• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

vinha916

I believe they are 5v. I had the same problem with E code using 12v adaptor then tried 5v it's ok.

Lordi

Now about the sound. The bad news. The Topping E30 Do not believe the delight of numerous reviews.
This is far from a Hi-Fi level, and the presence of a modern chip with high performance does not guarantee an audiophile presentation
of the component.
It is enough to put next to it (bringing the volume of the sources to the same level) an old decent CD-player. Or another source you trust to sound.

Timbre Topping sounds rather poor and only preset sets of sounds in some R'n'B track are discarded in an amicable way.
Even simple recordings such as acoustic guitar can understand the limitations of the E30's sonic capabilities.
God knows what its height of the spectrum is. But in the performance of this DAC, everything becomes dead in the blink of an eye.
You don’t worry about the melody at all - it’s not sung, but recited like on square wheels,
without that moving thin layer of gloss that indicates the presence of a Hi-Fi source.

Switching to 24-bit audio does not save the day. All in all, this is all very similar to cheap sources like the Roland UM10 or SMSL Sanksrit Pro-B that I struggled with a few years ago when looking for a desktop DAC. All their numbers seem to be good, but they sound, to my taste, lousy.
https://translate.google.com/transl...it-kombinatsiya-raspberry-pi3-b-i-topping-e30

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The E30 was working fine but I took it out of service recently while waiting for the recalled companion L30 to be replaced. My son wanted to try the DAC on his computer but when he plugged it in, via USB power input, he said nothing happened. That's when he plugged up the 15V power adapter and still nothing happened. He got frustrated so I plugged it into my computer and saw the E-d code. I'm assuming the 15V fried it.

The 15V adapter, most likely was the L30's 15V AC adapter ?
That would be vastly more destructive than shortly connecting a 12V DC adapter, which would only heat up internal regulators as an effect.
The E30 clearly shows '5V DC' below its input. I agree that the barrel plugs are really inviting o plug in other (the wrong) adapters.

Last edited:

nessism

Yes, it was the L30 AC adapter.

So back to the original question: how to open the case. It seems hermitically sealed (kidding.) No joke about how tight it fits together though.

vinha916

I use phone charger it sound great Optical but USB there is gound noise .

I upgraded from D30 to E30 . there are differences in sounds E30. I still like both sounds tho from my ears

nerone

My D30 was replaced by the E30 as I accidentally burned it out by plugging it into a 28V power supply.
The E30 is less sensitive to power supplies than the D30, if it sounds better I don't know.

vinha916

My D30 was replaced by the E30 as I accidentally burned it out by plugging it into a 28V power supply.
The E30 is less sensitive to power supplies than the D30, if it sounds better I don't know.
I think E30 sounds brighter, D30 is more subtle. I upgraded because of the hype, but not regret, I still have both

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it was the L30 AC adapter.

So back to the original question: how to open the case. It seems hermitically sealed (kidding.) No joke about how tight it fits together though.
I believe Amir asked how to get inside one of their small DACs and was told one had to pry the screen off to get inside to take photos of the internals... or I could be mistaken. Did u search you tube for videos on how to get inside?

nessism

I believe Amir asked how to get inside one of their small DACs and was told one had to pry the screen off to get inside to take photos of the internals... or I could be mistaken. Did u search you tube for videos on how to get inside?

I did search but not super hard. I'll look on youtube based on your comment. Fingers crossed...

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know emotive responses to HiFi hardware are discouraged, and I agree entirely that they are valueless as evaluations but I will tell you that since I got an E30... it brings tears to my eyes every single day...AND I would never have even though of obtaining it were it not for this site.

So there you go. The science CAUSED the emotion. All I have is profound thanks.

threni

Major Contributor
OFF TOPIC, ANYONE HAVE L30 , I ADJUST VOLUME, BEGINING SEEM LIKE STUCKS IS IT NORMAL?

Yes, it's off-topic. This thread is about the E30 DAC. Perhaps you can find or start a more suitable thread?

Also, your keyboard appears to be broken.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So ...... how does my E30 survive when 15V AC is plugged into it? It was showing E-1 for at least 3 minutes while troubleshooting it.

Lucky? Or the device has built in protection?

I don't have the schematics so cannot say which exact values it can handle when accidentally applied and for how long.
The E30 is meant to be connected to 5VDC.

Last edited:

carbonated

Just got the E30 and have an issue I can't see mentioned anywhere else. The E30 arrived with the latest firmware v1.08.

When no signal is detected, the E30 goes into standby mode after about a minute (as expected) but just before it goes into standby there is a loud buzz / hum for a split second. The E30 is connected directly into my power amp. This sound occurs when going into standby even when there are no inputs connected to the DAC (I currently run it with an optical connection). I have tried different power adapters as well as running it in DAC and Preamp modes with no success. Has anyone else experienced this issue and is there a solution?

I want to avoid running the E30 24/7 as a workaround.

Last edited:

threni

Major Contributor
Just got the E30 and have an issue I can't see mentioned anywhere else. The E30 arrived with the latest firmware v1.08.

When no signal is detected, the E30 goes into standby mode after about a minute (as expected) but just before it goes into standby there is a loud buzz / hum for a split second. The E30 is connected directly into my power amp. This sound occurs when going into standby even when there are no inputs connected to the DAC (I currently run it with an optical connection). I have tried different power adapters as well as running it in DAC and Preamp modes with no success. Has anyone else experienced this issue and is there a solution?

I get the same tiny pop when I power on/off the E30 I get when I switch sample rates. If you're sure it's not that then no, the buzz/hum doesn't sound normal.

carbonated

I get the same tiny pop when I power on/off the E30 I get when I switch sample rates. If you're sure it's not that then no, the buzz/hum doesn't sound normal.

I definitely don't have that issue or any other noise problems. It only happens when entering standby.

Here is a short video demonstrating the problem:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdipbe1lloo0zcs/IMG_5815.MOV

So this is most likely a broken unit?

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I run mine in preamp mode directly into an Adcom power amp, with power coming from an iphone charger.
I hear a barely audible click when the optically connected tv turns off.

Top Bottom