• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

D90 or RME ADI-2 FS for pre-amp? I already have a THX-789 and other balanced/SE DACs for HP use. I intend to use the DAC as pre-amp to a pair of NC500MP monoblocks.
I returned D90 and bought RME. Both are superb DACs but D90 especially MQA edition is not as stable and reliable as the RME. And the RME comes with a powerful EQ adjustment and a headphone amp.
BTW I also have THX-789 and pair it with RME, they work great on my Audeze LCD-X and 6XX.

jae

Still torn between the D90 and RME myself. Since computer is my source 99% of the time the EQ really doesn't matter too much to me, as it's something anyone can do better and more effectively in software. Topping needs to hurry up and make their 90-series dac/amp combo

EdW

Still torn between the D90 and RME myself. Since computer is my source 99% of the time the EQ really doesn't matter too much to me, as it's something anyone can do better and more effectively in software. Topping needs to hurry up and make their 90-series dac/amp combo
At roughly the price of the RME dac there is the Okto dac 8 stereo. Rather long delivery at the moment but its performance arguably betters the D90 or the RME and can include a raspberry pi streamer capable of running bruteFIR for room EQ.

jae

At roughly the price of the RME dac there is the Okto dac 8 stereo. Rather long delivery at the moment but its performance arguably betters the D90 or the RME and can include a raspberry pi streamer capable of running bruteFIR for room EQ.
The Okto is great but at that price for me at least the specs alone are a point of diminishing returns. The only reason I did not buy the RME yet is because I don't like some of the design choices but it's a great piece of kit. I'd prefer something with multiple headphone out, built in PSU, and balanced/xlr head out would be a bonus. Ideally it would be a dac/amp combo. I'd rather buy the RME PRO (which could replace my M4 for ADC) or Matrix Element X at that point if I'm going to pay more than the RME DAC or D90+A90.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Manufacturer
@JohnYang1997 do you know if d90 and a90 respect the AES48 standard? And also if xlr pin 1 is grounded to the chassis
XLR pin is connected to the chassis yes.
But it's not isolated from the internal circuit. It's not connected willy-nilly to the input ground. It's connected in the place where best performance is achieved.

jtwrace

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Got my D90 hooked up and playing. :)

Confirm already did that.
D90 dose has compatibility issues with Apple macOS. My RME is right next to it. I switched it over without any problems. (Regardless of iMac or MBP, streaming Tidal or local PCM files or DSD256 files, and I tested three players: Audirvana 3.5.38\JRiver 26.0.94\HQPlayer Desktop 3.25)
What problems are you referring to? Seems they were solved on 5/9.

Top Bottom