• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II Lite DAC review and measurements

Rate this DAC

• 1. Poor

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • 3. Fine

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • 4. Great

Votes: 52 66.7%

• Total voters

Zek

Major Contributor
Nobody has an E30 II Lite DAC yet? o_O

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few questions for Topping E30 II Lite DAC owners:
Are there any clicks at the beginning of the playlist or delays in playing the song?
Are there clicks and pops when playback stops and then resumes?
Are there clicks and pops when the audio files are of different resolutions (PCM or DSD)?
Does the DAC go into slipping mode if there is no input signal for a few seconds and there is a lag when the signal arrives?
Hi
Most of those thing are software-related, in my opinion. More related to your streamer or PC software. Unless I miss something.

The DAC doesn't go in sleeping mode after a few seconds.

Reactions: Zek

horstman

Nobody has an E30 II Lite DAC yet? o_O

Actually I do, and I'm comparing it with the regular E30II right now.

I have a rather modest setup at the moment though, just an old Macbook connected by USB with the DACs, which is connected to a Fosi V3 amp, and to Celestion SL 600 speakers.

The lite version sounds to me exactly like that, less of everything.
Less detail, less depth, less clarity, by a noticable margin.

That said, I don't really like either of them, too much on the bright side, I'll most likely keep the little SMSL C100 I'm also trying out.

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Less detail, less depth, less clarity, by a noticable margin.

That said, I don't really like either of them, too much on the bright side
Crank the volume up a notch or two.

Those "symptoms" are typical when comparing while volumes are not perfectly aligned.

Audio devices comparaison by listening is a tricky discipline, which requires very high methodological care. And the smaller the expected difference, the more difficult it becomes.
Perfect level matching is rule #00.

Last edited:

horstman

Crank the volume up a notch or two.

Those "symptoms" are typical when comparing while volumes are not perfectly aligned.

Audio devices comparaison by listening is a tricky discipline, which requires very high methodological care. And the smaller the expected difference, the more difficult it becomes.
Perfect level matching is rule #00.

I'm not suggesting my observations are a scientific fact, it's just what I personally did hear, in the fairly basic setup I described.
To me the difference wasn't subtle.

And yes, I always try to keep the volume the same when making comparisons.

BlackWombat

I bought the E30 II Lite a few days ago and im quite pleased with this unit.
Compared to a Dac Magic 100 its less "musical".
Overall sounds more "true" but also "tempered" if that makes sense.
If someone is interested in the insides take a look at the attachehed pictures.
Quite large capacity Rubycon YXJ Caps close to and also in the signal path.
Not to shaby as far as i can tell.

Attachments

• 20230929_114951p.jpg
    20230929_114951p.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 440
  • 20230929_115031p.jpg
    20230929_115031p.jpg
    885.7 KB · Views: 437

I bought the E30 II Lite a few days ago and im quite pleased with this unit.
Compared to a Dac Magic 100 its less "musical".
Overall sounds more "true" but also "tempered" if that makes sense.
If someone is interested in the insides take a look at the attachehed pictures.
Quite large capacity Rubycon YXJ Caps close to and also in the signal path.
Not to shaby as far as i can tell.
RT6863 opamp... good, a powerfull one.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not suggesting my observations are a scientific fact, it's just what I personally did hear, in the fairly basic setup I described.
To me the difference wasn't subtle.

And yes, I always try to keep the volume the same when making comparisons.
"Trying" is not enough when comparing kit. You will always perceive a sonic difference when the devices are not sufficiently accurately level matched. And the only way to do it accurately enough is with a volt meter on the speaker terminals while playing a test signal. To +/-0.1dB.

horstman

"Trying" is not enough when comparing kit. You will always perceive a sonic difference when the devices are not sufficiently accurately level matched. And the only way to do it accurately enough is with a volt meter on the speaker terminals while playing a test signal. To +/-0.1dB.

