• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

D

Deleted member 5035

I've ordered an E30. I'll be using it with a PC, which has Realtek ALC1220 audio, with a Toslink output. Any reason not to use that Toslink connection?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll be using it with a PC, which has Realtek ALC1220 audio, with a Toslink output. Any reason not to use that Toslink connection?

Any reason not to use USB? The ALC might lock the sampler are to a fixed setting. Via USB the right player software can used the E30 dedicated and can work at the sample rate of the source material.

D

Deleted member 5035

Any reason not to use USB? The ALC might lock the sampler are to a fixed setting. Via USB the right player software can used the E30 dedicated and can work at the sample rate of the source material.

Just the potential for ground loops and electrical noise... I'll try both, but wanted some opinions and pointers. Thanks!

Mike-48

@Michael : I agree that USB is worth trying. It allows more flexibility in sampling rates and such. Just be sure to use the Topping driver if you are using Windows. Windows 10 is supposed to work without special drivers, but the one time I tried it, it set the volume of my device to maximum without warning. I've never had that happen with an ASIO driver.

D

Deleted member 5035

I'm using Equalizer APO, so I can't use ASIO or WASAPI. And, in order to get full bit depth, you have to run the USB going out to a DAC at 100%, or so I thought. Am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Mike-48

@Michael - Equalizer APO looks like a great program, but one I know nothing about. I will venture to say that if it can be run as a VST plugin in, say JRiver, you could still use the USB ASIO output drivers of the DAC. But that's not to say that they'll necessarily be better than the optical output, or vice-versa.

Regarding volume, my device (a DAC-preamp) has a volume control that can be set by an attached USB source or device. So you can both send it a full-scale signal and at the same time control volume with its remote, knob, or some USB or network programs. When I tried Windows 10 without a driver, Windows turned the volume of the DAC-preamp to maximum. Yow!

D

Deleted member 5035

@Michael - Equalizer APO looks like a great program, but one I know nothing about. I will venture to say that if it can be run as a VST plugin in, say JRiver, you could still use the USB ASIO output drivers of the DAC. But that's not to say that they'll necessarily be better than the optical output, or vice-versa.

Regarding volume, my device (a DAC-preamp) has a volume control that can be set by an attached USB source or device. So you can both send it a full-scale signal and at the same time control volume with its remote, knob, or some USB or network programs. When I tried Windows 10 without a driver, Windows turned the volume of the DAC-preamp to maximum. Yow!

Oh okay. I understand. My amp has a volume control, so I'll be running the E30 in DAC mode, so it'll be at full volume all the time.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@Michael - Equalizer APO looks like a great program, but one I know nothing about. I will venture to say that if it can be run as a VST plugin [...]
Equalizer APO is... an APO. It's system-wide. It can't be run as VST. It can however host VSTs.

aon500

I'm using Equalizer APO, so I can't use ASIO or WASAPI. And, in order to get full bit depth, you have to run the USB going out to a DAC at 100%, or so I thought. Am I misunderstanding what you mean?

You can use EQ in realtek audio console instead then use WASAPI + EQ in musicbee when listen to music.

For me Equalizer APO worse than EQ in realtek and musicbee.

D

Deleted member 5035

You can use EQ in realtek audio console instead then use WASAPI + EQ in musicbee when listen to music.

For me Equalizer APO worse than EQ in realtek and musicbee.

It's not the EQ I need. It's VST support for use with crossfeed and ITD VSTs. I'll figure it out. And I just found out that Apos is shipping my order from China. If that is going to cause the delays I expect, I'll be cancelling the order anyway. Thanks for your input.

Mike-48

My order arrived from China in less thaan a week.

Vladetz

Ordered E30 today on Aliexpress. About 100$ with all coupons. Most suppliers on Aliexpress now ship with S/N starting 2011
Got my unit today (I'm living in Moscow, Russia). S/N starts with 2011. Haven't tested yet

Top Bottom