• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 randomly went to MAX volume..

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Turn on the dac/pre first and turn down any volume before you turn on the power amp?
always good advice, but wouldn't help the OP in this case as the volume suddenly maxed out during operation and not at start-up

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hmm, nice tone here. I stop now and hope the default works for all applications.:rolleyes:
Really? You weren't nice either and made it clear that everything I said wasn't true, said kindly. With 5 minutes of research you would have seen that the chip runs on many simple boards without an i2c interface and that is only possible with default values. But that is also in the data sheet you posted.
It may be that a future DAC chip generation will deal with the problem differently. Eg by setting the default volume to very low. But then the chip could no longer be used on simple boards and without an i2c connection.

jmillar

Anyone know if utilizing Windows volume as my main volume control will reduce signal or quality of sound etc.? I suppose my plan from here for a bit is to keep the E70 closer to 0db and use Windows volume as my main control. I'll have Windows probably at 40% or so most of the time.
If you lower volume at the digital source you will be reducing bit depth. Or am I missing something? Quality volume control (stepped resistors, etc) in the analog domain is always preferable.
But in a situation like yours by all means DO lower volume at digital source. Just in case. Yes, buy a preamp/hp amp to control volume. (In a pinch you can easily -though awkwardly?- add a cheap passive attenuator, but it's not really worth it). Finally: pulling the plug (any plug: USB, power...) before any damage is the best option in such a crazy predicament.

Last edited:

Mat

If you lower volume at the digital source you will be reducing bit depth. Or am I missing something? (In a pinch you can easily -though awkwardly?- add a cheap passive attenuator, but it's not really worth it)
Passive attenuation can compromise quality / frequency response as well. I'd go with digital first and only experiment downstream if that loss of bits is noticeable or your amp is too hot, and for some reason the volume pot itself isn't an option

D

Deleted member 48726

If you lower volume at the digital source you will be reducing bit depth. Or am I missing something? Quality volume control (stepped resistors, etc) in the analog domain is always preferable.
But in a situation like yours by all means DO lower volume at digital source. Just in case. Yes, buy a preamp/hp amp to control volume. (In a pinch you can easily -though awkwardly?- add a cheap passive attenuator, but it's not really worth it). Finally: pulling the plug (any plug: USB, power...) before any damage is the best option in such a crazy predicament.
It really doesn't matter one bit(!).

asrUser

Good thing I never listened at -30 dB on chifi DACs. :eek:

JSmith

Master Contributor

JSmith

Sokel

Master Contributor
This thread is probably the reason Topping gives such absurd (at the first look) advices:

marsboer

Forum Donor
Could it be just a language thing? That the term pre-amp mode actually refers to using an external pre-amp, in which case setting the dac volume to 0 makes a lot of sense?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread is probably the reason Topping gives such absurd (at the first look) advices:

I would ask to see the context and detail of the advice requested and given in that thread as that ain't right.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Could it be just a language thing? That the term pre-amp mode actually refers to using an external pre-amp, in which case setting the dac volume to 0 makes a lot of sense?

No, it’s the other way around. In DAC mode the volume is fixed at 0dB. In pre-amp mode the DAC can apply digital volume control.

marsboer

Forum Donor
No, it’s the other way around. In DAC mode the volume is fixed at 0dB. In pre-amp mode the DAC can apply digital volume control.
Given the normal context yes, but my point is that it was perhaps not the context of "pre amp mode" when that "advise" was given.To me it sounds more like they were talking about a scenario where an external pre-amp is available. However any more discussion of this is pointless from my side as it will only be pure speculation..

Sokel

Master Contributor
Given the normal context yes, but my point is that it was perhaps not the context of "pre amp mode" when that "advise" was given.To me it sounds more like they were talking about a scenario where an external pre-amp is available. However any more discussion of this is pointless from my side as it will only be pure speculation..
I'm quoting the troubled user in the other thread:
Topping insist the dac volume in preamp mode should always be at maximum, and use the volume on the amplifier,

Bold is mine.
Seems crystal clear to me.
It's not like they're saying "preamp" in general,they're saying "preamp mode".
I don't know the technical reason and how's that will prevent the loud pops but they obviously know better.

marsboer

Forum Donor
But it would actually make sense to use the volume on the amplifier and set the DAC to 0 in that scenario, so I'm still not sure here. I think too much weight is put on the term pre-amp mode

Sokel

Master Contributor
But it would actually make sense to use the volume on the amplifier and set the DAC to 0 in that scenario, so I'm still not sure here. I think too much weight is put on the term pre-amp mode
Yes,it would but:
Not all amps have VC (most of the power amps don't)
Not all amps have remote control.
No pre-amp mode is needed in such case,DAC mode is the same.

So,what good is DAC's pre-amp mode for?And why it's ok at 0db and may cause pops and stuff lower (other than DSD use and I'm not sure about that either,Khadas Tone along with ESS controler strangely works,reporting DSD both on display and driver CP)
It's not like it's changing output impedance like a passive VC,or something.
I struggle to understand the reason.

Wizard509

Forum Donor
You were lucky that your speakers were not affected.

I use a passive volume controller between the DAC and power amplifier purely for this reason.
Which controller do you use? Will it work with a DAC that is feeding active monitors? Thanks.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I think too much weight is put on the term pre-amp mode
Yes, I can only agree with you.

A DAC chip is always optimized to convert the digital signal to its full extent = 0 dB.
The so-called "preamplifier mode" in most DACs is nothing other than part of the DSP function of the DAC IC used, with which the volume is digitally reduced before the D/A conversion. There are no additional components for this on the analogue side.
Without additional and effective safety measures on the part of the manufacturer or the user, it is like driving in the back seat of a car with a loaded and cocked weapon. You all know that scene in Pulp Fiction? The pothole will not announce itself.

Exceptions to this are DACs like those from RME with their own volume control in front of the DAC chip, or devices like those from Benchmark that have an analog volume control.

Top Bottom