• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I bought an L30 and can confirm if you bought used, got it as a gift, or for any reason can't contact your dealer or don't know it, Topping won't respond to your emails anymore. They did the first time, but now crickets when I explained the situation. It's a total loss, even if you wanted to ship it to them for the $30 it would probably cost, they won't honor the recall themselves. I'm not going to sell it as the liability is too much if it zapped someones stuff. Maybe sell it for parts only with full disclosure, maybe a repair shop could use it. Sticking with Schiit or JDS from now on, I'm over it.

knownunknown

so after two months of no movement my parcel with the new l30 is suddenly „over warranty“ (whatever that means) and they will send it again... :rolleyes:

Iglo

Forum Donor
Well I bought an L30 and can confirm if you bought used, got it as a gift, or for any reason can't contact your dealer or don't know it, Topping won't respond to your emails anymore. They did the first time, but now crickets when I explained the situation. It's a total loss, even if you wanted to ship it to them for the $30 it would probably cost, they won't honor the recall themselves. I'm not going to sell it as the liability is too much if it zapped someones stuff. Maybe sell it for parts only with full disclosure, maybe a repair shop could use it. Sticking with Schiit or JDS from now on, I'm over it.

Ouch, I feel for your situation. Although I do see the point why Topping won't provide a warranty.

In many (EU and US if I'm not mistaken) countries the warranty is the responsibility of the dealer and not the manufacturer. The dealer should take care of how he handles the problem with the manufacturer. Normally this provides a benefit to the consumer as even if a manufacturer would go out of business the dealer is still required to honor the warranty period for the products sold (and provide a repair and/or equal alternative). The dealer is also oblige to follow local legislation/consumer protection rules (which, depending on the country, could be more consumer friendly vs the rules where the manufacturer is located).

In this case (with no documentation/dealer to fall back on) your in a rough spot.
Although to be honest, you would be out of luck with most other brands. If not bought directly from the manufacture you need to go to the dealer. I even had this with Apple (which normally has a quite customer friendly warranty/repair policy). It could be that JDS and Schiit have more lenient attitude towards replacing/fixing second hand products, maybe someone on the forum has some experiences to share?

To make matters worst for you I can imagine that Topping is also warry of direct warranty claims. There are quite some "old" L30 for sale which the original owner already received an replacement for. Not saying that's this is the case for you, but it definitely doesn't help.
The best bet is to try and find/trace the dealer and claim warranty with them.

edit: in the EU the dealer still needs to honor a warranty claim (within the legal warranty period) even if you bought the product used or got it as a gift. Not sure if this is the case in the US but I do expect it to be the same.

Last edited:

Nikola Tesla

For those who got replacements from APOS, what serial range did you get?
I'm interested in getting a replacement for my 2007XXXX unit, but am not interested in a 2012XXXX device since my unit has been *knock on wood* trouble free....

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
.......edit: in the EU the dealer still needs to honor a warranty claim (within the legal warranty period) even if you bought the product used or got it as a gift. Not sure if this is the case in the US but I do expect it to be the same.

Good suggestion Iglo. In the U.S. dealers can ask for the purchase invoice to prove you are in the warranty period. Most do not care if you are not the same person on the invoice (as in a gift), but they do want proof it was purchased from them and is under warranty.

Since nearly all Topping products are bought online, the person who sold it used to you should be able to find their original invoice and email it to you. If they are unwilling to do that, I would be very suspicious that they have already received the updated replacement. In that case your battle is with them, not the Topping Dealer.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those who got replacements from APOS, what serial range did you get?
I'm interested in getting a replacement for my 2007XXXX unit, but am not interested in a 2012XXXX device since my unit has been *knock on wood* trouble free....
2012XXXXX. What is the issue with that serial number?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure I read in this thread that there's a chance it has some other issues... Also, being that we're in March '21, why is there such an inventory of Dec '20 stock?
Ok can you be specific as to these other issues if you know them off the top of your head? Thx

CTRLM

As I understand it:

2012XXXXX still might have an issue with electrostatic discharge protection but it won't melt your headphones.

2102XXXXX has fixes for both issues.

I'm happy with my 2012 replacement, never had an issue with my previous 2007XXXXX unit.

My replacement arrived. It was produced in January. Is it true that the January batch still explodes but does not take the headphone down anymore?

IMG_0607.jpg

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As I understand it:

2012XXXXX still might have an issue with electrostatic discharge protection but it won't melt your headphones.

2102XXXXX has fixes for both issues.

