• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

toxotis70

is it a good amp for my sundara ?
Sundara has low impedence (37 Ohm) and L30 doesnt have a gain switch... is there any better solution up to 150 euros ?

Robin L

Master Contributor
Sundara has low impedence (37 Ohm) and L30 doesnt have a gain switch... is there any better solution up to 150 euros ?
The L30 has a three-position gain switch. It also has plenty of power. I sincerely doubt there's anything better for headphones that don't need balanced connection to the amp. It's still the THD + Noise champion of headphone amps.

kkeretic

It's a great combo, I used my Sundaras with the L30 and I was really happy with the combo.

half_dog

I would recommend reading the respective reviews, comparing the feature sets, availability, warranty/service and picking the one that suits your needs the best. Either way, both will be audibly transparent.
For low impedance headphones L30 can delivers more current than Atom (Plus) hence more power but you will need a DAC capable to output a signal up to 3V to make it reachs its maximum power. Atom is limited to ~1W at 32ohm because it saturates (clips) in this condition, L30 does not. It's possible to compare both amps using Atom Plus and Sabaj A10h (almost the same circuit from L30) reviews. At the THD+N vs output voltage A10h doesn't saturate indicating it has some headroom to output more power.

Last edited:

deccatree

In a beatiful valley in the northern alps
I just received my L30 (second hand) #2012. I'm happy that the modification pin is soldered in a good way. Also soldering of the board seems to be fine. Soldering meniscus are how they should be, but much to much soldering solvent as always on chinese made boards. The buffer OPAMP isn't sanded anymore and one can see that it's really a OPA1612. The safety circuit is now driven by a TL072 instead of a NE5532. Maybe that enhances the quality of the design also. So far so good.
Sound is good, but not big step from my resident amps like O2 and SMSL SAP2. Both are able to drive my ATH-R70 (470 Ohms) to a high volume. L30 is not! He has not enough power to drive this can. Lower impedance cans are powered very well ;-) This result is surprising, cause the SMSL SAP 2 uses the same chips, buut the outout stage is made with only one TDA6120. So i expected, to have more power on higher impedances. But the design obviously dosn't allow this and output power is strongly decreasing from 300 Ohms upwards. That's a show stopper for me and i won't keep it, nevertheless the other very good qualities.

PKAWA

@amirm I was wondering if you could give me an explanation about what I read in this topic?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It has already been discussed here. It is a measurement error caused by the measurement method Marv used.
It is the back EMF of a headphone falling across a small resistance you are looking at.
As you can see the thread went silent after my HD650 load simulator was built.

Nikola Tesla

I asked the same question on the PA5 Review thread but it got buried.

What is the output voltage of the L30 in pre-amp mode?

I read through the documentation but I got confused and wasn't sure what to make of it.
Amir mentioned the PA5 needs 2.5V signal going into to be driven effectively (to achieve max power).

I'm using an E30/L30 stack, and was considering expanding to a desktop speaker setup adding a PA5 and passives to my mix.
Want to know if I need to pass the signal through the L30 as a pre-amp or it can be skipped altogether, and what the ramifications are to my signal.

Thanks.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I asked the same question on the PA5 Review thread but it got buried.

What is the output voltage of the L30 in pre-amp mode?

I read through the documentation but I got confused and wasn't sure what to make of it.
Amir mentioned the PA5 needs 2.5V signal going into to be driven effectively (to achieve max power).

I'm using an E30/L30 stack, and was considering expanding to a desktop speaker setup adding a PA5 and passives to my mix.
Want to know if I need to pass the signal through the L30 as a pre-amp or it can be skipped altogether, and what the ramifications are to my signal.

Thanks.
The l30 in preamp mode in high gain (+9db) will drive the pa5 to full power no problem in your setup.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You need to use the pre-amp function of the L30.
The E30 is 2V out so to reach 2.5V you need the amp function

lewis

Please help.

I just bought a (New) Topping L30 from a UK eBay seller. It came in the original box and was well packed.
It has a 201262 number but doesn't have continuity between the channel ground and the back panel screws.
Is it easy to fix with a ground wire or should I send it back?
I'm very suspicious that it's a customer return item that's being resold.
What should I do?

half_dog

Please help.

I just bought a (New) Topping L30 from a UK eBay seller. It came in the original box and was well packed.
It has a 201262 number but doesn't have continuity between the channel ground and the back panel screws.
What should I do?
Which screws you have picked to measure? The screws closer to the RCA connectors are not connected to ground, those close to case's edges are supposed to be...

threni

Major Contributor
Please help.

What should I do?

2012 is later than the recalled 2011 range so it should be a new, safe revision. Selling something that's been returned as new is not legal in the UK but I'm not sure how you determine it's a customer return item based purely on continuity.

Top Bottom