• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

RTSwis

That is correct, Killingbeans. When I first connected the 991 to the E30 bearing a 2104 manufacturing date and heard, well, hash, with snippets of music occasionally mixed in, I recalled something about the E30 SPDIF receiver in more recent models not playing nice with the coax output from older CD players, and assumed that was the problem. Just by chance I had an earlier purchased E30 which worked (and as I write is working) just fine with the Rotel output. But both older and newer E30's also worked fine with the cheap Sony DVD player (I cannot tell if it is actually an S3700 or some related model [S370, S3750] because it actually has no model number on it; I suppose I could look it up by S/N or mac address but have not taken the time to do so). The E30 says it is receiving a PCM signal, and I'm not sufficiently well versed to know if that stream contains the control signals to which Toku refers, but it seems to be properly interpreting whatever it is receiving.

As long as I'm here, I have another question, and if it's in the wrong thread please feel free to say so. In the abstract the question is this: over short distances (< 1m), should one in general expect to encounter audible differences between DAC -Amp/Preamp connections using balanced and single-ended outputs from the same device? I ask because the Rotel 991 was bought to replace a (still functioning) RCD-971, and before I introduced the DAC into the system the latter had been connected to the amplifier (Krell KAV 300r) using RCA leads. Because both the 991 and the Krell also have XLR connectors, and the Krell has multiple single-ended inputs, I was able to keep the 971 connected, and then to connect the 991 using *both* single ended and balanced leads. Since both Rotel units used the same remote, I made two copies of a CD, loaded them into the two Rotel CD players, and started the same disc in both units simultaneously. The Krell remote then let me switch among the same source material coming from the 971 with singled ended leads and the 991 using both single ended and balanced connections. Subjectively I was unable to distinguish between the signals coming from the single ended connections from either deck, but the XLR connections produced sound that initially struck me as richer and more detailed. But it was also the case that the volume through the balanced connection was higher, and so I could not really make a fair comparison since I could not switch from unbalanced to XLR while instantaneously compensating for the difference in volume.

It occurs to me that all I may be hearing is the result of a difference between the output levels from the 991's single-ended and XLR outputs, and not due to some qualitative difference in the nature of the signal when transmitted through single-ended and balanced connections. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Toku

Major Contributor
The attached file is a copy from the manual about the COAX audio output settings for your Sony BDP-S3700 and my Sony BDP-S6700.
The initial setting is "AUTO" and it seems that the output mode is automatically switched depending on the device connected to the COAX output. When set to "PCM", the output is fixed to PCM.
I connected E30 / E50 and played a DVD, but both output normally with PCM / 2ch (48kHz).

Attachments

• BDP-S3700a.png
    BDP-S3700a.png
    302.7 KB · Views: 83
  • BDP-S6700a.png
    BDP-S6700a.png
    225.4 KB · Views: 82

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
As long as I'm here, I have another question, and if it's in the wrong thread please feel free to say so. In the abstract the question is this: over short distances (< 1m), should one in general expect to encounter audible differences between DAC -Amp/Preamp connections using balanced and single-ended outputs from the same device?

Not in general, IMO. The main benefit of balanced connections at short distances is immunity to ground loops.

RTSwis

Thanks, Killingbeans. I can't offhand think of any other reason to upgrade from E30 to E50; can you? And thanks, Toku; that's consistent with my experience with E30's before and after the change in the coax input.

RTSwis

Too old to be concerned with anything but the sound. (Running a Krell KAV 300r into Rogers Studio 1s of which I am the original owner will give you some idea just how old.) And unless and until I become desperate for a rabbit hole to go down I am not getting started with headphones and headphone amps. Thanks again. All the best.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anyone checked if the V5.30 driver works on Windows 7?
V5.20.0 (June 28, 2021)
-----------------------------------------------------

* New: support for Windows 10 (21H1)

* New: audio class 1.0: extract channel names from input terminal descriptor iChannelNames field

* New: API version 5.8

* Fix: initialization of auto stream format selection was missing

* Chg: Audio control interface for MIDI is optional

* Chg: Operating systems Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are not longer supported (Microsoft discontinued vendor signing)

* Chg: Documentation

Gradius

New motto (for 5 years at very least): In this life all you need is an E30 (and a good headphone amp).

I went with an E30... waiting for arrive (today, hopefully).

JayGould

I have been using the Topping E30 in combo with an amp for PC for a few days now. But I can't hear any difference in sound quality vs connecting the headphones straight into the motherboard.

