• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

HoJ76

I got mine today, cost me nothing to get a new one, big credit to Topping
Everything sounds perfect.
Do the gain knob (I guss thats not the correct word (but the one I can change between -9, 0, +9)) do any changes in the sound, I think the volume are to low with -9db.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got mine today, cost me nothing to get a new one, big credit to Topping
Everything sounds perfect.
Does the gain knob (I guess that's not the correct word, but the one I can change between -9, 0, +9) do any changes in the sound, I think the volume are to low with -9db.

The 3 position gain switch does not change the sound quality, it only changes the volume. Amir's measurements show it will perform great in all 3 positions, so do not worry. The -9dB position is for very high sensitivity IEM earbuds....so that you can accurately adjust their volume. For your headphones it seems like the middle and top position of the switch will be best to provide you with the easiest control.

Wortifer

Forum Donor
I would like to share my positive experience so far with Apos regarding the L30 exchange program. I asked whether they will be supportive, and they assured me they will. Apos later sent me the email quoted in part below and another with the order number for my replacement L30.

While I do not yet have a replacement in hand, the communication from Apos has been encouraging. I expect to remain a customer of both Topping and Apos.

""

I also would like to share my positive exchange program experience with Apos. Mine was serial number 2007, let them know, replacement in the mail next day. Great service from a great company, I have used them several times before they're always excellent.

nxnje

Everyone happy BUT, how can you know if your 2012xxxxxx is on of the many in the 90% or one of the few in that 10%?

Yoyop

It has been sent the 01/27, so there are many chances that it's fully fixed. Maybe not the first 2012 sended in December or early January.
By the way, in my location we don't have ESD issues, at least if it burns, my HD600 will still live, and this will be a good reason to upgrade ;)
A30 pro is coming ... ;)

You know, every electronics can die... you just have to enjoy it, some L30 will last for many years, others maybe 2 3 years...
Electronics is random, a PC can live for 10 years, or 2 years...
No lifetime unfortunately

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Got the email with tracking number from Apos, so my replacement is on the way, thanks you Apos and Topping for stepping up and fixing this, even though I wasn't having problems yet.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Ah yes... 4 hex screws on the backplate (2 of them hold the RCA connectors).
You only don't need to remove the RCA screws when the volpot is loosened but to merely look inside all 4 hex screws need to be removed.

mundee

Yeah agreed it doesn't get as hot. Excellent!
Anyhow is it just me, or do i get a sense that it's a bit louder than previous versions?

ngs428

My replacement from Apos has some movement in the USPS system as of 2/2/21. It is in CA on its way to me. Thank you Apos and Topping for the resolution! I have been missing it!

Illtrick

Looks like some others are trying to sort this out right now. Here's a quick how-to:

Step 1: Remove the volume knob - use a non-marring tool to work it off the post. Then use small pliers to unscrew the nut, it's not tight.

vol pot.jpg

Step 2: Remove these two screws from the rear. They're 2mm hex. No need to remove the screws above the RCA's.
back.jpg

Step 3: Slide out the PCB and look in the front left corner for IDs.
top down.jpg

Top Bottom