• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

threni

Major Contributor
I admit I am not fully keeping up with this thread so stupid question but... Why would a seller force someone to destroy an l30 ?
To make sure it can't be used or resold.

For more details, read just about any of the last 150 pages in this thread.

Lucco

Is there a way to visually check the "ESD protection system" in the L30 (S/N: 2012 or higher)?

hwlr

Hello, how far do you have to turn the volume knob down in low gain to reach 50 mV or so output? I am listening at very low levels and want to know whether it is far from the imbalance range or not... thank you! :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I assume you also work for Topping? Either way, your nickname is kind of epic. :)

No, I don't work for Topping.
I just know about electronics, audio amp designs and ESD/EMC testing by profession.

Hello, how far do you have to turn the volume knob down in low gain to reach 50 mV or so output? I am listening at very low levels and want to know whether it is far from the imbalance range or not... thank you!

You can turn it down till you hear imbalance. You can also switch to -9dB setting and get a bit lower. Every potmeter is different so there is no fixed point for imbalance.
Just enjoy the amp (if it has ser >2012)

Is there a way to visually check the "ESD protection system" in the L30 (S/N: 2012 or higher)?

Open the rear cover and see if there is a wire or contact going from the PCB to the enclosure.
I expect @JohnYang1997 to know how it was fixed and how to check without voiding warranty and what to look for.

I would be reluctant to post this info though as that would encourage folks to fix their amps while getting a new one and bring the 'half fixed' version on the second hand market. That's why some sellers ask for pictures of destroyed amps.

hwlr

You can turn it down till you hear imbalance. You can also switch to -9dB setting and get a bit lower. Every potmeter is different so there is no fixed point for imbalance.
Just enjoy the amp (if it has ser >2012)

Thank you! Actually I haven't bought it yet, that's why I'm asking. But you're true, each potmeter is different so it's not predictable at what level imbalance will start. :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you buy one new you will almost certainly receive the latest model, and if not for some reason complain and get a replacement.

hwlr

Thank you for the advice! ;) I am not worried about this, I'm just (not so patiently) waiting for Audiophonics.fr to have it back in stock

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Absolutely. No need to open it. Just take your L30 to the nearest X-ray facility.

half_dog

I would be reluctant to post this info though as that would encourage folks to fix their amps while getting a new one and bring the 'half fixed' version on the second hand market. That's why some sellers ask for pictures of destroyed amps.
Should I delete my last post?
I did that with mine unit just for fun because I will have to "destroy" it and its right channel is gone anyway. Btw it seems a defective relay, I could relocate with another relay from the circuit, but... it will be gone soon :(

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Should I delete my last post?
I did that with mine unit just for fun because I will have to "destroy" it and its right channel is gone anyway. Btw it seems a defective relay, I could relocate with another relay from the circuit, but... it will be gone soon :(

I wouldn't delete it... it's DIY and a good solution. I figure Topping won't post pictures like that.
For those that don't want to send theirs in or have them replaced it will offer protection from ESD damage.

SHIN

I asked when I could receive the new version.
They said it would take a few weeks.
Perhaps they don't know the exact dates.

I think it depends on how many returns they have.
I applied with the expectation that it would come in February.

From Japan :)

IlTassoZero

Hi to everybody and @JohnYang1997,
this is my first post here.
I'm considering to buy a new L30 but, at this time, i'm not found this product available from the shops in my country (Amazon or Playstereo in Italy).
Do you know when i will found L30 new version available again from the official distributors?
Maybe a new product like L30s will launched soon?
Thanks and congratulations for this forum and to all the staff, really complete and full of great news :)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm considering to buy a new L30 but, at this time, i'm not found this product available from the shops in my country (Amazon or Playstereo in Italy).
Do you know when i will found L30 new version available again from the official distributors?
Thanks and congratulations for this forum and to all the staff, really complete and full of great news :)
No new L30 replacement in near future.

NgtFlyer

The L30 was just introduced about five months ago and provides incredible sound, especially for the price. As @JohnYang1997 just confirmed, a replacement product is not coming in the near future. I am very happy with mine and I am sure I will be equally as happy with the updated unit that is making its way to me.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Perfect.
Do you know when i will found L30 new version available again from the official distributors? Now i can't find a seller of the revisited L30 in my local shop.
thank you very much
Just buy it from Audiophonics and they will ship to Italy I guess.

Yoyop

Hello, just to say I've my DHL's tracking number today ! (approx. 02/15 for delivery)
Waiting for it :)

Nice job with replacement campaign Topping, can't wait listen again this tiny bomb with my HD600 !

Top Bottom