• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

hotdogsandwich

Forum Donor
Mine showed up today. Had a bit of trouble getting the drivers to install, but a few reboots did the trick. A couple hours of listening and it does seem somehow different than than the D10s I was using with the KRK G4’s. Maybe its the cirrus clouds or that i’m leaving everything at 100% coming out of the computer and controlling volume with the D30 pro….or maybe its just new gear smell.

raif71

Major Contributor
Mine showed up today. Had a bit of trouble getting the drivers to install, but a few reboots did the trick. A couple hours of listening and it does seem somehow different than than the D10s I was using with the KRK G4’s. Maybe its the cirrus clouds or that i’m leaving everything at 100% coming out of the computer and controlling volume with the D30 pro….or maybe its just new gear smell.
which "sound" did you prefer ?

ba7777

To whom being annoyed by the "complicated" method of switching between "PRE" and "DAC", please imagine one situation below.

You are sitting on sofa, listening to nice music at 10 pm with D30 Pro in "PRE mode", and its output volume now is relatively low, just say about -37 dBFS.

In this case we suppose by the remote control "PRE mode" and "DAC mode" can be conveniently switched.

After a moment you would like to turn the volume down a little bit, then the remote is picked up and the "-" button should be pressed down.

Unfortunately you, for some reason, press the wrong one for switching between "PRE mode" and "DAC mode", and the output volume is immediately turned up to 0 dBFS...

Think about what will happen next?

jdizzle

Heads up, there is a new firmware for the D30 Pro available https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/491852.html
Also I just installed the driver from the website. I hadnt bothered since it was working fine without it (at least with PCM output)
It required me to 1) run the executable driver installer 2) restart 3) run the executable again *then* it worked. It wasnt clear that I had to run it twice but that's what I needed to do.

To whom being annoyed by the "complicated" method of switching between "PRE" and "DAC", please imagine one situation below.

You are sitting on sofa, listening to nice music at 10 pm with D30 Pro in "PRE mode", and its output volume now is relatively low, just say about -37 dBFS.

In this case we suppose by the remote control "PRE mode" and "DAC mode" can be conveniently switched.

After a moment you would like to turn the volume down a little bit, then the remote is picked up and the "-" button should be pressed down.

Unfortunately you, for some reason, press the wrong one for switching between "PRE mode" and "DAC mode", and the output volume is immediately turned up to 0 dBFS...

Scary scenario!

dac mode should be fixed and uncontrollable in pc or by knob/remote and preamp mode should have only one volume adjustable by alsa(system volume)/knob/remote. i believe this way it makes most sense. if i understand correctly, now it has pc volume on both modes plus one more extra control in preamp mode. i wish they could fix that in an update (if it's even possible to do). actually @JohnYang1997 perhaps one day You'll find some time to answer a curious customer :)

I take back what I said earlier about OS controlled volume. After I installed the drivers, the volume control method changed. OS volume now has no effect.

I agree, however DAC's equipped with a preamp mode, one would think or hope you would still be able to play DSD in preamp mode without having to put it back in pure DAC mode. Otherwise you essentially have made the preamp mode useless for all operating scenarios. If this was the case in this DAC, to me that would be a serious flaw. I'm sure jdizzle will run it through all the scenarios possible and report back to us.

OK I'm sort of new to DSD but I installed drivers and downloaded a track that uses DSD and I was able to get DSD to work in both PRE and DAC modes. In both modes I am unable to control volume via Roon or via OS. The knob on the device works only in PRE mode. And so I see no reason not to have it in PRE mode.

OK... Dangit I was supposed to be asleep an hour ago.

alekksander

Heads up, there is a new firmware for the D30 Pro available https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/491852.html
Also I just installed the driver from the website. I hadnt bothered since it was working fine without it (at least with PCM output)
It required me to 1) run the executable driver installer 2) restart 3) run the executable again *then* it worked. It wasnt clear that I had to run it twice but that's what I needed to do.

Scary scenario!

I take back what I said earlier about OS controlled volume. After I installed the drivers, the volume control method changed. OS volume now has no effect.

