• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
hi i just recently purchased an m1 pro macbook and i've been testing the e30 quality on just youtube stuff and my previous windows laptop seems to be sending out better audio quality to the e30 vs what my mac is feeding into the e30. any thoughts or things I should change/install on my mac so it would improve on audio quality?
yt has pretty low audio quality.

Try to download some 96kHz @ 24-bit files in FLAC or some DSD files.

JayGould

hi i just recently purchased an m1 pro macbook and i've been testing the e30 quality on just youtube stuff and my previous windows laptop seems to be sending out better audio quality to the e30 vs what my mac is feeding into the e30. any thoughts or things I should change/install on my mac so it would improve on audio quality?

How are you getting it to work on Mac? I thought they only had drivers for Windows.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure about the Douk (amp). I got it at the same time as my E30. I may just buy a new amp, because either way the volume knob on it is really bad (way too big of a jump in volume between each level). So it's not possible to just adjust the volume via the amp, I have to control volume via the Windows interface.
Btw are you using Wasapi Exclusive or ASIO?

Miska

Audio Company
I was testing E30 today, but this is second Topping DAC where my results don't match with results here. D30Pro wasn't that far, D90SE was in the middle, but this is furthest away.

I only tested few things because I got so much demotivated by the results.

DAC set to Filter 1, DSD filter to the lower frequency, DAC mode. Source is Linux.

ToppingE30-1k-44k1.png

ToppingE30-1k-352k8.png

ToppingE30-1k-705k6.png

ToppingE30-IMD-705k6.png

ToppingE30-1k-DSD256.png
ToppingE30-IMD-DSD256.png

At this point I got too demotivated to continue and gave up.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I was testing E30 today, but this is second Topping DAC where my results don't match with results here. D30Pro wasn't that far, D90SE was in the middle, but this is furthest away.

DAC set to Filter 1, DSD filter to the lower frequency, DAC mode. Source is Linux.

View attachment 187915
View attachment 187916
View attachment 187917
View attachment 187919
View attachment 187920View attachment 187921

Interesting, @JohnYang1997 said this works in 'DSD Direct' mode when in DAC only mode.

Does volume control get disabled? You're sure you're in DAC only mode?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Referring to the 44.1 khz result:

So how do you square this with Amir's results in the review? I think he uses 0 dbFS for the test signal. What results do you get if you drop the test signal to -1 dbFS?

Something is drastically different in your result showing 3rd harmonic of -65 db vs Amir's less than -120 dbFS. What is the output voltage you are getting here vs the 2.145 volts Amir used?

Miska

Audio Company
Does volume control get disabled? You're sure you're in DAC only mode?

According to manual, input rate is shown on the display in DAC mode, and volume in Pre mode. DAC display was showing only input rate, never volume setting. When the device arrived it was set to Pre mode and changed to to DAC mode.

I tested number of PSU arrangements before I settled for the setup with least noise.

I think he uses 0 dbFS for the test signal. What results do you get if you drop the test signal to -1 dbFS?

Above plots are with -3 dBFS input data level. TPDF-dithered 32-bit data.

After this, I swapped in D90SE (once again, after many many times) and played same 1k data, measured from unbalanced output of D90SE (E30 has only unbalanced outputs):
ToppingD90SE-1k-352k8-2.png

Earlier D90SE results with same analyzer are from balanced outputs, except 5, 10 and 100 MHz plots which are from the unbalanced output.

What is the output voltage you are getting here vs the 2.145 volts Amir used?

I don't remember anymore what exact figure I got for -3 dBFS input. Just that it was something pretty normal.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps @amirm can comment on these inconsistencies. I know my E30 sounds flawless-listened to some DSD music on Foobar today through the E30 and it sounded sublime. Al Di Meola never sounded so good.

nathanpaulo

yt has pretty low audio quality.

Try to download some 96kHz @ 24-bit files in FLAC or some DSD files.
no. you are missing the point though. I haven't gotten around importing my flac files on my mac yet. but shouldnt audio quality be identical since the DAC is just translating digital to analog? even from listening to stuff on the browser. but audio quality thru windows > e30 is so far way more clearer and crispier than the mac m1 > e30. I still value general listening on general content consumption equally to serious listening with high quality files.

Moosi

They keep updating the E30. Multiple changes have been made to the layout. It's not only that they changed the receiver chip from AKM to CL, but there's more to it. I owned two E30. One serial 2007 und one with serial 2102. Both are AKM receivers. The 2102 was the last batch produced with the AKM receiver chip. I kept the older 2007 serial and gave the newer one away, because it sounded a little less crisp/a slight bit more dull overall. However the older one sometimes produces popping with Roon+HQplayer if I'm not aware. The newer one was quite in those terms. Yet I kept the 2007 because it sounded just a notch more "open".

Serial 2007: More crisp/open- problems with switching frequencys sometimes resulting in popping.
Serial 2101: Less crisp/open - no problems with switching frequencys sometimes resulting in popping.

Gradius

Uploaded some photos showing the construction and how the front faceplate is attached. Not sure how I’ll get those screws securing the front back in place with the main board in the way. A small amount of silicone adhesive secures the front back in place with out the need for screws. I also touched up some of the soldering for the jacks and through hole capacitors and then put it through the flux remover bath at work (that’s why the label on the board looks worn)

My 2nd E30 came in today. That one will be with my other stereo.
Which tool did you used to open it?

Hex/Allen which size?

Gradius

Ok, opened mine. The right size is 5/64 (1,98mm) aka #2 or #3.

No need to touch the front panel at all, just take the 3 hexes (screws) out, and with a long flat screw driver you can disconnect the flat cable.

Be gentle. Patience is also the key. To assembly back, just use the same process in inverse order. I had no problem in doing so.

Well, first impressions... it had a lot more flux than my D50s on PCB's back. On D50s it was almost clean, on E30 not so much.

Mine's is a 2107. About the sound quality, that might only be true for SPDIF/Toslink, however I don't use it at all, so to me it doesn't makes any difference.

I use Dolby Atmos and let it on Music+Detailed configuration. I'll see how diff from D50s this puppy is now.

About the CS8416:

fritobugger

View attachment 187915
View attachment 187916
View attachment 187917
View attachment 187919
View attachment 187920View attachment 187921

Were all these measurements using USB input? I assume so since you show DSD256.

Miska

Audio Company
Were all these measurements using USB input? I assume so since you show DSD256.

Yes. Generally I only measure through USB unless device doesn't have USB.

Mine is with AK4118 S/PDIF receiver. OPA1612A op-amp. AK4493EQ DAC chip.

Device serial number 2102731184

Last edited:

audiofun

I have been using the Topping E30 in combo with an amp for PC for a few days now. But I can't hear any difference in sound quality vs connecting the headphones straight into the motherboard.

Perhaps it is not correctly installed? I installed the drivers and set up Foobar according to Topping's own guide. But no matter what my E30 always shows PCM 0.00 on its screen. Must be something wrong? Here is a picture (I am playing music through it when the picture is taken):

View attachment 187644

that is expected. Today's computer audio is pretty good.
Most products introduced here only have measurable advantages, not audible ones.

Gradius

Well, there are some differences on audio here and there compared to D50s.

Btw, my E30 unit has firmware v2.10 on it.

AK4118AEQ:

Toku

Major Contributor
If firmware V2.10 is installed, I think the E30 is a CS8416 version model.

Top Bottom