• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

rasen

Hey!

I've received today the L30. I needed a desktop PC amp which could power my headphones but also work as an preamp for active desktop speakers.

I like the sound and usability of it. The output selection switch is amazing for desktop usage. Gain switch is also very nice (I like to keep headphones +9 and speakers at 0 level).

There is one big flaw (at least for me). The volume knob feels really cheap. It's not very smooth and it's hard to grip it when a headphone jack is plugged in. It has some loose and sometimes it "scratches" like it was touching the case. Has anyone tried to replace it? Does any one know exact dimensions of the d-shaft?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Alas you will have to live with it it seems.
When it is very bad you can ask to have it replaced but some of them have this in some extend.
see reply from the designer

Last edited:

plutonim

I had replace volume
Has anyone tried to replace it? Does any one know exact dimensions of the d-shaft?
Do you want to replace volume knob or potentiometer? I had replace it in my faulty L30 and now it is very smooth and accurate.
I bought it here https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005002119258612.html

But the original shaft doesn't match and I used to made some modification in the knob.
photo_2021-11-09_14-49-58.jpg

Rick63

I bought a second L30 in September. Late last year I returned the first one as reports of the issues with them literally started being reported less a week of receiving it. I didn't want to risk it blowing up my headphones or (especially) IEMs while they were in my ears.

I didn't notice any issues with the volume pot with the first one nor do I with the second one. It is not loose at all and it is very smooth in operation. And I'm a picky SOB so if mine had any issues with the volume pot I'd have returned it.

Oh, and it sounds great with all my headphones/IEMs and works beautifully as a preamp for my Kali Audio LP-6s. I'm quite pleased with my little budget bedroom TV/Movie/Music setup. :cool:

20211009_164432.jpg

Last edited:

SebaMK82

Hi everyone. Thank you very much for providing so many teachings. I plan to buy this L30 and pair it with my Z390 Master's ES9118 DAC (reviewed here too). Since the Dac had very good values, it doesn't throw any noise at me and I quite like its sound signature. I have an ATH-AD500X that on paper is relatively easy to move due to its 48 impedance and sensitivity. But I have read that due to its "hard" materials of construction it improves quite a bit with good amplification power. I clarify that as you can see, my budget is quite limited and it costs me a lot to spend, so I would like you to advise me what I should do. (Obviously in the future I would improve the headphones, so I would make better use of the L30, I would like the HD600). Greetings and I appreciate your time if someone could advise me.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi everyone. Thank you very much for providing so many teachings. I plan to buy this L30 and pair it with my Z390 Master's ES9118 DAC (reviewed here too). Since the Dac had very good values, it doesn't throw any noise at me and I quite like its sound signature.
Sure, get an L30, or get JDS Labs Atom amp and connect with 3.5mm cable. You'll need a cable ending on RCA to connect to L30 if you end up buying one. I own an L30, use it all the time for my amplification needs.. :)

Chagall

Forum Donor
Hi everyone. Thank you very much for providing so many teachings. I plan to buy this L30 and pair it with my Z390 Master's ES9118 DAC (reviewed here too). Since the Dac had very good values, it doesn't throw any noise at me and I quite like its sound signature. I have an ATH-AD500X that on paper is relatively easy to move due to its 48 impedance and sensitivity. But I have read that due to its "hard" materials of construction it improves quite a bit with good amplification power. I clarify that as you can see, my budget is quite limited and it costs me a lot to spend, so I would like you to advise me what I should do. (Obviously in the future I would improve the headphones, so I would make better use of the L30, I would like the HD600). Greetings and I appreciate your time if someone could advise me.

L30 will do it's job. Headphone has it's power requirements no matter the materials:)
But you need to also take into account if you plan to EQ headphones and normalize volume level of your music library.
That will cost you fair amount of volume (about -15dB, depending on the song). With HD600, L30 has just about enough power to drive them, atleast for me.

If you can stretch the budget a bit, take a look at topping DX3Pro+ Dac/amp combo. Think it's 200€, while L30 is 150€.

SebaMK82

Sure, get an L30, or get JDS Labs Atom amp and connect with 3.5mm cable. You'll need a cable ending on RCA to connect to L30 if you end up buying one. I own an L30, use it all the time for my amplification needs.. :)
Thank you very much for answering, the AD500X is currently fine with only the ES9118 DAC on the motherboard. I hope to notice some improvement (probably small) but audible when attaching the L30. Anyway, I already have it for the future. All the best!

SebaMK82

L30 will do it's job. Headphone has it's power requirements no matter the materials:)
But you need to also take into account if you plan to EQ headphones and normalize volume level of your music library.
That will cost you fair amount of volume (about -15dB, depending on the song). With HD600, L30 has just about enough power to drive them, atleast for me.

