• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Somewhere here there was concern about the harmful effects of a nearby digital amplifier, but without facts. I plan E30 from above AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S125NC. Is it REALLY worried?..
Given that it's using a Hypex module, and that they appear to take EMI/EMC seriously (see some of their white papers and application notes for examples) I wouldn't expect there to be a problem on that front.

Toku

Major Contributor
Sorry, missed this, it was two pages ago. For analog connection, a good antenna cable CAVEL DG 113 is better in every way. Solder a good RCA, and aesthetics will be added.
When I was working as a professional engineer at a Japanese manufacturer, I often used RG series Teflon coaxial cables for audio signals.
Even now, I often use a thin Teflon coaxial cable of 75Ω for my home audio equipment.

conuss

Given that it's using a Hypex module, and that they appear to take EMI/EMC seriously (see some of their white papers and application notes for examples) I wouldn't expect there to be a problem on that front.
This is good, thanks! It remains only not to hear these farts and that the volume control worked correctly throughout the scale, as a preamp should. Otherwise, you have to embed a passive volume control 10K (( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33015031271.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.fb2f3c001SmTAV&mp=1

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Guys, I don't want to be rude, but can the postings about interconnects being stopped already? I am following this thread because of the E30 DAC. Every time I get an alert now it is about cables only (page after page). Please move this discussion to another thread.

conuss

Guys, I don't want to be rude, but can the postings about interconnects being stopped already? I am following this thread because of the E30 DAC. Every time I get an alert now it is about cables only (page after page). Please move this discussion to another thread.
You do not understand. The DAC does not work without the necessary cables, and the connection methods may vary due to the features of the E30. At the same time, no one and nothing is stopping you and others from asking your question or providing information about the E30.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
You do not understand. The DAC does not work without the necessary cables, and the connection methods may vary due to the features of the E30. At the same time, no one and nothing is stopping you and others from asking your question or providing information about the E30.

All the necessary cables for the e30 to function properly are provided with it. Also I understand this whole interconnect discussion is off topic (because it applies to any DAC in general. Not only the E30).
It is custom on a forum to stay on topic. This topic is about reviewing the E30. Not a general discussion about interconnects. It seems to me you don't understand that.

Edit:
Or maybe there is something lost in translation?

Last edited:

samsa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think he was postulating that the feature could be modified to do so via a firmware update if the engineering effort was performed. Not that it was included in the version posted on toppings website. While possible I don't see it happening, there's nothing defective with it's operation, rather just not the behavior some expect.

Indeed. Since there is no on/off switch, I do "expect" the unit to go into standby mode when there's no music playing. It's not a huge problem that it doesn't; merely an annoyance.

I did a little more experimenting (which involved sacrificing a USB cable). 0V on the power pin is not the signal for the E30 to go to sleep. But +5V on the power pin is the signal for it to wake up. So, as long as the USB port is powered, the E30 will not stay in Standby mode (even if you manually put it there).

aabman

Could someone tell me, if the Coxial input of E30 can accept DoP signal? Thanks.

conuss

All the necessary cables for the e30 to function properly are provided with it. Also I understand this whole interconnect discussion is off topic (because it applies to any DAC in general. Not only the E30).
It is custom on a forum to stay on topic. This topic is about reviewing the E30. Not a general discussion about interconnects. It seems to me you don't understand that.
Other participants know the scope of the discussion as well as you do, and no one is going to expand beyond what has already been discussed. Personally, I welcome if the conversation briefly goes a little bit towards what the E30 is directly related to, it will always be useful when operating it. Don't worry, ask about the E30 or tell us everything you need to know about it.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Can somebody explain to me what the "pop" problem is? I want to use this to feed a power amplifier and will only be using SPDIF and not USB (and if I use USB it wont be for DSD).

conuss

Koeitje
First of all, doesn’t it bother you that the developer present at the forum does not recommend using the E30 directly with a power amplifier? ... but at the same time, I repeat, the E30 on the manufacturer’s website is declared as a pre-amplifier.

Toku

Major Contributor
Can somebody explain to me what the "pop" problem is? I want to use this to feed a power amplifier and will only be using SPDIF and not USB (and if I use USB it wont be for DSD).
Currently, the E30 does not have the problem of POP noise. If you are interested and would like to know more, please read the posts in this forum.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Koeitje
First of all, doesn’t it bother you that the developer present at the forum does not recommend using the E30 directly with a power amplifier? ... but at the same time, I repeat, the E30 on the manufacturer’s website is declared as a pre-amplifier.
@JohnYang1997 was this something you said? Can you comment on that?

For me its a temporary solution for a couple of months while I figure out what DAC I want in my main system.

Toku

Major Contributor
Can a firmware upgrade allow the display to be turned off ?.
The firmware update of Ver1.07 is the update of the XMOS USB communication firmware.
To add the display off function, it is necessary to change the hardware of the IC chip called NUC.
If you request additional functionality to Topping, it may be realized in the next product version.
--------------------------------------
I just told Topping about the addition of the ON / OFF function of the display.

Last edited:
Top Bottom