• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

threni

Major Contributor
But their website doesn't have any firmware for the E30, only v1.08, and I got there via this forum.
I've searched a lot and can't find v2.10.
What makes you think there's a newer version of the firmware than v1.08? I suspect you've bricked your DAC by trying to write incompatible firmware.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I'm thinking the same thing. @uran0s Are you sure your DAC is an E30 II and not an E30 II lite?

If it's an original E30 (not II) and you flashed it with firmware for either of those two, it'll be bricked now according to the Topping web page.

I'm guessing it will have screwed up the part of the firmware that allows communication via USB. There's probably still a Jtag port on the PCB you can use to program the chip, but that requires both the equipment for doing so and a file with the original firmware.

What's really mysterious to me is that this is even possible. You'd think that the update tools would be able to identify the device and give a clear warning or even stop you completely, if you were trying to flash an incompatible firmware. Sounds like the software is a generic kind designed for general purpose microcontroller flashing. Not something I'd put in the hands of an end user.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
There are three types of E30 series: E30, E30 ll, and E30 ll Lite. The supported FW also differs for each. The FW I keep is

For E30 : FW1.07(20D) FW1.08(20E)
for E30 ll : V1.13, V1.14
for E30 ll Lite : V2.01

There may be a newer version than this, but I don't know about it.

If you mistakenly update the FW of another model, the E30 will stop working forever. If that happens, either keep it as a decoration on your desk or toss it in the trash as hard as you can.
But E30 is immortal. If you pray to God and update the file again with the correct version, you will be able to return to this world.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
If that happens, either keep it as a decoration on your desk or toss it in the trash as hard as you can.

Please don't even joke about that. Either find someone who can program it via JTAG, or send it to Topping so they can do it.

Worst case you'll just have to replace the microcontroller. No biggie.

Toku

Major Contributor
Please don't even joke about that. Either find someone who can program it via JTAG, or send it to Topping so they can do it.

Worst case you'll just have to replace the microcontroller. No biggie.
No, I'm not kidding, this is how I felt when I made the same mistake.

Updating the E30 firmware is a bit complicated!
The reason for this was that a fire at the AKM factory caused the AK4118 for communications to become unusable, and a Cirrus chip was temporarily used in its place.
Please be sure to check that the serial number is compatible before updating the firmware.

The latest firmware version 1.08 of E30 can be downloaded from below.

Attachments

• E30 FW1.08(20E).zip
    187.7 KB · Views: 36

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
No, I'm not kidding, this is how I felt when I made the same mistake

I know, and I respect your emotions.

It just makes majorly depressed when I see people suggesting putting fixable electronics in a landfill :(

uran0s

What makes you think there's a newer version of the firmware than v1.08? I suspect you've bricked your DAC by trying to write incompatible firmware.
Because when I was flashing the E30 dac, it showed v2.10.

My dac is the E30, not the E30 II. The series starts in 2106.

I can connect the dac to my laptop via the usb port, both to listen to music and using the DFU programme to flash it.
It only stopped working with the raspberry PI 4. Whenever I connect it to the raspberry, it switches off completely, not even showing the yellow dot when it's in standby.

I've tried asking the brand for the firmware, but they seem to be on holiday, so I'll have to wait.

MOONnSUN

I am using TOPPING E30 well. (it is E30 not E30 II)

I also ask to TOPPING service team via e-mail.

They said,

"The firmware version is V2.1. And V2.1 is the newest version."

2024-03-28_151438.jpg

MOONnSUN

When was v2.1 released?
I don't know.
But I've never done a firmware update myself.

I asked if my E30's firmware was up to date, and if not, to email me the latest firmware, and was told that it was.

Toku

Major Contributor
When was v2.1 released?
There are two types of Topping E30: an early model and a late model.
The FW differs because the IC chip used in the USB interface of each model is different.
The AK4118 chip was used in the early E30's USB, but due to a fire at AKM's factory, the supply of the IC stopped and production was no longer possible.
Therefore, Topping suddenly changed the design and started selling a model with a new Cirrus logic(?) IC chip. Therefore, the USB FW is a completely different version and is not compatible with each other.
Early models and late models can be distinguished by serial number or FW version.
There is a post about this earlier in the thread.

djigibao

My E30 are v1.08

Clipboard_03-28-2024_01.jpg

Aldoszx

Mine is v1.09
I would like to ask you to make a test. Please tell me if yours E30s shows the correct bitrate for 44.1 PCM when is in pure DAC mode, not preamp !
Thank you.

Last edited:

Aldoszx

Take a look here.
There is a problem with trailing space in Topping name DACs witch can cause some problems under Linux.
So, I've asked Topping support for a fix and they submitted a firmware.
So, even there is not publicly available, the latest firmware for first revision of E30 (with AK4118) is v1.09

The same happened also for D10s and D50s.

Toku

Major Contributor
From the description, it appears that v1.09 is a special version to address issues that only occur to Linux users.
Moreover, v1.09 is not publicly available and seems to be provided individually only to Linux users who have reported problems. Therefore, the officially released FW is v1.08, which is the final and latest version.

Oldson

Forum Donor
just bagged an E30 for £60.
will see how it compares to my Qutest

Top Bottom