• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

JediMa

Technically yes, but the difference is not audible.
In what way? Considering that I'm thnking to upgrade my Atom - D50S setup, for better features, this would be the way? I'm trying also to figure if DX3 pro + is better than FiiO K7 of which I like the balanced port

staticV3

Master Contributor
In what way?
The DX3Pro+ is a better DAC than the D50s (less noise, distortion, jitter), but the D50s is already good enough to sound 100% transparent to the human ear. So the improvements of the DX3Pro+ are purely of academic nature.

Considering that I'm thnking to upgrade my Atom - D50S setup, for better features, this would be the way?
The DX3Pro+ would be a way, not necessarily the way.

I'm trying also to figure if DX3 pro + is better than FiiO K7 of which I like the balanced port
The main contenders for AIOs around $200 are:
-Topping DX3Pro+
-FiiO K7
-SMSL C200
-iFi Zen DAC V2

All of them will sound about the same, so it's mostly about the featureset:
Topping DX3Pro+
FiiO K7
SMSL C200
iFi Zen DAC V2
Headphone out​
SE​
SE+Bal​
SE​
SE+Bal​
Line out​
SE​
SE​
SE+Bal​
SE+Bal​
Line in​
✕​
✓​
✕​
✕​
Display​
✓​
✕​
✓​
✕​
Bluetooth​
✓​
✕​
✓​
✕​
Remote​
✓​
✕​
✓​
✕​

Edit: Some other AIOs around that price point are SMSL D12, Loxjie D20, Schiit Hel 2E.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
All of them will sound the same, so it's mostly about the featureset:
Topping DX3Pro+
FiiO K7
SMSL C200
Headphone out​
SE​
SE+Bal​
SE​
Line out​
SE​
SE​
SE+Bal​
Line in​
✕​
✓​
✕​
Display​
✓​
✕​
✓​
Bluetooth​
✓​
✕​
✓​
Remote​
✓​
✕​
✓​

Edit: Some other AIOs around that price point are SMSL D12, Loxjie D20, Schiit Hel 2E, iFi Zen DAC V2.
Excellent comparisons/info~

JediMa

The DX3Pro+ is a better DAC than the D50s (less noise, distortion, jitter), but the D50s is already good enough to sound 100% transparent to the human ear. So the improvements of the DX3Pro+ are purely of academic nature.

-Topping DX3Pro+
-FiiO K7
-SMSL C200
-iFi Zen DAC V2

Topping DX3Pro+
FiiO K7
SMSL C200
iFi Zen DAC V2
Headphone out​
SE​
SE+Bal​
SE​
SE+Bal​
Line out​
SE​
SE​
SE+Bal​
SE+Bal​
Line in​
✕​
✓​
✕​
✕​
Display​
✓​
✕​
✓​
✕​
Bluetooth​
✓​
✕​
✓​
✕​
Remote​
✓​
✕​
✓​
✕​

Edit: Some other AIOs around that price point are SMSL D12, Loxjie D20, Schiit Hel 2E.
OUTSTANDING reply ! Thank you so much! It's not so easy to pick any . SMSL C200 should have SE+Bal too. SMSL sounds like a great option but I've read that's not so powerful

Prices here in italy:
Topping DX3Pro + 199 euros
Fiio K7 229 euros
SMSL C200 : 175 euros
iFi Zen DAC V2 : I found just the dac and not amp dac but I'm a noob..

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
iFi Zen DAC V2 : is DAC only not dac amp
71wLOkJfdxS._SL1500_.png
it's a DAC+Amp.

JediMa

staticV3

Master Contributor
as I stated .. I'm a noob.. Well considering power, features, sinad where would you put your money in your list?
C200 probably.
Integrated PSU is nice, UI is supposedly snappy, and I'd appreciate the BT input and Bal Line out for long cable runs. Remote also appreciated.
As for Bal HP out, what matters to me is not whether it's SE or Bal, but how much power it can output.

JediMa

C200 probably.
Integrated PSU is nice, UI is supposedly snappy, and I'd appreciate the BT input and Bal Line out for long cable runs. Remote also appreciated.
As for Bal HP out, what matters to me is not whether it's SE or Bal, but how much power it can output.
And it was as timed offer on Amazon. Well mate thanks a lot you really helped me

JediMa

I got today the C200 first impressions are very good. It has a sound that I like much more than Topping D50s, so DAC wise is truly excellent. Amp wise has a lot of power but little less than ATOM.

