• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING D90 III Sabre DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 7.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 97 25.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 238 63.3%

• Total voters

daniboun

Major Contributor
Why 'smartphone' companies release every new flagship model every year? They are basically the same.

I'll give you small hint, it's called business.
As long as there are fish to bite the hook then there will be business)
We are all victims of marketing and this is even more true since the digital revolution...

delta76

Major Contributor
I agree with the overall message but I believe what they need to work on is features. RME support is great, and given all the functionality of their products, that is useful. I don't think customer support would make a big difference for a DAC like this however. Plug in the cables, chose a filter and that's that.
Don't underestimate how many weird scenarios customers can be using DACs with. Compatibility with players/streamers, and amps, and driver/firmware updates can create huge complexity. It is important to have someone to turn to and actually look into the problem, other than just "have you turned it on and off"

Zippo

A friend here told he bought eleven (11) DACs at the 100-1100 euro price range the last 3 years and they all sound the same.
What's sad is that even last year's DACs at this price range have literally no reselling value,at all, after this race.

And it makes sense,who would pay 400-500 for an 800 euro last year's DAC when it's (inaudible) performance is lower than a 200 euro one?
They even look alike!

Now tell me about cost through time,which is the only meaningful metric.
"No resale value" is absolutely not correct, I regularly see used Topping, SMSL and similar brands sell quickly for about 60%-70% of the - admitably somewhat inflated - brand new prices.
Check HiFi Shark sales stats.
Just buy these used and have them for "free" as you will be able to flip them for no to minimum loss after the initial price drop.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just another DAC status quo. Same played out designed and casework, no new innovative features (maybe except that that Bluetooth remote, someone posted it here).

And most importantly no reason to upgrade. Anyways, next review please.

Reactions: VQR

Ajax

Forum Donor
Fine, but once again only 2 channels ... :mad:
Hey Toni,

The Topping DM7 has 8 channels for US$599

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, it's great - voted great, because it is - but I couldn't justify this feature set at that price. There's no need to spend that much for 'just' a DAC IMO.

I think I really mean "Meh"

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For almost 900 an ADC would have been included.
$900 is a great deal for the performance and relative to what is in the market and historical pricing even if not taking inflation into account. Yeah, I agree it's not for those who are in a race to the bottom of the barrel, but that's not the market that it's targeted for.

I think folks are getting spoiled with the falling HiFi prices in the last decade or so. But regardless there are many many more economical options out there.

Toni Mas

Hey Toni,

The Topping DM7 has 8 channels for US$599

Thanks Ajax! I know this but It seems to be discontinued.

Rhamnetin

I wonder if we haven't already surpassed the human possibility of perceiving improvements. Perhaps these new models are useless for those who already own a recent DAC model

The $80 SMSL SU-1 has surpassed that, so the D90 III doesn't really offer anything more than many lower priced DACs. Improvements in the digital domain via DSP needs to be a bigger focus in this industry.

F1308

Major Contributor
Oh, cheeeeses, still an external Bluetooth antenna
and it is January 2024.

F1308

Major Contributor
The $80 SMSL SU-1 has surpassed that, so the D90 III doesn't really offer anything more than many lower priced DACs. Improvements in the digital domain via DSP needs to be a bigger focus in this industry.
Will my dog notice any improvement ?

Toni Mas

Something like a minidsp Flex with one analogue input (ADC) would be great.

Btw, not another usb audio interface for home studios as we have already plenty of choice by Motu, Focusrite, etc...

BrooklynNick

Amir's measurements have done a great favor for consumers and for the manufacturers who make well engineered DACs. This site provides invaluable education. It has literally changed the industry for the better.

However, having consumers and manufactures who now chase SINAD is also largely due to this website. IMO, the SINAD rankings should be retired and the measurements should now simply say that the SINAD passes (ie is transparent) or fails. A lot of consumers seem to either not understand or not fully believe that these DACs are transparent. As a result, we see more products like the this one, which chases SINAD* rather than providing meaningful upgrades.

* See Topping's product page. They tout the SNR/SINAD/THD+N many times. They also make claims about the DAC chip. Almost no one should care about the chip, but they do because they don't fully believe that these DACs are transparent.

IXOYE

It is about time that Topping and other manufacturers include PEQ, Crossfeed and other useful options in their Dac's, only superb sinad measurements doesn't impress me enough to open my wallet.

Top Bottom