OK I'm sort of new to DSD but I installed drivers and downloaded a track that uses DSD and I was able to get DSD to work in both PRE and DAC modes. In both modes I am unable to control volume via Roon or via OS. The knob on the device works only in PRE mode. And so I see no reason not to have it in PRE mode.

OK... Dangit I was supposed to be asleep an hour ago.
Thanks for all he input! I really appreciate it. Seems with no pc vol control at all it's even worse to me. At least it should be working under dac mode in this case (since with pre it would be doubling).

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm as much a Topping fan boy as the next, but the solution is a better digital display with menu options, like the SMSL software installed in their DACs.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Think what will happen next?
You make a good point. However they could employ a simple recessed button on the front or back of the unit and that would be much easier for the average user. I can't tell you how many posts regarding the difficulty switching between these 2 modes I have read on various forums regarding Topping products.

jdizzle

Thanks for all he input! I really appreciate it. Seems with no pc vol control at all it's even worse to me. At least it should be working under dac mode in this case (since with pre it would be doubling).
Maybe theres a way to get it to work. Perhaps I'll play around a bit more when I get the time

Earlxtr

Got my D30pro on order. A few years ago I had a $6000 bryston pre and $3000 Metrum DAC. When I put them up against the smsl m6 all in one dac/pre I could not hear a difference in sound quality. I immediately sold all my expensive pre/DAC gear and bought a few m6. A bigger display with a volume knob would have been nice but I’ve lived without that. Now the d30pro with a volume knob, a bigger display and 4 DAC’s in parallel is still a amazing Bargin compared to my audiophile stuff.
(Fwiw a direct comparison between my Metrum DAC and a Chord Hugo TT 2 LEFT MY Metrum in the dust, so much better sounding but so much more expensive!!! I will wait for trickle down improvements. )

Last edited:

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Simple solution. Don't allow that function via remote.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Slayer

Have you figured out what that difference is yet?
Could it possibly be, the difference of $300 is what your feeling ? :D

alekksander

I put three one hundred dollar bills on top of the D10s and listened with my eyes closed, I could clearly hear a difference.
mostly noticeable with male vocals right? thats normal with american dollar. try making a sandwitch with Benjamin and Grants, You'll be surprised how it changes with different stacks.

Slayer

I put three one hundred dollar bills on top of the D10s and listened with my eyes closed, I could clearly hear a difference.
1616194866087.png

TDD

Hi All.

Would anyone have insight on how the D30 Pro handles the volume attenuation? I would assume within the digital domain completely.
Further to this, are there any internal DAC chip manipulations to convert DSD -> PCM to handle this?

From my understanding, DSD cannot simply have its level raised or lowered hence these conversions.

I ask as I am hunting down a decent DAC with a good volume control to replace my (now gone) preamp. It seems that most units now eschew a high end analog volume control in lieu of digital and simplicity/cost.

For note, the RME ADI-2 DAC FS has also caught my eye with their very clever implementation of the volume and maximizing the S/N ratios, among other perks.

I know full well that despite some crazy specs that modern DAC chips have, it still comes down to execution and the wrapper around it. I doubt anyone can hear the differences of a few dB here and there as we attest to.

Thx for any input.

Kev.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
It seems that most units now eschew a high end analog volume control in lieu of digital and simplicity/cost.
Not just that, they actually match or surpass the performance of a more than decent all-analog preamp in practical use while doing so, with no channel tracking issues and a basically constant noise floor regardless of volume setting.

The ADI-2 DAC actually has somewhat less DAC dynamic range than a number of other DACs but substantially extends it with several analog stage gain settings, so it effectively covers about 139 dB total. Whether you actually need this much flexibility is quite another matter.

Some DACs actually have a special DSD playback mode that disables digital attenuation but this is rather impractical. A DSD > PCM conversion where needed is nothing to be afraid of. I think DSD can in fact hold amplitudes effectively above 0 dBFS but it is strongly discouraged. So in all likelihood a conversion is entirely transparent. One less thing to worry about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom