• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

ComasSky

Hi all !

I'm very insterested by this DAC/preamp.

It would be connected to an Emotiva XPA 2.

But I still have a doubt about the use, activating the DAC mode would be catastrophic (0db) and would destroy my speakers.

Is it possible to activate this mode without paying attention via the remote control?

eXlero

i know there's controversy about the subject, but just wanted to let you know that Topping announced the MQA version of the D90 to be available March 1st for 799USD!

1577958712826.png

chasefrench

Bit more than I would like for MQA functionality but will probably still go for it

Just need to see the new SMSL VMV D2!

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm very skeptical of those product specs... even if they've contracted with TI to get a special run of PCM1704, where would they be sourcing the PMD200?
I don't think TI is involved. So old, non-'K' spec PCM1704 chips and old stock PMD200. Pretty limited run probably.

But who knows. You could try mailing them :)

chasefrench

I'm very skeptical of those product specs... even if they've contracted with TI to get a special run of PCM1704, where would they be sourcing the PMD200?

I have messaged Mandy to get some info. Hopefully they will update the specs in response to the D90. All I'm really looking for is a VMV D1 update with MQA and a better screen, then Topping D90 in the living room and SMSL in the office.

Theleb_Kaarna

My 1st post here! Been lurking. Question: I just recently purchased a D70 (use as DAC only) and still have a couple weeks to return it for a full refund if I want to. So return it and pay the difference for a D90, or just keep it? Opinions? What would you do? My complimentary componentry: PC/JRiver/FLAC -> iFi USB3.0 -> *DAC* -> Woo WA6 SE -> HifiMan Arya/AudioQuest Nighthawk/HD650. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions=)

jcadduono

My 1st post here! Been lurking. Question: I just recently purchased a D70 (use as DAC only) and still have a couple weeks to return it for a full refund if I want to. So return it and pay the difference for a D90, or just keep it? Opinions? What would you do? My complimentary componentry: PC/JRiver/FLAC -> iFi USB3.0 -> *DAC* -> Woo WA6 SE -> HifiMan Arya/AudioQuest Nighthawk/HD650. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions=)
If your D70 doesn't have BT, the D90 would be a nice upgrade if you have any plans to use BT. If not, it's not like the upgrade will give you any noticeable improvement other than peace of mind knowing you've got the best feature loaded and measuring DAC you can buy (for a reasonable price). I'd sell the iFi USB3.0 as it's probably worth a fair bit to someone for some reason and does absolutely nothing to improve your audio, and could possibly degrade your audio because it's just another piece of equipment to play with your signal. That would at least make the D90 a more affordable upgrade. Considering you already have a tube amp in your mix, you might as well just grab the D50s instead. It will take up less space and the tube amp will distort the DAC output enough that any SINAD gain from upgrading the DAC will be negated.
And then you can put that saved money into trying some planar magnetics! ;)

Theleb_Kaarna

If your D70 doesn't have BT, the D90 would be a nice upgrade if you have any plans to use BT. If not, it's not like the upgrade will give you any noticeable improvement other than peace of mind knowing you've got the best feature loaded and measuring DAC you can buy (for a reasonable price). I'd sell the iFi USB3.0 as it's probably worth a fair bit to someone for some reason and does absolutely nothing to improve your audio, and could possibly degrade your audio because it's just another piece of equipment to play with your signal. That would at least make the D90 a more affordable upgrade. Considering you already have a tube amp in your mix, you might as well just grab the D50s instead. It will take up less space and the tube amp will distort the DAC output enough that any SINAD gain from upgrading the DAC will be negated.
And then you can put that saved money into trying some planar magnetics! ;)
Thanks for the detailed response! Apologies, I should have mentioned I also have a SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Headphone Amp being fed from the D70's balanced outs, if that has any bearing. So ditch the iFi eh? Hmmm. I've always been a purist for keeping the source signal as untainted as possible with the fewest circuits in the path, using high end cables, etc, but had heard PCs were "noisy" and benefited from the iFi. I'd like to know more. I'll try and research and if you happen to know of any articles...

Thanks again for your reply!

