• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

jshelbyj

Can anyone recommend an alternative to the E30? I want to replace mine.

I have all my audio equipment on a 12v switched power strip. When the signal from the sonos unit triggers the 12v signal, everything turns on. No stand by power draw, and everything is automated.

Except the E30, when switched on, goes into standby mode and requries a button press to activate, and so is not ideal for this setup. I just checked and the e30 2 has the same behavior per the manual.

gvl

Major Contributor
Perhaps Topping can include a new user setting to control the power on state in the next firmware update ?

MLaranjeiras

I have all my audio equipment on a 12v switched power strip. When the signal from the sonos unit triggers the 12v signal, everything turns on. No stand by power draw, and everything is automated.

Except the E30, when switched on, goes into standby mode and requries a button press to activate, and so is not ideal for this setup. I just checked and the e30 2 has the same behavior per the manual.
Topping E50.

ehabheikal

Soncoz SGD1 is working like a charm in a similar situation.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Perhaps Topping can include a new user setting to control the power on state in the next firmware update ?
The simplest way would be "last state" as the switch-on state.

TabCam

Topping E70 has a 12V trigger. Don't know if that is fast enough for the amplifiers but I would guess so.

MLaranjeiras

A Topping D90SE owner who previously owned a Topping E50 said it wouldn't be worth for me switching from the E50 to the D90SE. The gains would not compensate

Saponetto

E30 also does what you need.
You have to set it by accessing the A-C or A-O options available in the start menu, accessible by keeping pushed the front capacitive button of the E30 during the power-up.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning

You could check out the SMSL SU-1.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My SMSL SU-1 came yesterday and is not functional.
Darn, hope you bought with a local seller, otherwise you might have some trouble.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not with Amazon, already set the return in motion.
Shame, but i hope it doesn't sour the E30 for you. It's a really good device i think, had nothing but a good a time with it.

Saponetto

I still have an E30 MkI, officially as my backup dac but actually running whereas it is called to duty.
Despite its nitpicking about power supply and the limit on spdif I'm fond of it.
It's a little, nimble device with a good heart that knows very well how to tickle my ears.
Currently listening from it.

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
E30 II Lite is out now too
Screenshot-2023-06-27-at-05-13-23-1-Facebook.png

Jarrett

I'll keep my E30. I hope they plan to add the new XMOS chip to an E30 III and go back to a single DAC design to reduce cost. Totally unnecessary at this price.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'll keep my E30. I hope they plan to add the new XMOS chip to an E30 III and go back to a single DAC design to reduce cost. Totally unnecessary at this price.
Just out of curiosity.. what do you hope Topping improves and/or achieve by using a new XMOS chip?

MLaranjeiras

I had a Topping P50 Linear Power Supply together with the Topping D50S DAC back in 2018 and, after do not listen any benefit of using is, I sold then both and bought an Topping E30 DAC. Does somebody use a Linear Power Supply together with the DAC and have some experience to share? https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/398304.html

Top Bottom