• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

slartibart

Anyone else's E30 "vibrate" when touched? It stops if you put weight onto it (hold it down by hand). It's a tad weird and disconcerting...
That sounds like an electrical earth issue. Someone else mentioned the same thing recently. It probably depends on how It is powered and how it is connected to your player. Does the "vibration" disappear of you disconnect the input cable? Optical shouldn't cause the issue but the coax and USB might.

holbob

That sounds like an electrical earth issue. Someone else mentioned the same thing recently. It probably depends on how It is powered and how it is connected to your player. Does the "vibration" disappear of you disconnect the input cable? Optical shouldn't cause the issue but the coax and USB might.

I use coax and optical. It's connected to a 5v USB input in a power strip tower (8 sockets, 4 usb). I have spare phone charger plugs, maybe try one of those??

slartibart

I use coax and optical. It's connected to a 5v USB input in a power strip tower (8 sockets, 4 usb). I have spare phone charger plugs, maybe try one of those??
Worth a try, phone chargers don't have an earth. If that doesn't stop it try disconnecting the coax.

finitol

Well, regarding subtle vibration on E30, i made some test and..definitely is an electrical issue.

Switching or deswitching other components, i found a notably reduction of that vibration, and with one subwoofer (system have two of them)changing line by neutral (opposite than normal use) was a little improvement too.

A question emerge. In a single power line i have (by order) one subwoofer, two amplifiers, A/V receiver, minidsp and two E30 in a connection strip and finally second subwoofer.

Which is proper order to connext devices?
First analogue then digitals?
First digitals then analogue?
Doesn't matter?

slartibart

Yes, mine does the same pop when wake-up from stand-by and also when goes to stand-by.
I have a second unit which I will test soon to see if has the same behavior.
Are you using a Squeezelite player or similar? I just tried connecting my Squeezebox Touch using USB and I don't get the pop or the 45.15 DSD when the DAC comes out of standby.
I would use this configuration but when the sample rate changes, when changing from a 44.1 kHz to a 48 kHz radio station for example the DAC falls silent until I change the input to coax or optical then switch back to USB.

Toku

Major Contributor
I recently contacted Topping about an issue where an audible pop occurs when using the USB input and coming out of standby. This pop only occurs coming out of standby and no other time. If the DAC is already on and displaying the flashing blue USB symbol and I turn on the player then the display shows the same (45.15 DSD changing to 44.1 PCM) but no pop. I sent Topping a video showing the issue and their final reply suggested the DAC maybe faulty and to return it. I have seen other posts mentioning a pop at start up so I don't want to return it if they all do it. I have attached a link to my video of the issue. Does anyone have an E30 that does not have an audible pop when coming out of standby using the USB input?

Video of audible pop
Why is 45.15 DSD displayed when E30 does not support 45.15 DSD? Are you sending a 45.15 DSD signal from your PC to the E30?
I have three E30s from different production times and I don't have that symptom.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why is 45.15 DSD displayed when E30 does not support 45.15 DSD? Are you sending a 45.15 DSD signal from your PC to the E30?
I have three E30s from different production times and I don't have that symptom.
This happens to me every time I restart the unit. The display always shows 45.15 DSD initially.

slartibart

Good question. I have no idea why it displays 45.15 DSD. I am using a piCorePlayer via USB. It seems to display 45.15 before locking onto the actual sample rate. It doesn't happen if I connect a Squeezebox Touch. What do you feed your DAC with? Other users also see this though.

Aldoszx

Are you using a Squeezelite player or similar? I just tried connecting my Squeezebox Touch using USB and I don't get the pop or the 45.15 DSD when the DAC comes out of standby.
I would use this configuration but when the sample rate changes, when changing from a 44.1 kHz to a 48 kHz radio station for example the DAC falls silent until I change the input to coax or optical then switch back to USB.
I am using Roon.
I will try to use Squeezelite feature of Ropieee.

Last edited:
Top Bottom