• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Same results here. I hope that Topping can fix this in firmware. It's pretty annoying, and makes standby mode worthless if the DAC is connected to a computer via USB. For now I just power the E30 off and on manually.

Why you want to shut off your dac while using pc ? No offense i just dont get it. And what happens if it's on. Is it wasting too much electricity ? or the display too bright ?

samsa

Why you want to shut off your dac while using pc ? No offense i just dont get it. And what happens if it's on. Is it wasting too much electricity ? or the display too bright ?

In my case, it's connected to a Raspberry Pi streamer (which stays on 24/7). Why would I want the DAC to be on 24/7? (ATM, that's what it's doing, as I can't be bothered to reach for the remote control.) I'd prefer it to switch into standby mode, when not actually in use.

dpippel

Because if I'm not actively using the DAC to listen to music from my server (which is running 24/7/365) I don't want it on. As samsa mentioned, why would I want the device powered on ALL the time?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
In my case, it's connected to a Raspberry Pi streamer (which stays on 24/7). Why would I want the DAC to be on 24/7? (ATM, that's what it's doing, as I can't be bothered to reach for the remote control.) I'd prefer it to switch into standby mode, when not actually in use.
So, at the risk of disappearing down another OT rabbit hole...why's the Pi on 24/7?

odyo

Because if I'm not actively using the DAC to listen to music from my server (which is running 24/7/365) I don't want it on. As samsa mentioned, why would I want the device powered on ALL the time?
That's fair. I don't use any server etc. I use pure PC so i didn't get the stand by debate. I need E30 to be on whenever my PC on.

samsa

So, at the risk of disappearing down another OT rabbit hole...why's the Pi on 24/7?
  1. To properly turn it off requires logging in via ssh and issuing the 'shutdown' command.
  2. Turning it back on requires reaching behind the device and pulling/re-inserting the power cable (rather inconvenient in my setup, plus wear-and-tear on the micro-USB port, which is only rated for a finite # of insertions/removals).
  3. Each shutdown/bootup cycle does eat into the finite lifetime of the micro-SD card (which will, eventually, fail).
So a combination of inconvenience and hardware lifetime considerations suggest leaving it on.

When idle, the RPi consumes very little power. The E30 also consumes very little power, but less when it is in Standby mode. (N.b.: the remote doesn't shut it off, merely puts it in Standby.)

dpippel

N.b.: the remote doesn't shut it off, merely puts it in Standby.)

Correct. I misspoke in my previous post. The only way to turn the E30 off completely is to unplug it from power.

conuss

I don't quite understand your question.
Because you use the term power amplifier instead of an integrated amplifier with its volume on board. It is quite clear that in the case of a power amplifier, the E30 should be used in Pre mode.

samsa

Because you use the term power amplifier instead of an integrated amplifier with its volume on board. It is quite clear that in the case of a power amplifier, the E30 should be used in Pre mode.

If I were you, I wouldn't criticize @Toku for his English. Just sayin' ...

conuss

If I were you, I wouldn't criticize @Toku for his English. Just sayin' ...
I'm sorry, I took his terminology quite sincerely. Hopefully now it will use the correct terminology power amplifier and integrated amplifier so that it doesn't lead to misunderstandings. We are all here to help each other and move forward.

Hugo9000

conuss

Hugo9000
Once again, Hi-Fi and Hi-End power amplifiers by definition do not have their own built-in volume control. Professional studio power amplifiers can have volume controls channels and other settings. If you are satisfied with this in all respects, then the issue in question is not your problem.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
  1. To properly turn it off requires logging in via ssh and issuing the 'shutdown' command.
  2. Turning it back on requires reaching behind the device and pulling/re-inserting the power cable (rather inconvenient in my setup, plus wear-and-tear on the micro-USB port, which is only rated for a finite # of insertions/removals).
  3. Each shutdown/bootup cycle does eat into the finite lifetime of the micro-SD card (which will, eventually, fail).
So a combination of inconvenience and hardware lifetime considerations suggest leaving it on.

When idle, the RPi consumes very little power. The E30 also consumes very little power, but less when it is in Standby mode. (N.b.: the remote doesn't shut it off, merely puts it in Standby.)
All fixable, although you may not think it's worth the effort. In another thread though!

Toku

Major Contributor
Hugo9000
Once again, Hi-Fi and Hi-End power amplifiers by definition do not have their own built-in volume control. Professional studio power amplifiers can have volume controls channels and other settings. If you are satisfied with this in all respects, then the issue in question is not your problem.
I'm not a Hugo 9000, but
It is common to attach a volume for gain adjustment to the input of a power amplifier for professional use. It is used for various input sources and requires level adjustment every time.
High-end power amplifiers for audiophiles are made for use in combination with preamplifiers. Therefore, the volume is often omitted. When using a power amplifier without input volume as a standalone unit, it is necessary to add a volume unit to the outside or use an audio source that can always adjust the volume as in E30's Pre mode.
The Topping PA3 TP60 and SMSL SA-98E are also small power amplifiers. These also have a volume on input.

conuss

Toku
I have repeatedly cited stated the quality of the E30 on the manufacturer's website functioning as a pre-amp in Pre-mode volume control into the power amplifier! So all arguments about the mandatory additional volume control element from the E30 to the power amplifier(without built into it volume control) require adjustments in the description of the E30! What does Topping TP60 and SMSL SA-98E with their volume controls have to do with this ?!

