• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmm... I might go for this one (as I sold my D50s) and mod it with 6.3mm (aka 1/4") headphone jack.

Still... a PCB photo would be great.

daredevil20

I have Sundara's right now and I'm thinking of buying the A50s+D50s. Would the DX3 Pro+ be a better option?

kkeretic

I have Sundara's right now and I'm thinking of buying the A50s+D50s. Would the DX3 Pro+ be a better option?
If not better certainly not worse but cheaper. Don't know how Sundaras sound with DX3 Pro+, probably the same as with D50s+A50s, but I assure you they sound soooo nice on the D50s+A50s (balanced) so I got another stack for my other room and declared the end game.

jools

Forum Donor
I have dx3pro which keeps shutting itself off once or sometimes twice a month.
Would dx3pro + be a worthy upgrade? Looks like it has 20bits instead of 16bits of clarity.
I basically only listen via speakers connected to RCA.
Thanks
I don't know if this has anything to do with your situation but when I was swapping amps and speakers back and forth a lot my DX3-Pro used to lock up every now and then - presumably upset by some spikes generated by plugging and unplugging other stuff. Since I've stopped messing around with my other components, the DX3 has been rock solid.

I'm waiting for a DX3-Pro+ to arrive to replace the DX3-Pro and also listen mostly via speakers. When it gets here I am pretty certain that I will be totally unable to hear any difference with the only upgrade being that I will then be sure that it's all I'll ever need... plus I'll have a spare and the new one is going to be black which will match the amp better.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
May I know the reasons why it's ill-advised?

Because, in best case it does absolutely nothing audible (other that stimulating expectation bias and causing placebo effects), and in worst case it makes the circuit oscillate or do other horrible things. You have no way of knowing without verifying it with proper measurement gear.

Op-amp rolling is a marketing gimmick, designed to satisfy the lust for crapshoot tinkering. Nothing more.

Last edited:

ManuMaker

Hello, although it is the first time I write, I read decades ago about audio, I love the point of view of this forum (I am a psychiatrist so the objective, science, the subjective is always in discussion), I am going to buy this dac/amp, has everything I want to start with (I listen years ago on a nad325bee and cd p + psb speakers), my question is the following, what would be the best way to use it:
1 with an ifi filter since I want to use it with the cell phone and it is USB C.
2 With a dac that has an optical output like the d10s topping (I think).
3 With a rapsberry and allodigione.
4 a USB C to USB A adapter of one unknown brand that in my country is 20 usd.
Thank you very much and congratulations on the forum and on the science.
P.D: English is not my natural language, so sorry for the "horrors" of spelling.
P.D2: im from argentina so everything is expensive.
P.D3: this years im listen a lot o SOFT MACHINE, zappa, charles mingus, ect.
P.D4: got a superluxx 688b, sennheiser cx300, hd202, hd280pro, px100 and i will buy the koss kph30i.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
1 with an ifi filter since I want to use it with the cell phone and it is USB C.

No need for galvanic isolation when using a cell phone, since battery powered devices can't cause ground loops. And the DX3 Pro+ will most likely do filtering perfectly fine without the iFi.

4 a USB C to USB A adapter of one unknown brand that in my country is 20 usd.

I would just look for a cable with USB-C in one end and USB-B male in the other?

EDIT: Brain fart! You'll need a USB OTG cable, if you want to use it with an Android phone, and a camera adapter for Apple.

Last edited:

reg66

No need for galvanic isolation when using a cell phone, since battery powered devices can't cause ground loops. And the DX3 Pro+ will most likely do filtering perfectly fine without the iFi.

I would just look for a cable with USB-C in one end and USB-B male in the other?

EDIT: Brain fart! You'll need a USB OTG cable, if you want to use it with an Android phone, and a camera adapter for Apple.
You were right the first time! I've used USB C to B, without OTG adapter, and all works fine to DAC's example. Although, I do use the paid for app USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) which uses it's own drivers for USB devices. Haven't tried it with other players and Android drivers. app here

Last edited:

ManuMaker

EDIT: Brain fart! You'll need a USB OTG cable, if you want to use it wThank you very much for the answer, I am going to buy that cable, does it have to be usb 3.0, 3.1? does it have to be as short as possible?ith an Android phone, and a camera adapter for Apple.

Thank you very much for the answer!!!!!

ManuMaker

You were right the first time! I've used USB C to B, without OTG adapter, and all works fine to DAC's example. Although I do use the paid for app USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) which uses it's own drivers for USB devices. Haven't tried it with other players and Android drivers. app here
Thank you very much for the answer, I am going to buy that cable, does it have to be usb 3.0, 3.1? does it have to be as short as possible?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
does it have to be usb 3.0, 3.1?

5Gb/s vs 10Gb/s, so not a concern. Unless some 1.5MHz/64bit or even crazier nonsense is suddenly introduced, and you want to go down that particular rabbit hole.

does it have to be as short as possible?

No. Not unless your house is an absurd EMI nightmare ;)

ManuMaker

If someone knows a place to buy it from Germany, please tell me, Amazon tells me that they do not send it there. Greetings!

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you very much for the answer, I am going to buy that cable, does it have to be usb 3.0, 3.1? does it have to be as short as possible?
From what I understand digital cables are quite resistant to emi interference. The only cable interference I have heard VERY audibly was a crappy microphone cable carrying an analogue signal that has yet to be pre-amplified (so the interference was heard after double amplification). Audioblast starquad mic cables which I eventually replaced it with exhibited no such issue regardless of length though, so I daresay for your use case the length would absolutely not matter with regards to interference. It might matter above lengths of 2-3m if your device is drawing power through it due to the effects of resistance, however

spiritofjerry

I hope it has a sub out. Is it too much to ask for bass crossover management in an integrated amp like this ? There was a thread here at ASR about the lack of such feature in integrated amps.
I'm looking for a Class D with a sub out, optical and RCA in, and a remote. It doesn't need to be incredibly powerful, just enough for some bookshelves, but it needs to be clean and without a high noise floor. Not sure if that's asking for too much, but that's what I need. The SMSL SA300 is awfully close, but it doesn't have optical.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Top Bottom