• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA7 Plus Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 9.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 149 39.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 172 46.1%

• Total voters

Repdetect

Forum Donor
The PA7 and PA7+ are the same amp.
Only the power supply is different.
Do you have any substantiation for this? Nothing personal, I just like proof.

TK750

Do you have any substantiation for this? Nothing personal, I just like proof.
Is it being written on the pcb enough? I'm not trying to be snarky btw just genuinely unsure as what would be deemed sufficient lol?

welwynnick

Forum Donor
If the internal crossovers are designed properly, passive bi-amping makes no difference.
From one amp, high notes are passed to the tweeters, and low notes are absorbed.
From the other amp, low notes are passed to the woofers, and high notes are absorbed.
The two amps do not know half their signals are being absorbed, so work on the full frequency range. The same power is used, and half of it is turned into heat in the crossovers. The amps still work on the same full frequency range, so do not have more headroom, and do not have reduced crosstalk.
That's not quite true.
Crossovers use mainly reactive components, inductors and capacitors, and these generate reactive rather than resistive impedance for the appropriate frequency band.
Therefore the "unwanted" power in each leg isn't absorbed, because the raised impedance means the current isn't drawn, giving the amplifier an easier time.

As an aside, it's true that crossovers often contain a padding resistor to set the right acoustic level for the tweeter, but that's not usually very significant, and is the same for both situations.

Nick

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi Toku, I hope this find you well. In the above picture that you posted it looks like the PA7 (not the PA7+) has 2-3255 chips. I've searched all over but didn't find a definitive answer. Can you confirm or rebut this, thanks?
Secondo la mia conversazione con Topping, i circuiti interni e i componenti del PA7 e del PA7 Plus sono esattamente gli stessi. Entrambi utilizzano due TPA3255.
La differenza più grande è il nome del modello dell'alimentatore e del pannello. Bene, penso che questa sia una differenziazione basata sulla strategia di vendita.
Allo stesso modo, il PA5 ll e il PA5 ll Plus sono esattamente gli stessi internamente.

MAB

Major Contributor
That's not quite true.
Crossovers use mainly reactive components, inductors and capacitors, and these generate reactive rather than resistive impedance for the appropriate frequency band.
Therefore the "unwanted" power in each leg isn't absorbed, because the raised impedance means the current isn't drawn, giving the amplifier an easier time.

As an aside, it's true that crossovers often contain a padding resistor to set the right acoustic level for the tweeter, but that's not usually very significant, and is the same for both situations.

Nick
If amps had a hard time driving reactive loads, yes. This has been brought up before.:rolleyes: The solution isn't to get a second crummy amp that struggles with reactive loads, it's to get an amp that is stable. And, I have actually shown that this effect is not reasonably eclectically measurable, and certainly not audible. Maybe I didn't use an amp that was crappy enough in my test, but if I did people would have said I didn't use gear that was sufficiently resolving.

Repdetect

Forum Donor
Secondo la mia conversazione con Topping, i circuiti interni e i componenti del PA7 e del PA7 Plus sono esattamente gli stessi. Entrambi utilizzano due TPA3255.
La differenza più grande è il nome del modello dell'alimentatore e del pannello. Bene, penso che questa sia una differenziazione basata sulla strategia di vendita.
Allo stesso modo, il PA5 ll e il PA5 ll Plus sono esattamente gli stessi internamente.
Thank you very much.

Repdetect

Forum Donor
Is it being written on the pcb enough? I'm not trying to be snarky btw just genuinely unsure as what would be deemed sufficient lol?
Not really. PCB has Pa 7 and Pa7+ on the images I've seen and the chips are blacked out.

Repdetect

Forum Donor
Not really. PCB has Pa 7 and Pa7+ on the images I've seen and the chips are blacked out.
Sufficient would be telling me and your a former engineer at a Japanese audio company.

TK750

Yes is that not what we were discussing, they are the same hence share one pcb? The chips was a different question (though handily also answered as obviously they will also have the same chips seeing as they are the same pcb!)

Repdetect

Forum Donor
I cannot find a Hypex solution delivered to US for only "a few dollars more" than a Topping solution delivered to US.

Topping US distributor APOS Audio has the PA7 at $449, already in US, with 2 year warranty.

Cheapest Hypex NC502MP I can see is the Buckeye at $695 with 1 year warranty. Much larger, too.

A different question is why do people buy either the Topping or the Hypex when the Fosi V3 exists? It was $87 with 48v PSU in December.
Just checked Apos website

joco

Hello members. I planning maybe in the future I change the topping pa7 amp power supply cable to a more better quality power supply cable. I heard a lots of about good change to increase the sound quality with a better cable. Anyone have experience about this? Thanks.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 49

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello members. I planning maybe in the future I change the topping pa7 amp power supply cable to a more better quality power supply cable. I heard a lots of about good change to increase the sound quality with a better cable. Anyone have experience about this? Thanks.
Il cavo CA dell'alimentatore originale è di qualità sufficientemente elevata da non credo sia necessario sostituirlo.
Questo tipo di cavo di alimentazione è disponibile anche su Amazon, ma tutti i prodotti sono simili e non differiscono molto.

Zek

Major Contributor
Il cavo CA dell'alimentatore originale è di qualità sufficientemente elevata da non credo sia necessario sostituirlo.
Questo tipo di cavo di alimentazione è disponibile anche su Amazon, ma tutti i prodotti sono simili e non differiscono molto.
The AC cord from the original power supply is of high enough quality that I don't think it needs to be replaced.
This type of power cord is also available on Amazon, but all the products are similar and do not differ much.

Toku

Major Contributor
The AC cord from the original power supply is of high enough quality that I don't think it needs to be replaced.
This type of power cord is also available on Amazon, but all the products are similar and do not differ much.
Thank you for your translation. I was writing an email to a friend in Italy and accidentally translated the ASR post into Italian.
I did something very embarrassing.

Reactions: Zek

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
there's no scientific evidence about real "better" cables for audio applications.
cables are important, you need good terminals, good soldering, good copper with decent shielding, etc ... but it doesn't mean many hundred dollars price tag, at all.

Repdetect

Forum Donor
there's no scientific evidence about real "better" cables for audio applications.
cables are important, you need good terminals, good soldering, good copper with decent shielding, etc ... but it doesn't mean many hundred dollars price tag, at all.
Agree.
The one thing that will give you better sound regardless of your system's cost that I rarely see mentioned in ASR or blogs, or forums is better mastering and engineering of cd's, vinyl or whatever format you listen to. Unfortunately you listen after the fact (mastered & engineered). But when you get a well mastered & engineered piece of music, you'll certainly know it, unless you're deaf.:oops:. And I understand that listening for music lovers is primarily about the artist or their music, although it seems many people are listening to their gear. Sad.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Agree.
The one thing that will give you better sound regardless of your system's cost that I rarely see mentioned in ASR or blogs, or forums is better mastering and engineering of cd's, vinyl or whatever format you listen to. Unfortunately you listen after the fact (mastered & engineered). But when you get a well mastered & engineered piece of music, you'll certainly know it, unless you're deaf.:oops:. And I understand that listening for music lovers is primarily about the artist or their music, although it seems many people are listening to their gear. Sad.
We fully agree. I suspect that the reason its importance is hardly talked about is because we audiophiles can't do anything about it except not listen to poorly produced music, while we can tinker ad nauseam with our equipment.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
oh yes ... recordings and room treatment (passive / active with DSP) ... that's where your money must go.

joco

I understand what you writing here and I agree lots of things what are important. I have one question. What about the AC power filter and conditioners? Are they worth it use? For example Taga harmony PF(400-500-600-1000) series? If have filtered and non filtered sockets. Where socket better to plug in the amp and DAC? Forexample if you plug in the filtered socket not cut off some frequencies?

Top Bottom