• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

ttt

I do not beleive. It sounds scrap :(
Arrived today my long waited E30. Read a lot of good thing about it before decided to buy. Then after plugged in turned to be so disappointed very :(
Dull, shallow deeps, metally sounding highs.
I'm comparing it to to my old FX-AUDIO DAC-X6 modified one (replaced every opamp to AD8620 + big analog PSU) - which sounds lively, deep, air, 3D. Very good compared to E30. But it's old, used and mainly for my Sennheisers next to my PC ... so bought the E30 for Volumio to the room.
Testing witgh NAD316 + Wharefedales...
The E30 is way below the DAC-X6 :( I'm shocked :(
I remember the FX had similar sounds before the opamp update, so decided to replace the OPA1612 to AD8620 (I have many from decades ago when it appeared and ordered original samples), but I'm in trouble.
It needs some special long screwdrivers to dismount the front panel internally to be able to disconnet the cord which connects the main board to the front display.
Could someone please help me how to disassemble the E30?

Thanks!

ttt

Why don’t you try a controlled listening test first, before you do disassembling and grabbing your soldering iron?
Doing it now, swapping the 2 DACs and listening the music. Then decided to give it a try with the new opa.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Doing it now, swapping the 2 DACs and listening the music. Then decided to give it a try with the new opa.
That doesn’t sound very “controlled”. At the very least you’ll need to level match. Better would be to test blind, so let someone else change the DAC’s.

Last edited:

ttt

That doesn’t sound very “controlled”. At the very least you’ll need to level match. Better would be to test blind, so let someone else change the DAC’s.

It's valuable thanks anyway.
Designing and building amplifiers and radio circuits, cd players, headphone amps since 1992 so I know what I hear :) Not always the best measured amp has the best sound dynamics. The difference is way too much, thats why I wrote here. The lack of dynamics in simple word.
I'm disappointed so decided to give it a try to figure out the DAC (shouldn't be, it looks ok have differencial output) or the opamp 20k differencial impadence causing it. The 8620 is very decent opamp has infinite input impedance due to it is JFET compared to the BJT OPAs one. Fould in years, the DAC's I/V differencial output load causing huge dinamics diffence in sound, which is almost unmeasurable with steady signals. So now, I'm curious how it's performs with the JFET one, just asked for help, because of tricky case mount.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
AK4493 has voltage output, not current.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AD8620 is pretty old, like from 2001.

OPA1612:
Supply Voltage: 4.5V ~ 36V
THD+Noise: 0.000015%
Common Mode Rejection Ratio: 110dB to 120dB
Gain: 130dB
Gain Bandwidth Product: 80MHz

---

AD8620:
Supply Voltage: 5V ~ 13V
THD+Noise: 0.0006% ?
Common Mode Rejection Ratio: 110dB
Gain: 105dB
Gain Bandwidth Product: 25MHz

I still didn't performed a critical listen with OPA, but so far, sounds pretty decent.

ttt

AD8620 is pretty old, like from 2001.

OPA1612:
Supply Voltage: 4.5V ~ 36V
THD+Noise: 0.000015%
Common Mode Rejection Ratio: 110dB to 120dB
Gain: 130dB
Gain Bandwidth Product: 80MHz

---

AD8620:
Supply Voltage: 5V ~ 13V
THD+Noise: 0.0006% ?
Common Mode Rejection Ratio: 110dB
Gain: 105dB
Gain Bandwidth Product: 25MHz

I still didn't performed a critical listen with OPA, but so far, sounds pretty decent.
Vs: +-13V
Low input bias current: 10 pA maximum
1612 input differential impedance 20k vs infinite.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Arrived today my long waited E30. Read a lot of good thing about it before decided to buy. Then after plugged in turned to be so disappointed very :(
I'm comparing it to to my old FX-AUDIO DAC-X6 modified one (replaced every opamp to AD8620 + big analog PSU) - which sounds lively, deep, air, 3D. Very good compared to E30. But it's old, used and mainly for my Sennheisers next to my PC ... so bought the E30 for Volumio to the room.
I remember the FX had similar sounds before the opamp update, so decided to replace the OPA1612 to AD8620 (I have many from decades ago when it appeared and ordered original samples), but I'm in trouble.
It needs some special long screwdrivers to dismount the front panel internally to be able to disconnet the cord which connects the main board to the front display.

