• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

slingshot

Will Stereophile ever measure this Topping D90?
I think their policy requires a manufacturer to have at least five retail dealers before they will review a product. They make their money from ad revenues from these dealers.

Hemi-Demon

For those that have received the unit, can you detail if you hear a click, or pop when changing sample rates, with movies or music, from either the internal relays or audibly in headphones or speakers. Thanks

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think their policy requires a manufacturer to have at least five retail dealers before they will review a product. They make their money from ad revenues from these dealers.
Not always, for example, the Volti Rival speakers are highly recommended Class A level speakers on Stereophile but are direct to consumer from the manufacturer. They're fully reviewed and JA measured these speakers. So yep, it's pretty cool that Stereophile will review what they think is interesting and worthwhile and not always within their financial interests - Volti Audio is a tiny tiny speaker company with zero dealers. Cynics might call this their loss leader to prove a point, or that they took out a page of advertising to get this review, but I'd like to take it at face value because JA's measurements were pretty unsightly to say the least.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For those that have received the unit, can you detail if you hear a click, or pop when changing sample rates, with movies or music, from either the internal relays or audibly in headphones or speakers. Thanks
Do you mean changing sample rates from source to source (USB to coax to AES/EBU) or same source but different content sample rates?

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will Stereophile ever measure this Topping D90?
I doubt Stereophile would want to dive into the massive Chi-Fi equipment review segment unless it's a single review representing the entire Chi-Fi market. However, that said, the fact they even mention Denafrips here and there is a good sign that they know it exists and recognize that quality Chi-Fi have risen above the cheap knock off reputation of its forebears ( el cheapo knock-offs still running strong on Ebay I might add).

Hemi-Demon

Do you mean changing sample rates from source to source (USB to coax to AES/EBU) or same source but different content sample rates?

I mean different content (music) sample rates. My library contains some 16/44, 24/96, 24/192, etc. and I am curious if the D90 clicks or pops when changing sample rate(s). Its not a deal breaker, by any means, just curious.

slingshot

Not always, for example, the Volti Rival speakers are highly recommended Class A level speakers on Stereophile but are direct to consumer from the manufacturer. They're fully reviewed and JA measured these speakers. So yep, it's pretty cool that Stereophile will review what they think is interesting and worthwhile and not always within their financial interests - Volti Audio is a tiny tiny speaker company with zero dealers. Cynics might call this their loss leader to prove a point, or that they took out a page of advertising to get this review, but I'd like to take it at face value because JA's measurements were pretty unsightly to say the least.

Yes, I forgot about Volti. Actually JA was not enthused about the crossover if I remember. I was interested in the Rival at one time. They do have one dealer, Fidelis AV in Nashua, NH but they do not have one in stock. I have been a Stereophile subscriber for 35 years. I just sold my collection which I kept from 1987 to the present to someone last week.

Svperstar

I'm thinking of picking up the D90 but question is will I hear the difference between it and the D30?

ZgSTar

This site is great in showing the absolute best performance and best tech, but objectively the entire 'tier 1' of DACs should sound the same.

As has been said there is still features, aesthetics, inputs/outputs, ... even the feeling of owning the 'best' is probably worth it to some.

But will upgrading from D70 to D90, for example, be audible? Both fall in the 'stellar' performing category and are objectively transparent.

I would agree with you on the top end but someone else was comparing the d10 to the d90...

ahmadie

Well yet to see audiophile with high end gears or mixer or any one in music industry who ditches recognized gears and replace them with topping etc... Not yet, ASR guys don't have money? Can anyone explain why 2 gears which measure the same sounds so different? I know that manufactureres of those super performant DACs, actually do final tuning by hearing over measurement ha

Stellabagpuss

Measurements only go so far, ASR can be a good guide, to a point. The problem is many forum members obsess on technical graphs that are beyond human hearing.
Still the audio world has to keep advancing,shame the major labels don't promote on hi res formats, that life.

Massimo

Well yet to see audiophile with high end gears or mixer or any one in music industry who ditches recognized gears and replace them with topping etc... Not yet, ASR guys don't have money? Can anyone explain why 2 gears which measure the same sounds so different? I know that manufactureres of those super performant DACs, actually do final tuning by hearing over measurement ha

From the interview with Bruno Putzeys on this site:

”Anyone who claims to have found the ultimate test battery that will validate any piece of audio kit (and believe me, I’ve met a few who claimed that there was nothing to amplifiers but a few THD numbers) had better consider the Test Daemon. The Test Daemon is a second Audio Precision that your mortal enemy has programmed first to recognise any test signal and then to set its generator accordingly. That thing, measured as a black box, would pass every test you can do using your first Audio Precision with flying colours but it would fail most amusingly at playing back music.”

deafenears

Forum Donor
... and back on topic, talking about all things Topping D90.

(you're welcome to start a new thread about these "measurements can only tell you so much")

jcadduono

I am loving my D90. The pictures I've seen so far still haven't really done it justice. The OLED screen is amazingly crisp and beautiful.
The only thing I'd change is to add an option to auto-dim the screen to 0 or 5% (preferable) brightness after 5 seconds of sample rate or setting change. I've emailed Topping hoping they could release new firmware with this feature, but I don't know if they will do it.
If anyone else wants this feature, consider sending them an email as well!
The remote has plenty of unused buttons, and yet bluetooth force pair is enabled by long pressing brightness. That is the weirdest design choice. They really should remap bluetooth force pair to the M button, and have long press brightness turn off/on the auto-dimming feature I mentioned above.
The D50 has it!
Other than that, I might replace the rubber nipple feet at some point. If you attempt to push the unit while it's sitting on a granite countertop, the rubber feet will unstick from the unit, lol.

Last edited:

ahmadie

Any subject review about the sound of D90 ? I bought both D50 and D70 and found D70 warmer, laid-back with bigger sound-stage while D50 is brighter while faster and leaner sounding. Does D90 keeps AKM signature of being warmer with superior vocal performance (musical) ? If so I would like to buy one !

Top Bottom