• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

threni

Major Contributor
2006 is lower than 2012 so...yes... get it replaced for free.

with versions below 2012 you have a very small risk it could damage your headphone in case of a failure.
Failures that have been reported so are real.
Do yourself a favor... contact your seller and have it replaced ... just to be sure.

Maybe ask your seller why you've not already been approached. An email to all customers who bought before a certain date surely isn't asking too much? Didn't Topping tell them to?

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Has anyone recived a replacment from Shenzhen audio yet? The tracking number they gave me shows no activity. (Ive messaged them today but it may take a while for them to get back to me)

NONTAS

It is pointless to measure the 2008 version. NONE of the serial numbers below 2012 will have a connection.

ONLY 2012**** serial numbers could be checked just to make sure one has an ESD fixed version There is a 10% chance the wire is not there BUT the amp will not destroy headphones in any case when an ESD pulse destroys the amp.

All serial numbers above 2012 will have the connection and even when the connection is not there (assembly error) your headphones will still be safe.
So with 2012 there is still a chance an ESD pulse to destroy the amp? Is there any way to make them safe too?

Last edited:

knownunknown

Has anyone recived a replacment from Shenzhen audio yet? The tracking number they gave me shows no activity. (Ive messaged them today but it may take a while for them to get back to me)

just curious, did you have to send them your faulty L30 first or did they just send you a new one by showing them a receipt, serial nr. etc?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So with 2012 there is still a chance an ESD pulse to destroy the amp? Is there any way to make them safe too?

About 10% of 2012 batch left the factory without the ESD fix.

When you know something about electronics they are really easy to fix. When you don't ... don't worry ...it won't blow up headphones.

Do this ONLY to 2012**** versions that are only missing the ground wiring. The vast majority of 2012 (90% of them) already have this fix.
Every serial number above 2012 is 100% fixed.

NONTAS

When you know something about electronics they are really easy to fix. When you don't ... don't worry ...it won't blow up headphones.

Do this ONLY to 2012**** versions that are only missing the ground wiring. The vast majority of 2012 (90% of them) already have this fix.
My main concern is the faulty function in preamp mode. My marantz PM 410 is just great with my HD6xx and significaly better than L30. I was about to return L30 but i noticed that topping stack E30 + L30 is way better than just E30 on its own in my system. So is it that dangerous in preamp mode that maybe is better to return it? Too risky? What would you do in this case?

Last edited:

NgtFlyer

My main concern is the faulty function in preamp mode. My marantz PM 410 is just great with my HD6xx and significaly better than L30. I was about to return L30 but i noticed that topping stack E30 + L30 is way better than just E30 on its own in my system. So is it that dangerous in preamp mode that maybe is better to return it? Too risky? What would you do in this case?

It is not dangerous in preamp mode. I'd go ahead and get a replacement if your serial is before 2020 December (2012) but the fault fries headphones. Your gear down the chain in preamp mode is safe.

NONTAS

It is not dangerous in preamp mode. I'd go ahead and get a replacement if your serial is before 2020 December (2012) but the fault fries headphones. Your gear down the chain in preamp mode is safe.
Thanks for the reply. It is 2008. I will go for a replacement, but in this case would the older units be safe too? Although i already damged it, this info could be useful for some.

NgtFlyer

I assume you also work for Topping? Either way, your nickname is kind of epic. :)

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I'd disagree. If the amplifer input stage isn't cap coupled there will be serious problems if the l30 dumps its dc rail out the rca output.

escalibur

Shenzen Audio will be shipping my L30 before Chinese New Year. It looks very likely that I'm gonna get 'the very fixed' version. :)

wrigglycheese

Please don't do that. The above picture already made me very sad. :(
It's OK to destroy it if your reseller forces you to, but there's no need to display it.

I admit I am not fully keeping up with this thread so stupid question but... Why would a seller force someone to destroy an l30 ?

Top Bottom