Thanks!
Sounds like nonsense to be honest, classic audiophile self delusion. That's the point of this site, to stop people like you wasting your time & money.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
the DAC's I/V differencial output load causing huge dinamics diffence in sound, which is almost unmeasurable with steady signals.

Null a music piece recorded once with the original opamp and with the better opamp.
When the null shows stuff related to what you say you actually have proven something.

Success.

Majestyk

Thanks!

My E30 doesn't sound anything like this. In fact, to me it surprisingly sounds better than the RME ADI 2 (V1). And I really preferred that DAC as far as looks and GUI are concerned, so my bias was with the RME and not the E30.

Yes, I know my post is going to generate as much controversy as the one I'm replying to. (Don't care)

Overseas

Major Contributor
I could feel a difference from this DAC vs Yamaha AS 701, I like E30 better. Also, for a small integratwd amp with bad sound, things improved a lot when I used E30.

However, my BIG question for today: is there any reason not to consider and use E30 as a LEGIT PREAMP with a quite powerful (Rotel) power amp? Thanks

solderdude

Grand Contributor
E30 is a DAC with volume control, not a pre-amp.
Ofcourse you can use it as a DAC with volume control and connect it to anything that needs 2V or less to reach full power.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the E30 and the FX-Audio DAC-X6 as well. I use the E30 between a RPi and a Yamaha amp, the FX-Audio is used in my garage now, feeding a car stereo i hooked to a 12v battery topper. Sadly, i missed the time window to send the FX-Audio back.

Here are some measurements:

The E30 and the FX-Audio DAC-X6 don't play in the same ballpark. In fact, they don't even play the same sport.

A poem i wrote just now:

I guess you like what you like.
But i think the FX is utter shite.
You can have it for free,
i prefer the E-thirtee.

I'm shocked too, my dude, but for different reasons.
1640962865777.gif

Changing the OPA out for something else doesn't help when the DACs reference design was murdered.:cool: And it was murdered. Slaughtered even. It's a bloody mess.

Last edited:

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I wonder if there's a person out there that thinks a Topping E30 is worse than a Aimpire AD10

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I could feel a difference from this DAC vs Yamaha AS 701, I like E30 better. Also, for a small integratwd amp with bad sound, things improved a lot when I used E30.
I had the 301, 501, 701 around and have to say i was very impressed actually. I couldn't tell the DAC apart from anything and think the amps are incredible value, peak value is the 501 IMHO.

Also, the variable loudness is a god send, i wish the pricier ones, like the 1000, 1100 or 1200, had it.
1641543257263.gif

However, my BIG question for today: is there any reason not to consider and use E30 as a LEGIT PREAMP with a quite powerful (Rotel) power amp? Thanks
Depends on the max voltage needed by the power amp. It should be around or less than what the E30 is able to deliver. Do you have a specific model in mind?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if there's a person out there that thinks a Topping E30 is worse than a Aimpire AD10
This one seems to be an edge case.

In terms of measurements it seems to be obviously worse, but i guess it would be hard to hear differences. The flaws might actually be below hearing threshold for most people in most cases, in which case one is as good as the other. However, there are edge cases, like using very sensitive IEMs for example, in which case the E30 is clearly the better choice.

If you didn't buy yet, better get the E30.
If you already bought, but don't detect any noise in the background while playing tunes, you are fine.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Hi, I could tell the difference between dacs in 701 vs 803d.

As for E30 preamp, looks like I would need 1.5V RCA.

Top Bottom