• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The documentation says "Output impedance: <0.1Ω ", which seems like a great match for low impedance headphones based on the 1/8th rule. However, the review says "the amp doesn't like very low impedances" and references clipping/protection. I'm new to these technical details, so forgive my ignorance.

Based on the 1.5 watt max power at 32Ω, is it accurate to say that problems only occur at the highest gain levels, or is there a more general impedance mismatch that could affect performance even at reasonable volumes?

For context, I have Sennheiser HD650 (which should be fine) and HiFiMan HE400i 2020 (35Ω, 93 dB/mW). I'm looking to upgrade from an iFi Nano Black Label (285mW/30Ω). I generally listen at conservative volume (knob at 12:00-1:00 for the 400i on the iFi). However, I've started using PEQ with Roon and would like additional headroom - especially for the HD650. But I want to make sure the DX3 Pro+ would also be a good match for the HE400i planars.
Clipping happens to most amps. It's very normal.

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Two questions:
- Does this have a remote? The original DX3Pro did.
- Where can I buy one in the USA with some confidence in case it fails? My original DX3Pro had the failure that the original model became somewhat known for

Shenzhen Audio is selling it through Amazon.

Gradius

Very nice update...but why continue with the 3.5mm headphone jack instead of 6,5mm? It seems minor, but as a true all-in-one it is what always bothered me about the DX3.
You can always mod it, after the warranty has expired (or before, up to you).

Luke

You can always mod it, after the warranty has expired (or before, up to you).
I contacted Topping about it when the original DX3 was released. They said there wasn’t enough room for a large display and a 1/4" jack, and that a larger display is preferable.

Gradius

I contacted Topping about it when the original DX3 was released. They said there wasn’t enough room for a large display and a 1/4" jack, and that a larger display is preferable.
This is another reason to see inside (PCB).

But in the end, that's just a poor excuse. You can always uses a bigger chassis.

jools

Forum Donor
This just made me register after ages of lurking - hope I'm doing this right...
Even though I strongly doubt I will hear any difference I've been looking at all the DAC reviews for an upgrade to my DX3pro... but it's the perfect size for me (sits just right on my Audiophonics NCore box) and I much prefer the display to the OLED panels on many others. And I want a 3.5mm socket and a volume control as I mainly use it as a pre-amp. And I use USB, optical and bluetooth. So I was starting to feel like I'd be with the DX3pro for ever and even wondering what I'd do when it broke.. (glances nervously at the volume encoder knob).
I've been reading some quite harsh complaints about the DX3pro+ above - even 'just a poor excuse' (chosen as it was still on screen) so I just wanted to balance that by saying that for some people (well, one at least) this is exactly right. @JohnYang1997 Thank you very much.

Lupin

But in the end, that's just a poor excuse. You can always uses a bigger chassis.
A new chassis requires new tooling. Tooling is very expensive, so I understand Topping doesn't want to use/make a new chassis for a product in the price range of the DX3 Pro+

Gradius

A new chassis requires new tooling. Tooling is very expensive, so I understand Topping doesn't want to use/make a new chassis for a product in the price range of the DX3 Pro+
Well, and in what part a mod can't do it?

They already didn't do it anyway... probably to the costs as you said.

About the 3.5mm thing... of course a 1/4" would make it a more professional DAC, specially when it could have had balanced outputs (it's even on their diagram AD, as I posted here before).

It has absolutely nothing to do with "harsh complains" at all, not from my part at least, it's just the true.

Walter

It is OK to wish that some feature was different or included--I have made such comments myself and will do so again. For instance, I wish this had balanced outputs (TRS would be fine). However, when making such comments, we need to keep in mind that had the manufacture done as we wanted, it quite likely would have required a price increase unless it is a high end product.

jackdanyal

So, for Fiio FH1s(~25 Ohms) and Philips Fidelio L2(16 Ohms) which one will be better: DX3 Pro+ or E30 + L30 stack? currently I have Fiio K3s, but it's weak a little bit. Maybe it will be better to suit it with L30? Thanks for any advice.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So, for Fiio FH1s(~25 Ohms) and Philips Fidelio L2(16 Ohms) which one will be better: DX3 Pro+ or E30 + L30 stack? currently I have Fiio K3s, but it's weak a little bit. Maybe it will be better to suit it with L30? Thanks for any advice.
L30 is still recommended for better performance with sensitive IEMs. You can refer to the 50mV SNR chart in the review.

Hxx

About the 3.5mm thing... of course a 1/4" would make it a more professional DAC, specially when it could have had balanced outputs (it's even on their diagram AD, as I posted here before).

It has absolutely nothing to do with "harsh complains" at all, not from my part at least, it's just the true.
sure they could, it will just bump up the price. Lets not forget that the Dx3 pro came out at $220. so a year later this unit is better and cheaper at $200. If I were to speculate, thats probably why EX5 exists.

Reactions: t$$

Darwin

This, HD6XX, and Apple Music for $100 a year are a pretty unbeatable low cost solution with plenty of lossless on Apple Music. Hard to believe what we can get these days for the cost. I ordered one in black to have at my office at work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom