• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30 DAC Measurement and Review

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately, this is not so. Despite all the enchanting-looking specifications of modern cheap DACs, it is not always pleasant to hear their sound. I would even say - rarely pleasant.
However, I am getting stronger in the opinion that rather the main part of the unpleasant sound comes from the operating system, and not the DAC itself. As it seems to me, in relation to Windows, at least, this is the problem of short processor quantization and excessively small size of continuously allocated / freed memory sections.

Do you have any evidence to support that conjecture? It doesn't take much CPU power or time, or need very tight latency, to keep the USB buffer filled up.

Vosya

A DAC only needs to translate a digital signal into an analog one for amplication, there is an objective goal.
Is there at least one DAC that has achieved this goal, both objectively and subjectively? Which one? Where is there an unconditional confirmation that the set of instrumental measurements, which is being exaggerated here, is identical to the human perception of sound from the compared devices?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there at least one DAC that has achieved this goal, both objectively and subjectively? Which one? Where is there an unconditional confirmation that the set of instrumental measurements, which is being exaggerated here, is identical to the human perception of sound from the compared devices?

I suggest you look at Amir's measurements...

Do you have any objective evidence that the differences are actually audible?

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The argument is about what's causing the changed perception of the sound quality. Nobody is questioning Vosya's perception. He knows what he's perceiving. We're disagreeing with his explanation of what's causing the difference in sound quality perception between things that are technically know to have inaudible differences. This reminds me of my relative's story about a guy that she saw get on the bus who somehow disappeared without the bus ever stopping. Two other people verify that they were the only other people on the bus and that the guy somehow disappeared between stops. Nobody was actually directly looking at him when he blinked out of existence, but it became apparent to everybody that the guy was gone. They're conclusion was that he was an angel. No specific evidence given of his angelic status other than his disappearing and their feelings about it. My conclusion is they all lost track of something somewhere. I'm relating to my personal experience and my understanding of how the natural world works. For the same reason I doubt there's any real audible difference between a d30 and a d50 under controlled testing.

Vosya

...to keep the USB buffer filled up.
What buffer are you talking about? Where is it formed, and what determines its size, what is this value? How does the process of filling and emptying it take place?

Transmaniacon

There are several. I would suggest you read this: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...derstanding-digital-audio-measurements.10523/

It’s unlikely anyone can discern two DACs with a SINAD of 116dB+.

Vosya

For the same reason I doubt there's any real audible difference between a d30 and a d50 under controlled testing.
Try it yourself. And then you will have a real argument: he was hallucinating, but I don't hear any difference. So far, I have not seen a single one with own experience. Several quoteer of other opinions, taken a priori, thoughtlessly.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What buffer are you talking about? Where is it formed, and what determines its size, what is this value? How does the process of filling and emptying it take place?

Do you really need me to explain that? Have you ever written a device driver? Do the words "interrupt" and "DMA" have any meaning to you?

Transmaniacon

Were, so beloved here, double blind mass examinations, with representative results?

This is science, we know the limits of human hearing. These devices are operating beyond that threshold.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try it yourself. And then you will have a real argument: he was hallucinating, but I don't hear any difference. So far, I have not seen a single one with own experience. Several quoteer of other opinions, taken a priori, thoughtlessly.

Thanks, but I have tried. I have tested and compared quite a few DACs, and with most modern DACs (that have not been designed to have a "sound") there is no audible difference.

Vosya

Do you really need me to explain that? Have you ever written a device driver? Do the words "interrupt" and "DMA" have any meaning to you?
Why not. Considering that USB does not use DMA in any way, and interrupts do not refer to the size of the buffer at all, I conclude that this is a pathetic attempt to evade an answer due to ignorance.

Vosya

Thanks, but I have tried. I have tested and compared quite a few DACs, and with most modern DACs (that have not been designed to have a "sound") there is no audible difference.
Have tested D30 and D50?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Is there at least one DAC that has achieved this goal, both objectively and subjectively?

Lots...

Here's a good thread to start.

And, here's a good one for a sense of perspective about how small these differences are.

The shoutometer hasn't come up in a while...

Vosya

I am amused by the theses of those who have learned to measure and compare only the cross-sectional area. But not knowing about the existence of heights. For them, the shoebox and the column of the building are roughly equal.
The set of measurements practiced here for comparison and categorical conclusions is by no means exhaustive. And I think the future will prove it.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not. Considering that USB does not use DMA in any way, and interrupts do not refer to the size of the buffer at all, I conclude that this is a pathetic attempt to evade an answer due to ignorance.

If you say so, but... USB DMA

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am amused by the theses of those who have learned to measure and compare only the cross-sectional area. But not knowing about the existence of heights. For them, the shoebox and the column of the building are roughly equal.
The set of measurements practiced here for comparison and categorical conclusions is by no means exhaustive. And I think the future will prove it.

I am amused by those who flowerpot. But not knowing bicycle.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My mention: "in relation to Windows" - in convulsive attempts to save face, did you choose to ignore? As well as the actual content of my initial question?

Well, you seem to ignore my requests for evidence, and as you seem to have felt the need to resort to ad hominems and insults, I don't feel a huge need to continue the discussion.

Vosya

Well, you seem to ignore my requests for evidence
Evidence of what? Observations that after switching all devices, supporting this, to MSI-mode; setting the Windows operating system thread manager to “Long, Fixed, No foreground boost” intervals of context switching; setting the system directs all drivers and all executables to use Large-Page memory regions; setting of Heap De Commit Free Block Threshold and Heap De Commit Total Free Threshold parameters increased by several orders of magnitude higher than the officially supported by M$; increasing the size of the default Heap Segment, System Pages, Paged Pool Size, Non Paged Pool Size to the maximum - in total led to the sound of the DAC became as if I had changed it to something from a completely different market niche and price category?
Do the same, maybe then you will have something to discuss from your own experience. This is the essence of the "scientific method". And not in the choral bleating of the mantra: "double blind, double blind".

Last edited:
Top Bottom