No offence mate, but you are getting a little carried away. ;)

This topic and this forum provide all the measurements one could want, which is a great; I merely added a subjective impression of my listening experience.
In the end, it's only that experience that has any meaning in audio; and each one's different.

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the end, it's only that experience that has any meaning in audio;
Sure.
and each one's different.
It should not be.

Let me explain:

It's been scientifically proven that (statistically) the preferences in term of frequency response is shared accross the whole population, whatever the age, gender or geographical origin.

And it's also somehow proven that those devices that measure well can't sound any differently, if conditions are equal. (At least, nobody has ever proved the opposite, to my knowledge)

What you did is, most likely, varying those conditions. Which is the very reason you heard differences. They are not coming from the devices you're comparing.

No offence, but the chances that you accidentally discovered an unknown law of physics which would explain a difference of the amplitude you describe between devices measuring audibly perfect, while not taking rigourously all actions to keep everything else but the devices sufficiently equal, are so low that they aren't worth spending the time we take for this exchange.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No offence mate, but you are getting a little carried away. ;)

This topic and this forum provide all the measurements one could want, which is a great; I merely added a subjective impression of my listening experience.
In the end, it's only that experience that has any meaning in audio; and each one's different.
No offence taken mate ;)

That's fine - but if you are making decisions on what kit to buy (or are advising others to do so) based on those impressions, it is only in your own interest to make those comparisons as valid as possible.

Or at least to understand the problems that might arise from not doing so.

And yes - I'm a little obsessive on pointing out these issues, since others reading - especially less knowledgable/experienced - will form their own opinions, understanding and mindset from what they read here. We claim to be about the science. :cool:

DOuG pRATt

Thanks for running the tests. The sharp filter setting in the manual is F-1, but the test results showed sharp is on F-6. I'm going to guess the documentation is accurate for the not-Lite E30 II.

zag55

Good morning. What is the difference between the first version and this second version of the E30? Thanks

Zek

Major Contributor
What is the difference between the first version and this second version of the E30?
Do you mean the difference between E30 and E30II or the difference between E30II and E30II Lite?
By the way, this is a thread about the E30II Lite.

S0C4-11

Forum Donor
Thanks for running the tests. The sharp filter setting in the manual is F-1, but the test results showed sharp is on F-6. I'm going to guess the documentation is accurate for the not-Lite E30 II.
17031495263351.jpg
17031495261540.jpg

jeroboam

I understand that this functions as either a preamp with volume control or a dac but not both at the same time. I would like to know if there are any well measuring devices which can function as both at the same time. Please excuse my ignorance on these matters. My intention is to use one of these devices with an audiophonics power amplifier connected to a wiim pro. I think you can control the volume digitally in the wiim app but I would be nervous about damaging my speakers if anything went wrong. Maybe there is another solution I am not aware of. Thanks for your help.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I understand that this functions as either a preamp with volume control or a dac but not both at the same time. I would like to know if there are any well measuring devices which can function as both at the same time. Please excuse my ignorance on these matters. My intention is to use one of these devices with an audiophonics power amplifier connected to a wiim pro. I think you can control the volume digitally in the wiim app but I would be nervous about damaging my speakers if anything went wrong. Maybe there is another solution I am not aware of. Thanks for your help.
Sounds like what you're looking for is just a regular preamp to be connected between your WiiM Pro and Power Amp.

The Topping L30II and JDS Atom Amp 2 can do that.
They are preamp/headphone amp combo units.

jeroboam

Sounds like what you're looking for is just a regular preamp to be connected between your WiiM Pro and Power Amp.

The Topping L30II and JDS Atom Amp 2 can do that.
They are preamp/headphone amp combo units.
Thank you for prompt response. As the analog out of the wiim is subpar I want to connect it to a better dac which has volume control. I suppose I could just connect a wiim pro plus directly to the power amp but again I would be wary of its volume control. Sorry if I am not understanding your reply correctly.

Top Bottom