• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Androxylo

Can you explain the volume knobs please! So it means I can connect this one directly to a power amp (I own Schiit Aegir poweramp)? Is the same for D50s?

Right now I use Khadas->Aegir directly using Khadas' digital volume from my computer. Would you suggest any problem with swapping Khadas to 90/50s? Any caveats? Will the difference be any audible? (I can say I'm very happy with this combo now, but squeezing another drop of quality is always good).

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a 3,000 strong FLAC collection but found huge variability in sound quality. Using accurate RIP, some cds sounded great, some awful. This was frustrating.

That had NOTHING to do with FLAC itself. Its the people whom convert. Believe it or not, many convert mp3 to flac !! This is the case of those "awful" as you said.

I don't think I care whether its MQA or DSD!

You should, as MQA is lossy (lol 17-bit AT BEST!), and DSD is THE best digital audio format in the World (atm) for consumers.

~99% as good as DSD / FLAC.

Actually is very far from it. But if you are happy, good for you. :p

Edit: I have ~35,000 FLAC files and they ALL sounds pretty good (not as fantastic as DSD of course). 3 years ago, I did lost 1TB of them due of 3xHDDs failures from a short circuit (ouch!).

Last edited:

Cortes

and DSD is THE best digital audio format in the World (atm) for consumers.

DSD is just sofware manipulation, as with the HQPlayer, or it depends on how masters have been digitalized?. I once tried with a trial version of HQplayer and a DAC SU-8 and didn't notice anything special. Now that I have active monitors that only admits 96hz on digital I'm even less interested.

slingshot

My D90 shipped from China yesterday. Should be here December 31st. IU also purchased a pair of Quad S-2 speakers which should arrive on the same day.

Marutks

I want to buy D90. Is it on aliexpress? In Europe D90 costs 700 gbp :eek:

Starcraft

I use Tidal and like the Tidal interface on my tablet. Does this d90 handle via BT the files correctly or do they get compressed before being sent?

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
It is only 700 euro: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...768khz-dsd512-bluetooth-50-black-p-14281.html

But you are crazy buying this for such money if you can buy a D10 for 85 euro. There is no audible difference.
Do you actually see everyone buying a D10?
Why do the majority of members here always point to the cheapest possible purchase. Has it ever occured to those pointer that features also matters? Not only features, but looks, esthetics , no matter how you turn this, you want something pleasing on your desktop, preferably matching a headphone amp. Me personally i hate no matching devices. The main reason i started replacing my gear with dac/intergrated amp. Would buy any amp/dac combo if they are matching considering measurements are good but for the time being i stick with dac with integrated headphone amp.
I'm pretty shure that as of now there is nothing that can beat the Topping DX7 pro, or Sabaj D5.

Veri

Master Contributor
Seriously? No audible difference? Can you please elaborate?
This site is great in showing the absolute best performance and best tech, but objectively the entire 'tier 1' of DACs should sound the same.

As has been said there is still features, aesthetics, inputs/outputs, ... even the feeling of owning the 'best' is probably worth it to some.

But will upgrading from D70 to D90, for example, be audible? Both fall in the 'stellar' performing category and are objectively transparent.

Celty

This site is great in showing the absolute best performance and best tech, but objectively the entire 'tier 1' of DACs should sound the same.

As has been said there is still features, aesthetics, inputs/outputs, ... even the feeling of owning the 'best' is probably worth it to some.

But will upgrading from D70 to D90, for example, be audible? Both fall in the 'stellar' performing category and are objectively transparent.
Though between the D10 and D90, an audible difference? It's a good question given the significant price margin.

Eirikur

It is only 700 euro: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...768khz-dsd512-bluetooth-50-black-p-14281.html

But you are crazy buying this for such money if you can buy a D10 for 85 euro. There is no audible difference.
Not crazy. I have a D10 now, but might still buy a D90 for the preamp and differential connectivity features... although D70 fulfills this purpose too.
We're simply spoiled for choice, and features beside audibility are just as legitimate a reason for the final decision.

yodog

That would be wasted time. SD Sharp/Sharp and SD Slow/Slow are 100% identical, as described in the data sheet, and can be seen also in the ADI-2 DAC (and others, although I think only the ADI manuals explain it that clearly). The main difference is that one filter set is minimum-phase, the other one linear phase.

and what’s the difference between minimum-phase and linear phase filters...?

Top Bottom