I'm happy with my 2012 replacement, never had an issue with my previous 2007XXXXX unit.
Thanks. I plan to sell mine - I'll provide the serial number in the description, but I don't think I'll explicitly state the unit may have ESD issues.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I'm pretty sure I read in this thread that there's a chance it has some other issues... Also, being that we're in March '21, why is there such an inventory of Dec '20 stock?

I do not think so, maybe the little pogo contact between ground and case is not affixed well but in my case it was a very solid contact.

There have been a couple of cases of burning transformers (primary short) - it happened to me and to somebody else before, cannot find the reference anymore. It seems that the rating on the external transformer of the L30 is a bit exaggerated, or the quality is inadequate. One can always buy a 230V in 15V out single secondary enclosed short proof PCB transformer with a 1.2A current max (or even a non short proof Block/Weiss 1.066A) which both exceed the 1A of the topping provided one, put it on a little breadboard, solder the cables, add spacers and attach a second breadboard (if the space is small there is no risk to electrocute yourself by picking it) and it should work MUCH more reliably. I have done it after my original transformed died and was able to resurrect the device. However, there are been at most *two* reported cases of this incident as far as I know.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The power supply gets warm even when not used. Does anyone know or measured the idle power consumption when the unit is off?

Veri

Master Contributor
The power supply gets warm even when not used. Does anyone know or measured the idle power consumption when the unit is off?
IIRC someone did at least once in this 212-pg thread :p

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I plan to sell mine - I'll provide the serial number in the description, but I don't think I'll explicitly state the unit may have ESD issues.
That is not ethical.
----It takes less than 5 minutes to check if the ESD fix is in place, either by removing the back or using a multimeter.
----Topping has already offered to replace for the original owner any 2012 serials without the ESD fix. Just contact your dealer. Owners of used L30s are likely to have a major hassle getting the ESD fix done.
----If you sell yours using a service like eBay and the buyer finds out the ESD fix has not been made, you will be responsible for paying shipping both ways, a full refund and potentially negative metrics. They do not have to prove anything, they just have to say it is not as described.
----If you use a service like eBay it is likely eBay will get complaints before it even sells. A lot of people know the issue and their have already been threads here about how unethical this is. Its not like the L30 problems are a secret.
----My replacement 2012 was one of the first shipped out. It did not have the ESD fix. It died within 2 weeks.

How would you feel buying from someone who is not honest that the item they are selling has been recalled? In worst case you take the back off, discover the fix is not there, and contact your dealer for a replacement.

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is not ethical.
----It takes less than 5 minutes to check if the ESD fix is in place, either by removing the back or using a multimeter.
----Topping has already offered to replace for the original owner any 2012 serials without the ESD fix. Just contact your dealer. Owners of used L30s are likely to have a major hassle getting the ESD fix done.
----If you sell yours using a service like eBay and the buyer finds out the ESD fix has not been made, you will be responsible for paying shipping both ways, a full refund and potentially negative metrics. They do not have to prove anything, they just have to say it is not as described.
----If you use a service like eBay it is likely eBay will get complaints before it even sells. A lot of people know the issue and their have already been threads here about how unethical this is. Its not like the L30 problems are a secret.
----My replacement 2012 was one of the first shipped out. It did not have the ESD fix. It died within 2 weeks.

How would you feel buying from someone who is not honest that the item they are selling has been recalled? In worst case you take the back off, discover the fix is not there, and contact your dealer for a replacement.
Since when were the 2012XXXXX units recalled? I thought it was just units prior.
So go back to Apos.com and demand they replace the 2012XXXXX (which they just replaced) with a 2102XXXXX? Will they do this?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since when were the 2012XXXXX units recalled? I thought it was just units prior.
So go back to Apos.com and demand they replace the 2012XXXXX (which they just replaced) with a 2102XXXXX? Will they do this?

Yes, but only the 2012 units WITHOUT the ESD fix are recalled. John Yang has mentioned this a couple of times, a quick search found this one. You need to check first. The chances are small your 2012 does not have the fix (you will see the pin on the rear of the board if it does have it). If you do not have the pin, photograph it to send to Apos. If you do have the fix. Also photograph it. Then you can sell your 2012 letting the buyers know it is fixed, and have proof of it.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, but only the 2012 units WITHOUT the ESD fix are recalled. John Yang has mentioned this a couple of times, a quick search found this one. You need to check first. The chances are small your 2012 does not have the fix (you will see the pin on the rear of the board if it does have it). If you do not have the pin, photograph it to send to Apos. If you do have the fix. Also photograph it. Then you can sell your 2012 letting the buyers know it is fixed, and have proof of it.
Alright new unit passed the continuity test between the RCA shield and back panel screw. Whew :cool:

Top Bottom