• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All transformers get warm
When turned on? Sure. But with the L30 turned off, that is, no load on the transformer? I think it shouldn't get warm.

Pawlakbest

Yes, but only the 2012 units WITHOUT the ESD fix are recalled. John Yang has mentioned this a couple of times, a quick search found this one. You need to check first. The chances are small your 2012 does not have the fix (you will see the pin on the rear of the board if it does have it). If you do not have the pin, photograph it to send to Apos. If you do have the fix. Also photograph it. Then you can sell your 2012 letting the buyers know it is fixed, and have proof of it.
Is there a video of how to open L30? I'm not that good with this stuff and it's kinda shame I have to do it by myself with a chance of breaking something. Or is there a way to check if it's fixed without opening?

kkeretic

When turned on? Sure. But with the L30 turned off, that is, no load on the transformer? I think it shouldn't get warm.

There is no on/off switch between the transformer and the mains, so the transformer is always connected.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a video of how to open L30? I'm not that good with this stuff and it's kinda shame I have to do it by myself with a chance of breaking something. Or is there a way to check if it's fixed without opening?
You either need a really really small hex key, like a #9 or smaller, or use a multimeter and do a continuity test between the RCA shield and a back panel screw. You don't have to take anything apart using the multimeter method.

Yoyop

Hello guys, just for those who have 2012, if you wanna check ESD fix, you take a multimeter, you check continuity between RCA shield and the rear screw. (REAR screw IS NOT RCA screw ;) )
If it has continuity => ESD Fix (so all fixes)

By the way, I'm guessing that all 2012 who has been sent after the campaign are all fixed, maybe the first 2012 before Topping made an official statement are not ESD fixed.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be crystal clear on the multimeter continuity test, connect your leads to the circled screw and the outer ring of the RCA jack.
If you hear a beeb, you can keep.
If only silence, it's out of compliance.
1616628146558.png

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
....If you hear a beeb, you can keep.
If only silence, it's out of compliance.

Love it! but my meter makes no sounds

...so perhaps also
If the Ohms say zero, your amp's a hero!
If the Ohms say lots, off to eBay it trots.....NO JUST KIDDING, don't!!!!
THIS: If the Ohms say lots, put it back in the box.

raif71

Major Contributor
1616654819006.png

Just got my L30 replacement with SN 2101xxxx from the local audio store.

1) Relace my old l30 and box with a new box and l30 (I keep only the 6.35mm adaptor and power supply)
2) Volume feels like the old (no stiff parts when turning from 0 to max)
3) Led only blink once when switching on the amp with just 1 relay sound clicking (just like the old unit)
4) Performance is the same as before which is good

Edit: When I was contacted, I asked which SN version the store had and I was told 2012 and 2101 so I requested and 2101 version and they agreed. :)

Last edited:

Not dave

Would an apple dongle be a good enough dac for this amp?
Source would be an iPhone XR (lightning dongle) or an iPad Air 4 (usbc dongle).
headphones would be hd650

Veri

Master Contributor
Would an apple dongle be a good enough dac for this amp?
Source would be an iPhone XR (lightning dongle) or an iPad Air 4 (usbc dongle).
headphones would be hd650
It'll work. You'll need middle gain at least though, high gain with low volume stuff like classical etc. But it'll sound just fine ;) I tried it before.

life.exeMPLAR

Hi, recently i started hearing channel imbalance in my topping l30
The image fells like its in your head on right eye level, pretty unnatural
I turned on my multimeter to ac voltage at 1khz with online frequency generator and i got
L: 0.259V
R: 0.266V
Is this difference hearable, am I sane?
and most importantly what can I do

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just got my L30 replacement with SN 2101xxxx from the local audio store.
It's good to see that people are finally starting to get replacement units produced in 2021 ! :D Thanks for sharing.
My dream of getting a replacement unit (well, two) is now closer to reality.

I turned on my multimeter to ac voltage at 1khz with online frequency generator and i got
I doubt it would be hearable, and if it was, I guess it wouldn't be to the point you seem to describe.
However, there's an easy test : go to your music player and just play with the balance until you get perfect balance according to you. For example foobar2000 has many ways to adjust balance.
Once balance is perfect for you, measure L and R voltages again if you can, and draw your own conclusions.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

That depends on which multimeter you used and under what conditions and the volpot position.
When it is correct the difference is 'only' 0.2dB but it could be much smaller than that.

Use a 100Hz tone at 0dB and set the gain in M position, volume at max level and you should be measuring the output voltage of the used DAC.

life.exeMPLAR

That depends on which multimeter you used and under what conditions and the volpot position.
When it is correct the difference is 'only' 0.2dB but it could be much smaller than that.

Use a 100Hz tone at 0dB and set the gain in M position, volume at max level and you should be measuring the output voltage of the used DAC.
then its 1.953/1.952 in both channels
Do I have a way to measure the headphones then (sundara)

Top Bottom