• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This new DX3 Pro Plus (Topping, you need to think of simpler names, really :facepalm:) looks amazing, as usual.
Performance looks great. I'm only disappointed by the 3.5mm headphone output. Here's why.

With my E30/L30 stack, I can insert a 3.5 to 6.35mm adapter into the L30 output, and leave it there permanently.
Then I only have to plug/unplug my headphones on the 3.5mm side, without ever unplugging the adapter.
Which means that I'm not risking any plugging/unplugging issues with the L30 itself in the long run. ;)

IMG_20210627_131412.jpg

(don't mind the second L30 in this picture, it was only there for testing purposes at the time)

Attachments

• IMG_20210627_131412.jpg
    IMG_20210627_131412.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 227

Thumpthump

New to dac/amp and are just about to order the Topping Dx3 Pro Plus as it seems on paper/price to match my needs but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything as I have only owned a home theater receiver before.

I'm going to be using Sennheiser hd 58x jubilee with a pc(music/games) through usb and lg cx oled tv(plex film) through optical. I want to be able to easily switch inputs and adjust volume for each device.

Did I miss anything anything that would make this combo with the dx pro+ not compatible?
thanks!

jools

Forum Donor
New to dac/amp and are just about to order the Topping Dx3 Pro Plus as it seems on paper/price to match my needs but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything as I have only owned a home theater receiver before.

I'm going to be using Sennheiser hd 58x jubilee with a pc(music/games) through usb and lg cx oled tv(plex film) through optical. I want to be able to easily switch inputs and adjust volume for each device.

Did I miss anything anything that would make this combo with the dx pro+ not compatible?
thanks!
I'm using the V2 version of the DX3-Pro and waiting for the Pro+ to arrive and I also connect to a PC via USB, TV via optical and my phone via Bluetooth. The DX3-Pro handles all that very well and the remote control is intuitive making it very easy to use. The Pro+ should be almost exactly the same although now I believe it has separate volume levels for headphone and line out which is even better. If you read back through this thread, some people have raised a concern that the Pro+ uses a different receiver chip for the SPDIF which could possibly cause an issue with some TVs and CD players but even if this is the case it is likely to only be with a few older models. If you're worried then you could wait until they start arriving - there seems to be a general story of retailers waiting for stock which is due in the next few days.

MartinEighty8

A question regarding this:
Topping DX3 Pro+ Measurements Headphone Power vs Load USB DAC Bluetooth Stereo.png

Does this apply only to the headphone port or also the line out at the back? And if so, what affect (if any) would this have on connecting a stereo amp to the line out to use the DX3 Pro+ as a preamp?

jools

Forum Donor
A question regarding this:
View attachment 162387
Does this apply only to the headphone port or also the line out at the back? And if so, what affect (if any) would this have on connecting a stereo amp to the line out to use the DX3 Pro+ as a preamp?
This is just for the headphone output - showing how it reacts to various headphone impedances. For performance with a speaker amplifier, look at the dashboard on page 1 - the first results just below the photo of the unit.

dojima

Seems there are a lot of concerns about the performance of this device with low impedance headphones. Would be nice if someone with the requisite knowledge would clarify in detail exactly what is meant by this product not having "infinite capability" as far as those types of headphones are concerned. Asking for myself as well. From what I can tell, it just means that the DX3Pro+ will get plenty loud, but perhaps not as loud as something else? Electrical engineering isn't my specialty, so explaining it in a way that any layman could understand would go a long way. Bonus points for describing exactly why this amp isn't as capable in this regard. Thanks.

Thumpthump

I'm using the V2 version of the DX3-Pro and waiting for the Pro+ to arrive and I also connect to a PC via USB, TV via optical and my phone via Bluetooth. The DX3-Pro handles all that very well and the remote control is intuitive making it very easy to use. The Pro+ should be almost exactly the same although now I believe it has separate volume levels for headphone and line out which is even better. If you read back through this thread, some people have raised a concern that the Pro+ uses a different receiver chip for the SPDIF which could possibly cause an issue with some TVs and CD players but even if this is the case it is likely to only be with a few older models. If you're worried then you could wait until they start arriving - there seems to be a general story of retailers waiting for stock which is due in the next few days.
Thanks for the info, will wait alittle longer on the reports.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
From what I can tell, it just means that the DX3Pro+ will get plenty loud, but perhaps not as loud as something else?

That would be my guess too.

Topping had a lot of problems with the first two hardware revisions where people would fry the headphone output, and in some cases even their headphones(?). It seems that this revision includes a protection circuit that kicks in to avoid catastrophic failure when pushing the output too far.

How loud it can get before that happens will probably depend on both the impedance and the sentitivity of the headphones.

Reactions: JRS

Dxnc

From what I can tell, it just means that the DX3Pro+ will get plenty loud, but perhaps not as loud as something else?

These were my assumptions: measurements prior to clipping are excellent, so if it can output 120db prior to clipping I will get the amp's best results with plenty of headroom for dynamic range peaks and no impedance mismatch issues.

This amp appears to clip at around 7 volts and 1.5 watts at 32 ohms. For my lowest impedance headphones (35 ohm HE400i 2020), apparently I only need 4.19 volts and 502 milliwatts to reach 120db.

So I ordered without hesitation, and should get it soon since it's currently at a delivery facility in my city. Hopefully the assumptions above are accurate. If not, I'd really appreciate any additional insight.

Dxnc

My order from Apos arrived yesterday. There was an initial inventory delay, but it shipped on the revised date provided and arrived very quickly given the current state of international shipping. Very good ordering experience overall.

I haven't owned many headphone amps for comparison, but it sounds great so far. I feel more comfortable with EQ now that I have extra headroom vs. the iFi Nano BL (which served me very well for almost 4 years). Seems like the perfect combo dac/amp for my needs, and a lot less expensive than the iFi Micro Signature that I was eyeing longingly.

Question: is there a way to display the current bitrate via remote or knob button? It does briefly show when it changes, but it would be nice to check on-demand sometimes.

Philong

Are they really upgraded? Is it worth to upgrade from Dx3 pro v2 to pro+?

jools

Forum Donor
Are they really upgraded? Is it worth to upgrade from Dx3 pro v2 to pro+?
The pro+ measures better but I'm not expecting to be able to hear any difference. It's worth it to me to not hear any difference and know that it's all the DAC I'll ever need so I can stop wondering if I need a better one. It might also be worth it if you have demanding headphones.

zombiebrains2

Seems Topping don't want to reveal what dir chip is in this..does anyone know what spdif receiver is in this new + version?
I need a functioning spdif input not the hit n miss chip that found it's way into the updated E30 and other Topping dacs.
What is a similar priced alternative dac with spdif inputs and Ldac bluetooth?

Bleib

Major Contributor
So it clips at 50 ohm, is it safe to say that it also does so @ 55 ohm?
How easily does it clip at these ohm-levels?

Last edited:

Thumpthump

Any reason not to order direct(website) or from Shenshen audio amazon? not as many options for shipping to Australia.

ManuMaker

Greetings to the community, it has been more than two weeks since I bought it through amazon and from that moment until now (two weeks) it did not have any type of movement, it had to arrive on November 6, I doubt it very much, what other option to buy? ? loxjie d30 v2? Thank you!

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Greetings to the community, it has been more than two weeks since I bought it through amazon and from that moment until now (two weeks) it did not have any type of movement, it had to arrive on November 6, I doubt it very much, what other option to buy? ? loxjie d30 v2? Thank you!
I'm going by my experience with Amazon U.S., but that said, you should be safe with Amazon, in my opinion. Are you saying it hasn't shipped yet?

Top Bottom