• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe if Topping put resistors in series with the line driver ouputs like proper manufacturers, they wouldn't have to post warnings about shorting using a TS 1/4".

Or spend some dollars and put a few relays in line along with a short circuit detection circuit.
I blame the alphabet and the Language barrier. They couldn’t read the 40s-50s schematics at the time ;)

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nope. Unbalanced would have been cheaper but at the expense of some specs.
Maybe my post wasn't clear enough. I meant that 'balanced only' was cheaper compared to 'balanced + unbalanced'. 8 connectors instead of 16, hence a bit cheaper.

As for the specs, like I said, they're beyond human hearing anyway. Nowadays most decent DACs, balanced or unbalanced, reach 115-120 dB SINAD (plus other measurements), which ultimately is ridiculously transparent for our ears.

radeon

I just ordered one of these. Is there anyone in this thread who has successfully replaced their home theater preamp with one of these? I went back several pages and found many people who have future plans of building a system like this, but not yet many success stories. Especially when it comes to decoding TrueHD/Atmos/DTS.

There seems to be a few software options now, from jriver to the Dolby Reference Player and other hacky solutions to decode into individual PCM tracks that this DAC can decode into balanced analog. Anyone have success with this? I can do the preamp volume control later down the line after decode, at the dsp level.

Sokel

Master Contributor
That has nothing to do with what I said. I’m talking about circuit you are referring to the connector. Obviously a balanced TRS connector should be inserted to the Topping DAC’s output. That’s a given. However, you can wire that balanced connector output to feed an unbalanced input. This is not rocket science and it’s been done since the 50s. Sleve to sleeve, tip to tip and ring left unconnected.
Oh,ok,you mean (-) unconnected so it doesn't short,got it.

Hattrick

I am considering a AVR for multi-channel audio for both music and Video audio would this be a better performer than DACS in AVR's like Arcam, Anthem, or Marantz? The reason I ask is I found a excellent multi-channel tube pre I am considering getting and this DAC would work perfect with this Tube Pre (Decware)

himey

I know. And what happens when you connect it to an unbalanced equipment using any type of balanced > unbalanced cable or adapter? I'm curious.

Not for stereo music of course: for movies, and more generally for any kind of multichannel audio requiring a center channel.
My full range center channel sits in storage, and I don't miss it. I simply mix the center into the mains for multichannel music. I don't care about movies. Movies isn't my thing.

himey

I just ordered one of these. Is there anyone in this thread who has successfully replaced their home theater preamp with one of these? I went back several pages and found many people who have future plans of building a system like this, but not yet many success stories. Especially when it comes to decoding TrueHD/Atmos/DTS.

There seems to be a few software options now, from jriver to the Dolby Reference Player and other hacky solutions to decode into individual PCM tracks that this DAC can decode into balanced analog. Anyone have success with this? I can do the preamp volume control later down the line after decode, at the dsp level.
Good luck mixing this preamp, Atmos and video together.

wjp007

That was my quest and it failed horribly.
Good luck mixing this preamp, Atmos and video together.
If someone does figure this out please post here. I wasn’t satisfied with mixing down the center channel. I was using the voicemeeter 8x8 matrix app. Just didnt sound as good as my AVR.

himey

I wasn’t satisfied with mixing down the center channel. I was using the voicemeeter 8x8 matrix app. Just didnt sound as good as my AVR.
For 5.1/7.1 I usually use my Oppo (HDMI INPUT) to downmix, although jRiver and Foobar using DSP works well. For Atmos, I decode the Atmos, then use Audacity to downmix the file, and output as 4.0.4 FLAC.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The reason I ask is I found a excellent multi-channel tube pre I am considering getting and this DAC would work perfect with this Tube Pre (Decware)
Not perfectly.
1. The DM7 has only balanced outputs and the Decware has only unbalanced inputs.
2. Why would you sully the clean outputs of the DAC with a noisy tube preamp?

radeon

For 5.1/7.1 I usually use my Oppo (HDMI INPUT) to downmix, although jRiver and Foobar using DSP works well. For Atmos, I decode the Atmos, then use Audacity to downmix the file, and output as 4.0.4 FLAC.
How do you decode the atmos?

radeon

This has only worked for me for audio. I can take an MKV, use MMH to extract the atmos, and then play it back in DRP. But then the video is gone. How can i sync it back up with video?

I guess there is no way to play back MKV directly?

himey

This has only worked for me for audio. I can take an MKV, use MMH to extract the atmos, and then play it back in DRP. But then the video is gone. How can i sync it back up with video?

I guess there is no way to play back MKV directly?
Sorry. I am just into Atmos music. I haven't tried muxing audio and video.

dartinbout

I can't believe we are doing this again.
"I want a pony, I want a pony, I want a pony, I want a pony, I want a pony, I want a pony, I want a pony, I want a pony, I want a pony, I want a pony, I want a pony, I want a pony, I want a pony, What I don't want to do is carefully read the specs and the many threads in the forums related to this unique piece of kit" We will no doubt be reading many "pony" requests for an infinite number of turns around the sun.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
What noise?
Well, it's self-reported SNR is significantly higher than the Topping. More significantly, I see these two products as antithetical.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I found a excellent multi-channel tube pre I am considering getting and this DAC would work perfect with this Tube Pre (Decware)
If you are fond of tubes, then you might as well get a tube DAC. Together, those two great honey traps products would cumulate their distortions qualities, achieve a terrible terrifying terrific SNR and produce a sound that while not being Hi-Fi in any way would possibly be more to your liking.

To top if off, you definitely don't need to invest in some snake-oil power and interconnect cables (not to forget the USB one, we all know how digital signals can not be affected by the slightest perturbations), and a solid stand that will minimize the imaginary vibrations from the tubes that could in no way affect the integrity of the already degraded signal.

Sure, that may cost a little extra money. But what's the price of peace of mind for the unaware discerning victim connoisseur? :p

Top Bottom