Perhaps it is not correctly installed? I installed the drivers and set up Foobar according to Topping's own guide. But no matter what my E30 always shows PCM 0.00 on its screen. Must be something wrong? Here is a picture (I am playing music through it when the picture is taken):

topping.jpg

Gradius

0dB just means max volume.

To hear differences you need a good headphones, like HD650 and also a good hd amp like JDS Atom Labs.

You are using as pre-amp mode, this is why it will only shows volume.

Switch it to DAC mode.

Output mode setting
In the standby state, long press the multifunction touch button for 3 seconds to display the current output mode. Hold pressing, it will switch to another output mode after 1 second. The pre-amplifier mode displays "PRE" and the DAC mode displays "DAC". When you choose the desired mode, let go and the E30 will automatically save the settings and return to standby.

dominikz

Forum Donor
I have been using the Topping E30 in combo with an amp for PC for a few days now. But I can't hear any difference in sound quality vs connecting the headphones straight into the motherboard.
Honestly it is not surprising to me that you find little-to-no audible difference in practice - DACs have in general become pretty transparent devices (for human listeners, at least :)), especially compared to typical transducers.
You may perhaps find this ABX test interesting.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been hearing very faint audible noise in between tracks when playing music via my headphones. I have my E30 plugged into a Sabaj A10h headphone amplifier. The DAC is being fed by a Mac Mini which has a powered Belkin USB hub to which the Dac is plugged into. Additionally, it is also plugged into a 5v wall wart. I have tried to plug the DAC directly into the Mac Mini' USB port but I can still hear the faint audible noise. Could this it be a case of ground loop? My desktop is plugged into a surge protector strip that has 10 plugs, maybe overloaded?

Gradius

^
Thank you. Wow, there are a lot of differences. In fact a lot more than just a swap of receiver chips. There are even quite visible differences to the output stage. No wonder it sounds different to earlier versions. The power supply stage has also severely changed. This new E30 has to be re-reviewed by amir. I'm calling it out! (green=same as before/red=changes in the circuit)
View attachment 147904
For this one, I need photo from the other side of PCB (serial 2104).

I doubt it something is missing.

JayGould

0dB just means max volume.

To hear differences you need a good headphones, like HD650 and also a good hd amp like JDS Atom Labs.

You are using as pre-amp mode, this is why it will only shows volume.

Switch it to DAC mode.

Output mode setting
In the standby state, long press the multifunction touch button for 3 seconds to display the current output mode. Hold pressing, it will switch to another output mode after 1 second. The pre-amplifier mode displays "PRE" and the DAC mode displays "DAC". When you choose the desired mode, let go and the E30 will automatically save the settings and return to standby.

I am testing it now. The sound is better. But, the right ear is now louder than the left (I have confirmed this by putting the headphones on in the opposite direction, and the sound will then be louder in my left ear instead). Is this a common problem with Topping? Did I get a faulty unit?

I'm using an OK setup (Sennheiser HD 599 + Douk U3 amp). Getting a pair of HD 650 on Monday. Excited to hear how they sound.

Last edited:

Gradius

I am testing it now. The sound is better. But, the right ear is now louder than the left (I have confirmed this by putting the headphones on in the opposite direction, and the sound will then be louder in my left ear instead). Is this a common problem with Topping? Did I get a faulty unit?

I'm using an OK setup (Sennheiser HD 599 + Douk U3 amp). Getting a pair of HD 650 on Monday. Excited to hear how they sound.
That's pretty weird. Are you sure your cable is ok? Are you sure your Douk U3 is 100% working fine?

If so, you might got a defective E30 unit.

Wait until monday so you can test it with HD650 to be sure.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'd suspect the amp, not the E30 but anything's possible. More probable if the amp has a volume pot.

Last edited:

JayGould

That's pretty weird. Are you sure your cable is ok? Are you sure your Douk U3 is 100% working fine?

If so, you might got a defective E30 unit.

Wait until monday so you can test it with HD650 to be sure.

I'm not sure about the Douk (amp). I got it at the same time as my E30. I may just buy a new amp, because either way the volume knob on it is really bad (way too big of a jump in volume between each level). So it's not possible to just adjust the volume via the amp, I have to control volume via the Windows interface.

nathanpaulo

hi i just recently purchased an m1 pro macbook and i've been testing the e30 quality on just youtube stuff and my previous windows laptop seems to be sending out better audio quality to the e30 vs what my mac is feeding into the e30. any thoughts or things I should change/install on my mac so it would improve on audio quality?

Top Bottom