• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

jae

Major Contributor
Still torn between the D90 and RME myself. Since computer is my source 99% of the time the EQ really doesn't matter too much to me, as it's something anyone can do better and more effectively in software. Topping needs to hurry up and make their 90-series dac/amp combo

EdW

Still torn between the D90 and RME myself. Since computer is my source 99% of the time the EQ really doesn't matter too much to me, as it's something anyone can do better and more effectively in software. Topping needs to hurry up and make their 90-series dac/amp combo
At roughly the price of the RME dac there is the Okto dac 8 stereo. Rather long delivery at the moment but its performance arguably betters the D90 or the RME and can include a raspberry pi streamer capable of running bruteFIR for room EQ.

jae

Major Contributor
At roughly the price of the RME dac there is the Okto dac 8 stereo. Rather long delivery at the moment but its performance arguably betters the D90 or the RME and can include a raspberry pi streamer capable of running bruteFIR for room EQ.

The Okto is great but at that price for me at least the specs alone are a point of diminishing returns. The only reason I did not buy the RME yet is because I don't like some of the design choices but it's a great piece of kit. I'd prefer something with multiple headphone out, built in PSU, and balanced/xlr head out would be a bonus. Ideally it would be a dac/amp combo. I'd rather buy the RME PRO (which could replace my M4 for ADC) or Matrix Element X at that point if I'm going to pay more than the RME DAC or D90+A90.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997 do you know if d90 and a90 respect the AES48 standard? And also if xlr pin 1 is grounded to the chassis
XLR pin is connected to the chassis yes.
But it's not isolated from the internal circuit. It's not connected willy-nilly to the input ground. It's connected in the place where best performance is achieved.

Paolosnz

Hi, Today I tested the D90 on a mac mini 2011 and audirvana, it is recognized as an unsupported dsd, on the nuc it is recognized without problems has it happened to you?
Thanks..

Gavin

xevman

Bit of a weird question any idea why no 32bit option appears for the Topping D90 in Windows? I know it doesn't really matter I just find it a bit odd.
rundll32_xs6ArAiNCH.png

VeerK

Bit of a weird question any idea why no 32bit option appears for the Topping D90 in Windows? I know it doesn't really matter I just find it a bit odd. View attachment 75461

That’s odd, I have 32Bit 384K available in my Windows 10 settings. Have you installed the Topping ASIO driver?

burma

Confirm already did that.
D90 dose has compatibility issues with Apple macOS. My RME is right next to it. I switched it over without any problems. (Regardless of iMac or MBP, streaming Tidal or local PCM files or DSD256 files, and I tested three players: Audirvana 3.5.38\JRiver 26.0.94\HQPlayer Desktop 3.25)

What problems are you referring to? Seems they were solved on 5/9.

lupoal

hello,

I'm testing the D90-A90 in these days togheter/against my Little DotMk2 and my Ifi nano BL iDSD, I'm facing something I don't understand and searching the web I 'didn't find the info...
keeping the gain inside the OTL at the same setting, with connection between D90 and OTL via RCA, I have to turn down the volume knob at least 25% to have the same pressure at the out compare to the Ifi... now I'm pretty sure the Ifi has a nominal voltage level of 2V, is it possible the D90 is 2,5V or more?
are there any measures about that?
what I've noticed is that the OTL seems to go higher in temperature with D90, I'm wondering if it can be dangerous, or more stressful, for the OTL electronics

thks in advance for help :)

Veri

Master Contributor
hello,

I'm testing the D90-A90 in these days togheter/against my Little DotMk2 and my Ifi nano BL iDSD, I'm facing something I don't understand and searching the web I 'didn't find the info...
keeping the gain inside the OTL at the same setting, with connection between D90 and OTL via RCA, I have to turn down the volume knob at least 25% to have the same pressure at the out compare to the Ifi... now I'm pretty sure the Ifi has a nominal voltage level of 2V, is it possible the D90 is 2,5V or more?
are there any measures about that?
what I've noticed is that the OTL seems to go higher in temperature with D90, I'm wondering if it can be dangerous, or more stressful, for the OTL electronics

thks in advance for help :)
-D90 is nominal 2V out. Are you sure iFi is not in variable output mode?
-In any case higher output into the Little Dot will not hurt it, no.

Top Bottom