NgxHS7

Hello. I have just registered to this forum. Thank for providing such great insights into this DAC. I have just purchased one for use with a newly acquired pair of Yamaha HS7s. I live in Sapporo, Japan. The DAC was ordered earlier this week. I plan to use this with my oled tv for movies, tv, and music(nothing major). Obviously, I'll be using this as a preamp direct to the active HS7s. I come from a HiFi background ( marantz sm11 sc11 combo with Jamo d870s and d830s with sacd and vinyl - before I got married and moved to Japan) I'm not looking for perfection, but I am slightly concerned about this "pop" issue when using this DAC as a preamp. I chose the E30 mainly because it has a remote along with the preamp function. Do I need to be concerned with using this DAC for the above mentioned purposes?

parabola

High-end power amplifiers for audiophiles are made for use in combination with preamplifiers. Therefore, the volume is often omitted. When using a power amplifier without input volume as a standalone unit, it is necessary to add a volume unit to the outside or use an audio source that can always adjust the volume as in E30's Pre mode.
Yes, @Toku but it seems this is exactly where the problem lies with E30.
When used in preamp mode and connected to a power amp (one without volume control), due to the way the AK dac chip works, there's an audible pop sound when sample rate changes and volume is adjusted and there's probably nothing that can be done about it. It's seems that all dacs using these chips exhibit this behavior.
This is kind of a deal breaker when you're considering using E30 in exactly this scenario and in my case I'm holding off buying it for now.
My use case would involve Raspberry PI -> E30 -> tube amp. The tube amp does have a potentiometer but for me there's still this unknown about the level of audiability of this pop sound. I guess the only way to answer this querstion is to try it out for myself.
Ignoring the pop-problem it really is looks like the dac I want to have - simple, small form factory, attractively priced, good connectivity etc.
This issue is being somewhat overlooked here and the recommended remedy is to get a preamp in between E30 and a power amp in order to attenuate the pop sound, but the problem with this setup is that you need to buy more gear (preamp). I hope you can see, how the simple solution is not that simple anymore.

Last edited:

Daverz

Major Contributor
I plan to use this with my oled tv for movies, tv, and music(nothing major). Obviously, I'll be using this as a preamp direct to the active HS7s.

For me there's only a pop when the sample rate changes in pre-amp mode. My TV only outputs from the optical output at 48 kHz, so if yours is similar, this is not an issue.

Toku

Major Contributor
Toku
I have repeatedly cited stated the quality of the E30 on the manufacturer's website functioning as a pre-amp in Pre-mode volume control into the power amplifier! So all arguments about the mandatory additional volume control element from the E30 to the power amplifier(without built into it volume control) require adjustments in the description of the E30! What does Topping TP60 and SMSL SA-98E with their volume controls have to do with this ?!
When connected to a power amplifier with a built-in volume, it is common to use one of the two volumes and use the other with a maximum volume of 100%.

Although it is pointed out that the usage instructions are insufficient, products such as E30 are products of the hobby world targeted at audiophiles, and are sold on the assumption that they have some basic knowledge. Therefore, detailed explanations like home appliances are not written in the instruction manual. If you are pointed out to be unkind, you are right. Especially Chinese products are more unfriendly.
If you find it unsatisfactory, please tell the manufacturer to improve it. Even for professional amplifiers, the instruction manual is extremely simple.
The reason is that manufacturers sell their products to professionals.

Last edited:

conuss

When used in preamp mode and connected to a power amp (one without volume control), due to the way the AK dac chip works, there's an audible pop sound when sample rate changes and volume is adjusted and there's probably nothing that can be done about it. It's seems that all dacs using these chips exhibit this behavior.
This is kind of a deal breaker when you're considering using E30 in exactly this scenario and in my case I'm holding off buying it for now.
This issue is being somewhat overlooked here and the recommended remedy is to get a preamp in between E30 and a power amp in order to attenuate the pop sound, but the problem with this setup is that you need to buy more gear (preamp). I hope you can see, how the simple solution is not that simple anymore.
Absolutely right. Or what's the point of volume on the display large size? To keep it all the time at maximumin conjunction with an integrated amplifier? ))
You can buy something, but it is completely impractical. It is reasonable to simply opt out of the purchase in favor of a DAC on ESS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom