• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
From technical standpoint. Not using a good preamp but the dac preamp decreases DNR/SNR as volume decreases. The SNR is not preserved. With analogue preamp after the dac will maintain much better SNR.
You can't add anything buy using preamp but you lose SNR when not using a preamp.
Whether this is audible or not is not the point of this post.

Veri

Master Contributor
From technical standpoint. Not using a good preamp but the dac preamp decreases DNR/SNR as volume decreases. The SNR is not preserved. With analogue preamp after the dac will maintain much better SNR.
Right, but as long as attenuation is modest, non-analogue should be 'fine' right? Lowering volume with volume control is "free", the digital device above only ~$30. A good analog pre-amp will cost a lot more than that :) but yes it should have the best performance.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Right, but as long as attenuation is modest, non-analogue should be 'fine' right? Lowering volume with volume control is "free", the digital device above only ~$30. A good analog pre-amp will cost a lot more than that :) but yes it should have the best performance.
In real world and audibility yes. But I was talking about the logical and objective differences.

D

Deleted member 18309

Thanks everyone for the responses. I admit I do tend to overthink. I will make a decision based on suggestions and report back if I decide to get an L30 to use as a preamp.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I have this Droking one. Works perfectly for what it is, just a digital volume wheel on USB :)
You're probably the one who alerted me to it in the first place. :cool: If I'd had something like this back when I was still using an E-MU 1212M, I could have saved a few steps in my audio journey.

thin bLue

Reviewer
@JohnYang1997

If I use L30 with
Okto dac8 stereo DAC

what output voltage option will be the best?
(I only use low gain)
wonder your suggestions!

(any plan to build Microphone preamp with 48V power and ADC as Powerful as L30/E30 ? It will be the game chaner xD)

3125b

Major Contributor
Do you have any special headphones that require more power than the Okto headphone amp can put out?
The Okto has balanced outputs exclusively, I wouldn't really pair that with an unbalanced amp anyway.
The most useful choice for the L30 would be 3V (6V balanced), using low gain exclusively doesn't strike me as in any way sensible.
You should overthink the whole premise.

Fedpul

Many thanks for your answer Veri. Do you know how many Amps the L30 need? Maybe someone can upload a photo of the 110V so I will know.

I am very excited about this upgrade, I have an almost 10 year old DAC/AMP (Nuforce Icon HD). I will be listening on a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 with cable.

Hi, I went into the Rabbit Hole really fast. I now have the Topping E30+L30 and have bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and then I give another jump and bought the headphones I dreamt for the Senhheiser HD 800 S.

I will share a photo of the setup:

I really liked how the Sennheiser HD 800 S sound with the E30+L30, the result is clean, transparent, detailed and I have lots of power to spare even in unity gain (normally listening between 10 to 1 o'clock depending on song).

I am questioning myself if I would listen a difference upgrading the DAC/AMP down the road, maybe Topping D90+A90 in the future or RME ADI-2 DAC. What do you think?

Also I would like to know if you hear distortion in some Tidal songs, like the signal clipping, for example at 3:37 and 3:57 in the next song:

https://tidal.com/browse/track/1192606

Thanks in advance.

Greetings from Argentina!

thin bLue

Reviewer
Do you have any special headphones that require more power than the Okto headphone amp can put out?
The Okto has balanced outputs exclusively, I wouldn't really pair that with an unbalanced amp anyway.
The most useful choice for the L30 would be 3V (6V balanced), using low gain exclusively doesn't strike me as in any way sensible.
You should overthink the whole premise.

You are correct, I don't have that kinda headphones lol
Just obsession with lower noise as common audiophile

Okto has better IEM amp compare with L30?
(of course I think this level of difference is not audible at all)

Last edited:

Robbyroberts

Hi guys, im trying this L30 after wait months for an Heresy. I have the classic Sound blaster Z in DAC for now (plan to replace with E30), but is possiblle he can't drive "good" my DT990pro 250ohm? Otherwise i can "ear decent" only at 3/4 of volume in 0+db and the case is a little hot.

Any risk to keep at max forever? maybe a mini fan?

Ps with integrated amp in blaster is more loud than L30 with 22ohm i think D:

Lifu

Hi guys, im trying this L30 after wait months for an Heresy. I have the classic Sound blaster Z in DAC for now (plan to replace with E30), but is possiblle he can't drive "good" my DT990pro 250ohm? Otherwise i can "ear decent" only at 3/4 of volume in 0+db and the case is a little hot.

Any risk to keep at max forever? maybe a mini fan?

Ps with integrated amp in blaster is more loud than L30 with 22ohm i think D:
Hello!

I have the DT990 Pro 250 Ohm and the L30 can easily drive them.
3/4 volume meaning you have the knob between 2 and 3 o'clock?

The heat is not a concern. It might feel hot to the touch, but in reality, it's somewhere around 40 degrees which is fine. As long as you can keep your hand on it is fine and you can keep it at max forever.

Your soundcard might not provide enough output voltage and is why you need to turn the knob so much.

LE: I just tried them and using the E30+L30 I keep the knob at 12 o'clock for a loud experience. I can't go past 2 o'clock.
If I use my EQ with -5dB on the preamp, I have to turn the knob between 1 and 2 o'clock for the same loud experience.

Last edited:

Robbyroberts

Hi Lifu! Thank you for the answer :D

I have suspect the card too, or a sort of stregonery to windows drivers mmh

Because if i try to do something with creative software can fix but dunno seems strange or less limpid D:!
Here same with -5dB on EQ with oratory1990 profile, maybe i can try to bypass the card software and use the frontal input mmh, i read a similar problems many years ago ò.ò

Anyway now i'm more calm to use it at 4 o'clock, thank you!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I think the specs say it has 2Vrms out when loaded with 10k Ohm.
It is highly unlikely a CD or DVD player has a line-out with 10k Ohm, I suspect it will have an output R around 100 Ohm or so.

magicscreen

I think the specs say it has 2Vrms out when loaded with 10k Ohm.
It is highly unlikely a CD or DVD player has a line-out with 10k Ohm, I suspect it will have an output R around 100 Ohm or so.
I see, thank you very much!

jasonhanjk

My CD and DVD player has
LINE OUT (AUDIO): Phono jack/2 Vrms/10 kilohms

Could that be a problem?
It means minimum load is 10k ohm.
Most likely it use 10uF at the line output. If yes than the -3dB is at 6.4Hz when your input impedance is 2.5k ohm. Expect some small rise in THD for the low frequency.

Use low gain mode for a quick fix.

Top Bottom