• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING HS02 coming

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If a DAC already filters USB noise and recovers the signal and is insensitive to jitter according to you then why on earth it sounds better with the isolator?

According to the isolator datasheet the chip objectively cleans the jitter by relocking and removes noise from the power bus. In my case it also takes external power (a 9V linear supply for the 5V output).
You may say what you will but the isolator is effective with my USB DAC, be it jitter, noise, or both.

Explain it to me why with the isolator it sounds better, and don't come to me with cognitive bias.
Fitlering out USB power noise is one thing.

Ground noise can't be filtered - because you filter noise to ground. When it gets onto a ground loop, it can only be eliminated with with isolation, by eliminating the ground loop, or improving the system grounding. Isolation is by far the easiest to achieve.

And it is not a component problem - it is a system problem. The noise doesn't get added to the signal in the DAC, it gets added to the signal via a ground voltage difference at two ends of an analogue connection. Often between DAC and Amp.

The noise has nothing do do wth jitter, and with modern dacs re-clocking is un-necessary. They can reject jitter to levels well below audibility

Last edited:

Esprit

Forum Donor
Can this be useful with an SMSL D-6s where I hear "popping" noises before each song?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can this be useful with an SMSL D-6s where I hear "popping" noises before each song?
Not possible to say - depends on what is causing the popping. Are you using the balanced output from the DAC?

Esprit

Forum Donor
I don't know: the software?
The Mac?
Other?
On toslink no problem.
I will eventually buy it on Amazon to see if it solves the problem.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know: the software?
The Mac?
Other?
On toslink no problem.
I will eventually buy it on Amazon to see if it solves the problem.
Balanced output? If you have a balanced connection from the DAC to the amp, it is pretty unlikely ground noise is the problem and the HS02 won't help.

"Toslink no problem" - on the other hand - does suggest ground noise might be an issue. But then, why not just use Toslink?

capslock

If you don't need as much power as the HS02 provides (true for all DACs with power supply), or its extended feature set, then you could save some money with the new Hifime USB High Speed isolator. It also uses the AD UM4166 and an additional DC/DC isolator with a bit less current (still 500 mA), but also better isolation (71 pF coupling capacity only). I know because I got one already.

Ok, 1 nF vs. 71 pF sounds like a lot. What kind of current can the HS 02 deliver? I just looked at the Specs and the whole marketing stuff, and while I learned that it accepts external USB power, I could find a spec for the output current.

Edit: just found this post by Shenzenaudio saying it is 0.9 V.

Is this in the specs anywhere?

Last edited:
Top Bottom