• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning

vinha916

Just got the E30 and have an issue I can't see mentioned anywhere else. The E30 arrived with the latest firmware v1.08.

When no signal is detected, the E30 goes into standby mode after about a minute (as expected) but just before it goes into standby there is a loud buzz / hum for a split second. The E30 is connected directly into my power amp. This sound occurs when going into standby even when there are no inputs connected to the DAC (I currently run it with an optical connection). I have tried different power adapters as well as running it in DAC and Preamp modes with no success. Has anyone else experienced this issue and is there a solution?

I want to avoid running the E30 24/7 as a workaround.
use phone adaptor and optical , hum will go away. remove usb cable.

carbonated

vinha916

are you using pro-amp?

when i use pro gears procedure as follow
Power on: Dac- amp
Power off - AMP - Dac

nimar

Forum Donor
Thanks for the replies but I'm having a different problem. See the video below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdipbe1lloo0zcs/IMG_5815.MOV

That does sound pretty iffy. Might be unique to your amp or at least the pairing of E30/Amp, worth trying with another output? I have to do what @vinha916 suggests with my D70/active speakers, doesn't buzz but it does pop if I turn the dac off before the speakers.

I've an E30 plugged into a pair of audio engine speakers, didn't notice any buzz when it went into standby, but its standby is a bit of a ... waste of time, it goes from consuming 1.9W on to 1.8W in standby, basically just reducing the time it will take for the OLED to burn in.

I just power it off when not in use.

Plcamp

Last edited:

carbonated

are you using pro-amp?

when i use pro gears procedure as follow
Power on: Dac- amp
Power off - AMP - Dac

That does sound pretty iffy. Might be unique to your amp or at least the pairing of E30/Amp, worth trying with another output? I have to do what @vinha916 suggests with my D70/active speakers, doesn't buzz but it does pop if I turn the dac off before the speakers.

I've an E30 plugged into a pair of audio engine speakers, didn't notice any buzz when it went into standby, but its standby is a bit of a ... waste of time, it goes from consuming 1.9W on to 1.8W in standby, basically just reducing the time it will take for the OLED to burn in.

I just power it off when not in use.

I'm using a Nord Purifi 1ET400A amp.

I haven't had this issue with other DACs before so I'm convinced it's either a problem with the combo (unlikely) or the E30 itself.

carbonated

What happens if you unplug the optical instead of shutting off the device driving it...still get same noise?

If music is playing and I unplug the optical cable the music just stops with no issue. When plugging it back in it comes back with no issue. I generally have no other problems with the audio.

I don't think this is a problem with the source or cable. The buzzing happens when going into standby even without any inputs connected (USB, coax, optical).

Plcamp

If I unplug optical, a minute later I get a slight tick only. Can you try it with a different amp?

but of course I am listening in preamp mode at -35 dB. I kinda think even the tick should not be there.

If I mute the e30 before removing optical...same click.

Last edited:

carbonated

If I unplug optical, a minute later I get a slight tick only. Can you try it with a different amp?

but of course I am listening in preamp mode at -35 dB. I kinda think even the tick should not be there.

If I mute the e30 before removing optical...same click.

Done some testing:
  • There is no problem when the E30 power is switched off or unplugged
  • The sound happens when putting the amp into standby using the remote as well as auto-standby
  • The sound isn't affected by the volume when running in preamp mode (buzz at the same loudness)
  • I can still hear the sound when running through a preamp into the same power amp but it's quieter
  • I can't hear the sound running the output into a different integrated amp (NAD M10)
Not sure where this leaves things but it is definitely a problem caused by the E30 going into standby mode.

Maybe the sound is really noticeable because of the power of the Purifi Eigentakt into 6 ohm speakers?

nimar

Forum Donor
Sounds like you've definitively traced it back to E30, and as no one else is experiencing a similar buzz, I'd say contact who you bought it from for a return.

Grasping at straws here but the only other things wroth trying, If you have the option would be different RCA cables, and trying to eliminate ground loop which might be exasperating the normal switch of click. But really just ask for a return.

semektet

Received my E30 DAC today and tried with A50s. Unfortunately there is no sound output. E30 can receive signal via USB port successfully, can identify the sampling rate without an issue. But when connected to A50s, no sound comes out of the amp. Updated firmware of E30 to v 5.0 as provided by Topping - again no change. Quite disappointing.

Anyone else had the same issue before? Any possible fixes other than a return?

Moosi

For your information the E30 seems unable to reproduce sound on some games (Battlefield4, RDR2, maybe more).
Some games seem to have trouble if you set the sample rate higher than 192khz in the windows settings. Switching back from 384khz to 192khz solved the problem of having no in-game sound output for me.

rymnd6c28

Hi, I'm a newbie here.
The E30 and A50s is my first ever stack, I've searched the thread there have been ppl using preamp mode by mistake. Are volume control and DSD the only difference?
Im slightly concerned if I damaged something by using the preamp mode with an amp.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wanted you guys to know that i have this device now. Can't hear a difference between my old Yamaha CD-S1000 playing SACD or Moode playing DSD files through the E30.

But there is good news, i now have 4 digital devices hooked to my amp (SACD player, USB from RPi4 with Moode, Toslink from TV and SPDIF from AVR) and a remote to switch.

Worth it for me.

Top Bottom