• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DM7 8-Channel DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 52 16.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 244 76.0%

• Total voters

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I see, I will ask Topping about that.

Not sure why they not designed devices with such capability, it’s obvious feature to use.
Supporting balanced and unbalanced connections seamlessly from the same output requires a cross-coupled circuit. Many balanced audio devices use it, in particular professional devices, but many don't. It requires an additional op-amp, which is more expensive and increases distortion.

AudioKC

Supporting balanced and unbalanced connections seamlessly from the same output requires a cross-coupled circuit. Many balanced audio devices use it, in particular professional devices, but many don't. It requires an additional op-amp, which is more expensive and increases distortion.

Thanks, so another way to convert Balanced to Unbalanced would be using Stereo TRS to RCA cable? For example that one, to treat Ground and + as a signal for Sub

wjp007

Thanks, so another way to convert Balanced to Unbalanced would be using Stereo TRS to RCA cable? For example that one, to treat Ground and + as a signal for Sub

That's basically what I tried but I had a hum in the subwoofer that I couldn't get rid of. I think it really depends on your setup.

AudioKC

That's basically what I tried but I had a hum in the subwoofer that I couldn't get rid of. I think it really depends on your setup.

Used stereo TRS to RCA, connected one RCA to sub (LFE), works fine. I think I will run with this setup, instead of shorting - with ground.

No ground noise or hum. But I still got pop sound when DAC is turning off (very loud pop, shaking the whole room), have to turn off sub first...

himey

Is anyone using an 8 channel preamp with this device, or is everyone just using the built in preamp?

Jose Hidalgo

Hi all. I'm happy to see Topping go into multichannel DACs. :)
8 channel balanced is too much for me, but I wonder if a 4 channel version (balanced or unbalanced) could be in the works ?

A 4 channel DAC for about half the price would be perfect for me. I've always wanted a 4 channel DAC for dual headphone listening sessions. Today I manage with two separate stereo DACs, but a 4 channel DAC would be the icing on the cake.

wjp007

Hi all. I'm happy to see Topping go into multichannel DACs. :)
8 channel balanced is too much for me, but I wonder if a 4 channel version (balanced or unbalanced) could be in the works ?

A 4 channel DAC for about half the price would be perfect for me. I've always wanted a 4 channel DAC for dual headphone listening sessions. Today I manage with two separate stereo DACs, but a 4 channel DAC would be the icing on the cake.
Yes or a six channel dac with at least one channel having an unbalanced output for a sub. That would be my ideal product. For movies, IMHO an AVR is really going to be the best solution. My quest was for a multichannel music system using only a DAC and power AMPs. Unfortunately the lack of an unbalanced output on the DM7 was a deal breaker. Yes I tried all the balanced to unbalanced cable ideas. It just never worked for me. I've moved back to my Denon x3700 but using an external power amp. It solved too many problems I had. Like a sub with only unbalanced input. Also I don't have a center channel speaker. AVRs do a good job of mixing down the center channel to the left and right speaker.

Jose Hidalgo

Yes I tried all the balanced to unbalanced cable ideas. It just never worked for me.
What do you mean by that? Balanced vs. unbalanced is an old story. There are topics everywhere, even on ASR (including this one by myself), and AFAIK the only real (as in "scientifically measurable") thing that balanced can bring is more available power. The other claims are questionable and -if real- beyond human hearing abilities anyway.
PS : you really should get a center channel speaker. ;)

wjp007

What do you mean by that? Balanced vs. unbalanced is an old story. There are topics everywhere, even on ASR (including this one by myself), and AFAIK the only real (as in "scientifically measurable") thing that balanced can bring is more available power. The other claims are questionable and -if real- beyond human hearing abilities anyway.
PS : you really should get a center channel speaker. ;)
The Topping DM7 only has balanced outputs. Not my choice, but just how it was made.

Unfortunately, my listening room is also my office. I would have to put the center speaker right where I sit on my deck which would be a pain to move when I'm working. Even with a center channel the DM7 gives me a problem since my sub can only take unbalanced inputs. I tried all kinds of cables and converters, but all seemed to have some kind of compromise.

himey

The Topping DM7 only has balanced outputs. Not my choice, but just how it was made.

Unfortunately, my listening room is also my office. I would have to put the center speaker right where I sit on my deck which would be a pain to move when I'm working. Even with a center channel the DM7 gives me a problem since my sub can only take unbalanced inputs. I tried all kinds of cables and converters, but all seemed to have some kind of compromise.
Center channels need their own space and certainly are not mandatory for music.

Jose Hidalgo

I know. And what happens when you connect it to an unbalanced equipment using any type of balanced > unbalanced cable or adapter? I'm curious.

Center channels need their own space and certainly are not mandatory for music.
Not for stereo music of course: for movies, and more generally for any kind of multichannel audio requiring a center channel.

wjp007

I know. And what happens when you connect it to an unbalanced equipment using any type of balanced > unbalanced cable or adapter? I'm curious.

Not for stereo music of course: for movies, and more generally for any kind of multichannel audio requiring a center channel.
I tried several different forms of cables and got a hum. Tried all kinds of different things. The only thing that worked was an active balanced to unbalanced converter, but I just didn't like the sound.

Jose Hidalgo

I agree that a multichannel DAC with either unbalanced outputs OR unbalanced and balanced outputs would be best. I don't know why Topping decided to implement only balanced TRS outputs on this one. Probably to save some measly cents on costs.

On the bright side, now that they have proven that they can make a great 8-ch balanced DAC, it would make sense for them to make a 4 or 6-ch unbalanced one. Manufacturers always start with the high-end products, and then they build the rest of the product line from there. I can imagine a DM3 (4ch unbalanced only) and a DM5 (6ch balanced/unbalanced). Let's keep hoping!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried several different forms of cables and got a hum. Tried all kinds of different things.
An unbalanced connection is half of a balanced connection. If you can connect an unbalanced DAC to your system without any issues you
should be able to connect a balanced DAC as well. Can you connect a different unbalanced DAC without problems?

Sokel

Master Contributor
An unbalanced connection is half of a balanced connection. If you can connect an unbalanced DAC to your system without any issues you
should be able to connect a balanced DAC as well. Can you connect a different unbalanced DAC without problems?
Not according to Topping:

DO NOT use a ¼“ TS plug (no ring conductor). A ¼“ TS plug will short the inverted signal to ground when inserted into the ¼“ TRS balanced output.
(you maybe think it the other way around,it's out friend's sud that's unbalanced so Topping's (-) will be shorted to ground one way or the other.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I agree that a multichannel DAC with either unbalanced outputs OR unbalanced and balanced outputs would be best. I don't know why Topping decided to implement only balanced TRS outputs on this one. Probably to save some measly cents on costs.
Nope. Unbalanced would have been cheaper but at the expense of some specs.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not according to Topping:

(you maybe think it the other way around,it's out friend's sud that's unbalanced so Topping's (-) will be shorted to ground one way or the other.
That has nothing to do with what I said. I’m talking about circuit you are referring to the connector. Obviously a balanced TRS connector should be inserted to the Topping DAC’s output. That’s a given. However, you can wire that balanced connector output to feed an unbalanced input. This is not rocket science and it’s been done since the 50s. Sleve to sleeve, tip to tip and ring left unconnected.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Maybe if Topping put resistors in series with the line driver ouputs like proper manufacturers, they wouldn't have to post warnings about shorting using a TS 1/4".

Or spend some dollars and put a few relays in line along with a short circuit detection circuit.

Top Bottom