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You will not hear any diffference in sound quality IMO.

jcadduono

So ditch the iFi eh? Hmmm. I've always been a purist for keeping the source signal as untainted as possible with the fewest circuits in the path, using high end cables, etc, but had heard PCs were "noisy" and benefited from the iFi. I'd like to know more. I'll try and research and if you happen to know of any articles...
The thing is, you will know if you have USB problems because your audio will be quite noticeably cutting out. The D70/D90 have built in power supplies that power the USB input too, which means it should not request any power from the PC's USB slot. Your USB cable should just be all digital signal with a ground. There will be nothing there for the iFi to even filter out, except for maybe some environment noise that the XMOS chip will ignore anyway. (would not affect the bits that the XMOS receives)
Basically, if you don't hear dropouts without the iFi, then there is nothing for the iFi to improve.
USB is a bit-perfect protocol, and when the bits are not perfect, it is likely to throw some errors or disconnect the device.
You should be able to find more reviews of iFi purifier products on this site, actually!

Last edited:

Theleb_Kaarna

The thing is, you will know if you have USB problems because your audio will be quite noticeably cutting out. The D70/D90 have built in power supplies that power the USB input too, which means it should not request any power from the PC's USB slot. Your USB cable should just be all digital signal with a ground. There will be nothing there for the iFi to even filter out, except for maybe some environment noise that the XMOS chip will ignore anyway. (would not affect the bits that the XMOS receives)
Basically, if you don't hear dropouts without the iFi, then there is nothing for the iFi to improve.
USB is a bit-perfect protocol, and when the bits are not perfect, it is likely to throw some errors or disconnect the device.
You should be able to find more reviews of iFi purifier products on this site, actually!
Thank you Kindly, appreciate all that! I will definitely check around here and experiment with pulling the iFi out of my signal path, see what I hear (or don't hear;^). Thanks for letting me hijack the thread. Now back to D90=)

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I presume the 10 USD is a licensing fee which plays into your argument.

I have a 3,000 strong FLAC collection but found huge variability in sound quality. Using accurate RIP, some cds sounded great, some awful. This was frustrating.

Tidal sounds far superior to my own collection, and by using tidal / mqa, I have one less audio problem to think about it, I don't think I care whether its MQA or DSD!

However, as we know historically, formats tend to win when there is a commercial incentive to grow them which exists for MQA. They have created a single certification which makes it far easier to unify recording companies and the market. Masters Quality Authentication is also far more marketable to normal consumers than Direct Stream Digital.

At the end of the day, Tidal won me over with its consistency in spite of its commercial nature and that its ~99% as good as DSD / FLAC.
You've hit one the of the key benefits of MQA right on the head; that the quality of PCM rips varies a lot, whereas MQA is confirmed to sound better because there's quality control in the production and conversion process.

The downside is that this starts to lead to higher prices for MQA devices, as is the case with the MQA version of the D90, which I've seen is $100 or $200 more than the 'standard' version. This is problematic imo, and it also constitutes built in redundancy if MQA isn't used in the future, or TIDAL is no longer around, or another version of MQA comes out that can't be read by the older devices. The more I read into the stuff, the happier I am to invest in my vinyl collection and analog audio chain :)

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor

da Choge

Forum Donor
i know there's controversy about the subject, but just wanted to let you know that Topping announced the MQA version of the D90 to be available March 1st for 799USD!
Not quite as much as I anticipated. Not a big MQA believer/fan (just from what I've read and understand - have no personal experience with it as of yet), but at this somewhat nominal $100 price increase, I could be interested just for the added functionality. Don't absolutely need a new DAC right now - but pretty much have already decided on the Topping D90 when I get ready to buy one . . . so by March, if I haven't already bitten, I might think about taking this new bait; prolly depends on whether the standard D90's price has dropped at all by then.

Last edited:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Cheap, but I would pay MORE for the NON-mqa (aka satanic format) version. ;)

Astin Gray 360Z

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review.
i purchased one today 30 to 60 day wait from China.
i looked for about 2 weeks i was going to get a d70.
The chip set made me decide buy the better d90.
I did have a internal struggle with $ 200 difference. Hey what the heck people spend $3500 on speaker cables. LOL

Blue Tooth all thou not the preferred connection i have had 4,2 and 5.0 is a bigger improvement.
Your review brought me here to your Forum.

I noticed you have members using Patreon.
send me a link.

Hmmm. going to use a $800 DAC to control a $400 Valve KT 88. driving $4000 Forte's II

MAKE SENSE TO ME. LOL

Top Bottom