If you can stretch the budget a bit, take a look at topping DX3Pro+ Dac/amp combo. Think it's 200€, while L30 is 150€.
It doesn't sound bad. I listen to the music on Amazon Music HD by selecting my DAC in "exclusive mode". My biggest question is whether my AD500X will improve a bit with the L30 (they are currently doing very well). Or maybe I should just invest in some new hearing aids to see some improvement. And later the L30. Sorry if I'm a little confused. Thanks for your answer!

Chagall

Forum Donor
It doesn't sound bad. I listen to the music on Amazon Music HD by selecting my DAC in "exclusive mode". My biggest question is whether my AD500X will improve a bit with the L30 (they are currently doing very well). Or maybe I should just invest in some new hearing aids to see some improvement. And later the L30. Sorry if I'm a little confused. Thanks for your answer!

Don't expect day and night differences with any new amps and/or dacs.
Biggest improvement would be to EQ headphones.

SebaMK82

Don't expect day and night differences with any new amps and/or dacs.
Biggest improvement would be to EQ headphones.

Oh friend thank you very much !!! I'll go see those options right now.

Hai

Visiting this thread after a long time. My first l30 burned up and burned my iems and I got a replacement free of charge from Apos audio. I just noticed that the replacement has the 2012 serial number. I'm afraid of the ESD issue. Also the volume knob is very wobbly compared to the first one. Am I allowed to get a replacement with a serial number past 2012? Has anyone replaced their l30 that has a serial number which starts with 2012?

JohnnyNG

Picked up one of these along with a pair of HD 600 and am finding it a wonderful combo. With some of the input voltage discussion I was a little concerned about not having enough gain when connecting my 40dB MM phono stage but it's not been an issue at all and even unity/0dB gain has been fine in most cases. Kind of nuts it's as cheap as it is.

Arius

Hello. I have a question. I got the L30 and E30 since release. Back then, there was nothing better for the price. Has it change yet? What could I get for 300€? And whar would be the best for 600€ is a DX7 Pro worth it?

Greetings, John

Bleib

Major Contributor
Hello. I have a question. I got the L30 and E30 since release. Back then, there was nothing better for the price. Has it change yet? What could I get for 300€? And whar would be the best for 600€ is a DX7 Pro worth it?

Greetings, John
At this level it's likely that it's impossible to hear a difference with the electronics. It's mostly down to which headphones are used

TheHighContemplator

Greetings, John
I use the E30/L30 combo with my Drop+DCA Aeon Closed X, which are very power hungry cans, and the combo provides an audibly black noise-floor and epic dynamics. I truly would be fooling myself if I upgraded.

jbveraperez

Hi all. I've read quite a bit here but it's the first time I've decided to write. I can't give any advice because my knowledge is quite limited.
I have the usual combo E30/L30 and I'm pleased with the result but I have a problem I need to solve. I know some of you have had the same problem before but I couldn't find an answer that could suit me.
The AC/AC adapter that came with the L30 15vac 1000ma bla bla it's broken! It makes a really weird noise so I can't use it anymore. This thing is I can't find another one (or I don't know how to find it). Could anyone enlighten me, please? Could anyone share a link to buy another one suitable, in Spain preferably?
I bought mine from a dealer in Aliexpress but I feel I won't have any success. I, also wrote to TOPPING customer service, but I haven't heard back and I feel their answer will be "Deal with the dealer".
I have it a bit more than a year but, I'm pretty sure I can find a replacement for this so I won't have to throw this L30 yet.
Thanks very much for all your time and efforts.
Kindest regards.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi all. I've read quite a bit here but it's the first time I've decided to write. I can't give any advice because my knowledge is quite limited.
I have the usual combo E30/L30 and I'm pleased with the result but I have a problem I need to solve. I know some of you have had the same problem before but I couldn't find an answer that could suit me.
The AC/AC adapter that came with the L30 15vac 1000ma bla bla it's broken! It makes a really weird noise so I can't use it anymore. This thing is I can't find another one (or I don't know how to find it). Could anyone enlighten me, please? Could anyone share a link to buy another one suitable, in Spain preferably?
I bought mine from a dealer in Aliexpress but I feel I won't have any success. I, also wrote to TOPPING customer service, but I haven't heard back and I feel their answer will be "Deal with the dealer".
I have it a bit more than a year but, I'm pretty sure I can find a replacement for this so I won't have to throw this L30 yet.
Kindest regards.
I bought my spare here:

Works like a charm!

filipduarte

Kindest regards.
Maybe @JohnYang1997 can confirm if this is legit, but I bought a replacement for mine in this link from Aliexpress:

Last edited:
Top Bottom