Grewenth

Hey, sorry to barge in the thread with my dumb question, but I got my Topping DX 3 Pro+ a while ago and I noticed some peculiar behaviour without USB attached while visiting the family over the Easter holidays. I usually run the DAC with USB and optical at my apartment so I didn't notice similar behaviour there.

Namely, with the Sony WH-1000XM4s connected while the headphone's own DAC is turned on (generally recommended even for wired listening), there's a constant hum no matter the source or volume. I'm only using these cans for wired listening since I don't want to carry even more extra luggage, and I'm avoiding IEMs for a while. I'm guessing USB connection (or even touching the device) grounds it making the humming disappear. I don't have any sensitive IEMs to test if the humming if present with them for a week+.

Should I be concerned of this behaviour and I wonder what explains it?

bassboy

USB is not isolated. It has a common ground, and that allows a ground loop to form between PC to Dac to AMP (expecially if the amp is in a powered speaker)
Hi Tony. I need to use RCA's to my tube integrated. Will I experience the same ground loop?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Tony. I need to use RCA's to my tube integrated. Will I experience the same ground loop?
Impossible to say.

First depending on how your equpiment is grounded, there may or may not be a physical electrical loop formed. Then even if there is a loop formed, is there a noise source that couples into it of sufficient magnitude to be audible.

Start with a connection diagram of your system - how each component is connected together, how each is connected to the mains supply - and is the mains supply for a component connected to the mains ground.

Then - bearing in mind all equipment grounded to the mains will have all their mains grounds connected together by the wiring in the walls, you can see if there will be a ground loop - especially one that connects through one of your RCA analogue connections.

dan26

-Topping DX3Pro+
-FiiO K7
-SMSL C200
-iFi Zen DAC V2

Topping DX3Pro+
FiiO K7
SMSL C200
iFi Zen DAC V2
Headphone out​
SE​
SE+Bal​
SE​
SE+Bal​
Line out​
SE​
SE​
SE+Bal​
SE+Bal​
Line in​
✕​
✓​
✕​
✕​
Display​
✓​
✕​
✓​
✕​
Bluetooth​
✓​
✕​
✓​
✕​
Remote​
✓​
✕​
✓​
✕​

I'm just getting into audio. Are all of these units transparent? It confuses me when people talk about how much the sound of their headphones changes in different setups. I just want my gear to be transparent in their default setting.

bassboy

Thank you all very much. My Topping DX3-Pro+ will be here tomorrow, and I found a nice American made active cable for $11.00 just to be sure.
Impossible to say.

First depending on how your equpiment is grounded, there may or may not be a physical electrical loop formed. Then even if there is a loop formed, is there a noise source that couples into it of sufficient magnitude to be audible.

Start with a connection diagram of your system - how each component is connected together, how each is connected to the mains supply - and is the mains supply for a component connected to the mains ground.

Then - bearing in mind all equipment grounded to the mains will have all their mains grounds connected together by the wiring in the walls, you can see if there will be a ground loop - especially one that connects through one of your RCA analogue connections.
All of my equipment is connected to a Panamax M5300-PM power conditioner and surge protector, and are grounded to it. However, my tube integrated does not have a ground connection. Figures, huh?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you all very much. My Topping DX3-Pro+ will be here tomorrow, and I found a nice American made active cable for $11.00 just to be sure.

All of my equipment is connected to a Panamax M5300-PM power conditioner and surge protector, and are grounded to it. However, my tube integrated does not have a ground connection. Figures, huh?
So all grounds are connected at the power conditioner. Are there any loops in your system that are part made by analogue interconnect.

bassboy

TT goes to an all analog phono stage using RCA outs, and from there to my tube integrated using RCA ins. What do you think?

jei

Forum Donor
DX3 Pro+ with custom printed under table mounts. Used E30/L30 template from thingverse and scaled to 106,2%. PETG material. All good.

Attachments

• signal-2023-05-11-184213_003.jpeg
    signal-2023-05-11-184213_003.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 166
  • signal-2023-05-11-184213_002.jpeg
    signal-2023-05-11-184213_002.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 164
Top Bottom