Uncompressed and natural?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Thank you.

As most of us have access to most of the world’s music through streaming apps, could you give us a couple of examples of those two categories of music which are commonly available on most streaming apps?

I’m guessing …And Justice For All by Metallica is a famously compressed example. Or Oasis Definitely Maybe.

Uncompressed and natural?
Of course. For instance:

IMG_5203.jpeg

cran

Thanks for the review.

For a little more (~430 usd) I would definitely get an NC252MP based amp like the Nord below (link measurements from KJF). Better high frequency behavior, more power, internal power supply.

cran

I am connecting my teac UD-505+CG-10M clock (which i like it very much for headphone) to my Denon X3800H (running pure direct mode) to my KEF R3 for listening music.
I am wondering if I can add Topping PA7 to the chain (RCA for X3800H pre-amp, XLR for UD-505) to improve the music listening experience. Somehow I am wondering the X3800H, although running pure direct mode, is altering the tone and sound quality. I want to have to more dynamic and clarity to the result.

I have no experience of using stereo power amp so very hesitate to spend more on this just for trial and error.

Any advice is welcome.

Last edited:

Abstracted

How's the PA7 reliability?

Abstracted

How's the PA7 reliability?

After searching the thread, it seems as though only 2 have had problems. Which leads me to believe that the PA7 is reliable. Anyone think differently?

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After searching the thread, it seems as though only 2 have had problems. Which leads me to believe that the PA7 is reliable. Anyone think differently?
I have it continuously running from Oct2023, no issues.

Abstracted

Guddu

Any overheating?
Not overheating, but it’s gets warm enough on moderate volume.
Even though it’s working fine, however the relay switching noise has increased over the time such as you notice very easily.
Also occasional pop noise while powering off.

Vladetz

Using pa7 since may 2023, no problems
Gets warm, but not overheating
Relay click is staying on the same level as it was
So everything is okay

ScofieldKid

I am connecting my teac UD-505+CG-10M clock (which i like it very much for headphone) to my Denon X3800H (running pure direct mode) to my KEF R3 for listening music.
I am wondering if I can add Topping PA7 to the chain (RCA for X3800H pre-amp, XLR for UD-505) to improve the music listening experience. Somehow I am wondering the X3800H, although running pure direct mode, is altering the tone and sound quality. I want to have to more dynamic and clarity to the result.

I have no experience of using stereo power amp so very hesitate to spend more on this just for trial and error.

Any advice is welcome.

For a purist music listening setup, I would probably avoid having an AVR in the chain. And for the KEF R3, you might want to go a slight step higher in the amp world as well. You have some cleaner amp examples in the 1ET400A for example. For a desktop 2-way speaker setup or small room 2-way setup, seems like the target for the PA7 kind of amp. Just my personal preference. I would want to use a really nice amp with those speakers.

That being said, I think the PA7 is a nice amp in a desktop setup.

mike70

Kef R3 deserves decent current at 4 ohms.
I'd go with hypex / purifi amps.

That speakers emits sound with a "so and so" amplifier, but they really shines with more clear power.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
For a purist music listening setup, I would probably avoid having an AVR in the chain. And for the KEF R3, you might want to go a slight step higher in the amp world as well. You have some cleaner amp examples in the 1ET400A for example. For a desktop 2-way speaker setup or small room 2-way setup, seems like the target for the PA7 kind of amp. Just my personal preference. I would want to use a really nice amp with those speakers.

That being said, I think the PA7 is a nice amp in a desktop setup.
I am no rocket scientist but I am pushing my 12 in woofer B&W 801 matrix with this amp and it is wonderful. I think they are 87 sensitivity, same as the R3.. monsters compared to the R3 and no need for a bigger amp. I even pushed them with the PA5 with no issues so save some money you will be fine.
image.jpg

Vladetz

I am no rocket scientist but I am pushing my 12 in woofer B&W 801 matrix with this amp and it is wonderful. I think they are 87 sensitivity, same as the R3.. monsters compared to the R3 and no need for a bigger amp. I even pushed them with the PA5 with no issues so save some money you will be fine.View attachment 359725
I am running my 86db mission 700 with pa7 and power consumption from smart outlet never rises higher than 12 watts

mike70

We don't talk about SPL ... we talk about better SQ.

Top Bottom